PDA

View Full Version : Pergola with traditional joinery

Afro Boy
5th March 2009, 01:15 PM
Hi folks,

I'm about to start putting together a pergola attached to the side of the house. Permits and all that stuff permitting, I'm hoping to make use of some traditional joinery in this piece.

I'm after some ideas from you intelligent folk here. :U

Going to use metal fastners to anchor the posts into the stirups and a bearer to the roof extenders at the other end. Everything else is up for ideas. I've sketched a few little pieces below but am keen for some more ideas and thoughts.

Thanks,
Af.

orraloon
5th March 2009, 06:09 PM
I will be interested in whether the council will approve the wedged tennon or the wood pins.
Is the pergola going to be covered or open to the weather. Will be an interesting project.
Keep posting.

Afro Boy
5th March 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks. Yeah, that will definitely be interesting. That why I'm keen to get a few ideas on the different types of joinery I could look at using.

It's going to be covered so anchoring to the ground is really important - don't want it taking off in the wind! On that point, any thoughts on how the joists (rafters?) might connect to the bearers?

Thanks,
Af.

artme
5th March 2009, 10:00 PM
Thought you had vanished Afro, obviously just been scheming and plotting.

All options look good Think dowels will be better than wedges for reasons associated with weathering.. See if you can find some engeneering info on the web to counter any possible objections by council.

orraloon
6th March 2009, 02:52 PM
Afro,
I did a covered deck about 5 years ago and found building specks by searching pergola plans. From memory the posts are 100x100 and rebated 25mm to take cross members. The bearer that takes the rafters are bolted to the uprights with 12mm bolts so the council may not like the idea of wood pins. I would start by finding out the council regs first as decks and pergolas under a certain size do not require permission. And as you will have guessed no 2 councils have the same requirements.
Regards
John