PDA

View Full Version : Disposable 1/3 HP 5 speed GMC Drill Press needs more heigth

barrysumpter
28th May 2004, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

Any one know where I might be able to get a column to fit this model.

I just need to add a few centimeters to it.

:cool:

echnidna
28th May 2004, 07:26 PM
If you can turn the base 180 degrees just put a spacer under it.

bitingmidge
28th May 2004, 07:52 PM
Umm I don't know if I should admit this, but on my Ryobi of similar description, I had a job that just had to be done, so I cut the post about 125mm above the base, and through bolted two 300 long bits of 38mm Angle iron, leaving a 100 mm gap.

The ryobi doesn't use that last 300 anyway. It worked fine, but looked a bit like it was! I found another bit of pipe on a job that turned out to be exactly the right diametr and replaced the whole shooting match.

If you go much higher the balance seems to get upset for reasons that I can't fathom, so you will have to bolt it all down.

good luck,

P

barrysumpter
29th May 2004, 08:26 AM
The Z position looses all kinds of stability.

Its got to stay in the C position.

Its bolted down most of the time.

Any suggestion where I might find a column like this?

Perhaps a metal supplier of some sort ?

barrysumpter
22nd August 2004, 08:41 PM
Just had another go at finding a 45mm Outside Diameter tube.

Nope, nada. 40mm and 50mm are Australian standards and Australia suplliers can't order one for me.

Its from an American GMC bench top drill press.

GMC Melbourne won't even afford a replacement to weld onto. Prats.
Triton spoil us.

' They never come back. Never. Ever.'

Just going in tomorrow to a metal workers to see if they can cut just below the head. And perhaps make an I beam from something smaller or larger.

Like you posted 300 mm of the top are not being used.

hmmmmmmmmmm

just had another flash. Maybe Ryobi has a 45mm tube.

bitingmidge
22nd August 2004, 08:55 PM
just had another flash. Maybe Ryobi has a 45mm tube.

46mm OD (mine anyway!)
P
:D

barrysumpter
22nd August 2004, 09:07 PM
Embarassed to ask...

Got any left?

bsrlee
22nd August 2004, 09:23 PM
So, you have found the wonderfull, helpfull staff at the metal yard :rolleyes:

I've found, along with a LOT of others, that most metal supplier's employees don't want to know what they are really selling. There may well be 45mm o.d tube, in various wall thicknesses, but you'll have to take a vernier caliper to the yard & go around the racks measureing. You'll probably find that there is a 40mm 'nominal' tube that will do. If you can get hold of a decent catalog the tables have actual sizes for the different grades of tube. You may have to look at 'hydraulic' tube, Cro-Moly seamless, or Oil refinery seamless tube - just to mention a few different categories, before you find something that fits. Most places will just want to sell you gal. water pipe or re/blue painted fence stock.

Also check out used 'recycled' metal dealers, they may have some odd stuff you can use too.

bitingmidge
22nd August 2004, 09:36 PM
Embarassed to ask...

Got any left?

Sorry, I actually chopped it back down to near stock height when I got the floor press... then moved house and "lost" all my good bits and pieces... :rolleyes:.

bsrlee's right though.. there's lots of stuff around in stupid sizes, and many are measured ID, I'll try to summon the engergy to take off the base and measure that for you...in the meantime, try someone odd, like a stainless steel fabricator.

Cheers.

P

barrysumpter
22nd August 2004, 09:45 PM
bsrlee,

Gotta be 45 not 43 not 48...

Tak Calipers ... I wish!

Rang Carba-Tec.

'Yeah we might have some upstairs. Hang on I'll take some calipers up and check.'

"Looks like you're in luck. 45mm in outside diamater off an old Whatchamadoodle"

Me: "Cool, be there in 15"
...... There in 10

"Oh sorry, that was 48 not 45."
Me: "Bastards!"

:D

derekcohen
22nd August 2004, 10:24 PM
Barry

I don't know if this will work, but if you just need a few centimetres temporarily, then you may get away by removing the (movable) table and using the base instead. Shim it up to the height you need.

The other method is to twist the drill/head 90 degrees, so that it points over the side of a bench/stand, and build your own adjustable subtable (off the top of my head I'm visualising an adjustable shelf, but there is no reason why you can't utlise your existing adjustable table in a new set up).

What you think?

Regards from Perth

Derek

bitingmidge
22nd August 2004, 10:29 PM
Trouble is by the time you stuff around, the cost of the fuel alone will add up to more than the cost of a floor press! That's what I concluded, but the little machine is still really handy!

You could have one turned out of solid stock of course, or even thick-walled tube, but it would cost more than the cost of the drill.

Cheers,

P

AlexS
22nd August 2004, 10:36 PM
I just need to add a few centimeters to it.

:cool:

Story of my life, mate!

barrysumpter
23rd August 2004, 07:41 AM
Hi Derek,

Been there and tried all that. Stability issues and too much muckin around for too much give in the plunge. :)

Midge
Picked up a few bits and bobs at Carba-tec so it wan't a waste of time or petrol. (As if I ever need an excuse for a trip to Carba-Tec. :rolleyes:)

I've got a floor model but my accessories won't fit it.

I just can't see the need to spend another $300. :mad:

If the tube were readily available it would cost less than $10.

AlexS,
It's not how old you are its how long you last! :D

Bob Willson
23rd August 2004, 10:13 AM
I would try doing what Midge did. Just cut the post in half, find a bit of tube that is "almost right' and then drill two holes at 90 degrees to each other above and below the cut out bit. (that is two above and two below) This will be more than adequate for the extra height and you can use the top part of the tube that would not normally be used for anything else. Stuff bits of wood up the tube if you are worried about movement. That is another idea, if you have a lathe then just turn a wooden post for the extra length. You still have to cut the post but the size will then be spot on.

barrysumpter
24th August 2004, 09:13 AM
OK :) took it to the metal workers on Monday.
2 mins from my home.
Really nice guy. My 4th trip to discuss same problem.
More helpfull each time I went.

Will cut just below where the head fits.

Weld on the 43 mm ouside diameter tube.

"Stability shouldn't be a problem."
"It'll be perfectly straight"

$AU30.

$94 GMC 5 Speed. Disposable.

Quite happy with the value returned so far. :D

Thanks for all the support people.

barrysumpter
27th August 2004, 08:30 AM
Yep, Retrieved yesterday.

All fitting and aligning perfectly.

Height extended just right.
No top heavy toppling.

He had sanded everything down for a
non-sharp smooth finish.

Even used his own metal.

And only charged me $25.

Very Happy with the work.

:p

bitingmidge
27th August 2004, 12:05 PM
Great! Now I can sleep nights! :D

Without being rude, what was your total extension, and is it working like a bought one?
:D :D :D

Cheers,

P