PDA

View Full Version : up coming project advice

new_guy90
5th March 2009, 08:40 PM
ok i have bee asking stuff on the metal work forum for advice for this "project" i want to do here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=89992

ok so what i want to do is get a new lathe ......a Vicmarc .......problem is i dont think i should spend $1200 plus on a lathe and then still have to get the bench and accessories :( im to poor .....but luck changed a month ago with me getting a job :U the pay is apprentice wages so not that much but great for me :U but one bad thing that happened was i haven't the time for wood turning much, pens would be really good but i dont want to do them on the old lathe (not accurate enough) so i thought about getting a new one, the VL100 and i have enough money to get the bench mounted model (the one with out the motor, and i dont feel bad about the price) so a few problems like the motor and the bench thats why i asked the metal work forum and they helped but now i want some advice from turners who have done similar stuff.......... ill just give a brief description

i want it to be.....
1) small compact and movable would be nice but still heavy
2) im going to use something like 50X50mm box section and angle iron for the frame but the sizes may change latter
3) nice thick heavy wooden top at least 30mm thick .....well get to that latter
4) the motor will be housed under the bench in a self contained compartment but still easy to change speeds .......varie speed would be nice but to much work. ill post a link to the one im thinking of getting oh and i want a reversing switch on it to
5) some wooden draws would be nice for tools
6) and finally room for accessories .......ill tell you about them latter

ok so thats what i want there is more ill list specifics on each thing as they come to mind. here are some pics of what i want it to look like its only small 800x800x350 i think but those lengths will change latter when i know the correct sizes of the motor and the lathe (help with that would be appreciated to) ill put them as links as i cant attach them :(( (hope it works)
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/bench2renderdleft.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/bench2renderdright-1.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/bench2steelframe.jpg

ok hope i could give you a picture of what i want to do, its for fun as well as for getting a new tool :U oh and Jim i know what you would say but im trying a new philosophy "theres no point saving money if you dont spend it and spend it before something comes up that takes it :(("

enjoy

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
6th March 2009, 09:21 AM
Love your drawings - will you build me one too?

Other then that - I have no advice, this being outside my realm of experience :)

Ed Reiss
6th March 2009, 01:22 PM
Patrick...once again the Rhino 3D has come in handy for planning. That should be a sturdy stand, although you might want to give some thought to X bracing the end legs. It would help with rigidity.

Ran across a 3D modeling program called Blender (free!!!!), that looks pretty comprehensive...ya' might want to check it out.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2009, 03:43 PM
I'm not a fan of drawers on the front of lathe benches... I found that mine always filled up with sawdust and shavings, even when the drawers seemed to be shut properly. :C I'd constantly be removing the tools from the drawers so I could yank 'em out to empty the crap...

One solution I thought of would be to use a wire mesh for the bottoms (like 'frig shelves) so the bulk of the crud would simply fall through or could be blown out with an air hose - but then I couldn't throw in loose screws, pencils, etc.

Another solution I've seen is to put cupboard doors in front of the drawers. Hinged doors, not sliding ones, as otherwise the bottom rail collects dust making the doors awkward to open. Of course, this means you need to open a door to open a drawer to... :rolleyes:

So, I've left mine as an open shelf which I stack (some of) my blanks on. They both weigh the bench down to prevent it from walking the shed and I don't care if they get covered in shavings. At the end of the day a quick squirt of air and a pass of the vac... and I'm happy. :)

Oh... and talking of walking the shed... Ed's suggestion of bracing the legs is a very, very good one! :wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2009, 03:52 PM
Patrick...once again the Rhino 3D has come in handy for planning. That should be a sturdy stand, although you might want to give some thought to X bracing the end legs. It would help with rigidity.

Ran across a 3D modeling program called Blender (free!!!!), that looks pretty comprehensive...ya' might want to check it out.

The 3D SW I use - and reckon can't be beat - is Newtek's Lightwave. But at around US$1k a pop for just the core, I doubt many other turners would even look at it. :rolleyes:

(Could be worse... I also have Maya, which cost me about US$5k. :oo: The money we spend on our hobbies... and then take up some other hobby altogether. Tsk tsk! :no:)

new_guy90
6th March 2009, 06:33 PM
thanks for your comments and advice everyone there all good ideas :2tsup:

ok ill talk a bit more on this and ask some Q's, last nights post was very long and it was very late at night (for me :()

skew good thoughts on the draws .....what if they were a nice fit so there is not much room for the crap to get in? i still would like to have them

ED thats a good idea about the bracing .......the box section will be welded and i may put another rail on the sides at the bottom for more support im just not sure what to use for the bracing and if it will affect changing the belts for the motor....... now there are a few more ideas to draw up :U oh and ill look in to that "blender" program thanks for the tip

Eliza give it some more time and you will see you may want a new lathe and by then you will know what you want ......sort of like me i haven't had my my lathe that long but its shown me i like the small stuff and its to big for that so while i have the money and a need for a project ill get one

while thinking about the bench and lathe and what i wanted on it (i already want to put a desk lamp on it for light) i got to thinking about what i want to add to it latter, so what accessories and just odd tips do you guys have about little things that are really handy for the lathe?

i was also thinking about space for a small vacuum for a) a vacuum chuck and b) a dust collector. i know these things take a lot of work but how good would it really be?

and any more thoughts on construction?

again thanks for the help

Patrick

Manuka Jock
6th March 2009, 08:36 PM
Patrick ,

Harry 72 made his steel stand a year or so ago .

You could check out this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=53447&highlight=Harry72+stand), and then ask Harry how it has worked out .

orificiam
6th March 2009, 09:37 PM
Hi Patrick.regarding the draws, if you must have them you could make the top of the
front panel lean back say 12mm, that way the bottom would be sticking out past the top,that way the dust and shavings would go straight to the floor.
as long as you remember to close the draws,
something I keep forgeting to do.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

new_guy90
7th March 2009, 11:48 AM
Manuka jock thanks for the link but that bench is over kill for the little VL100 but thanks anyway

Tony nice idea with the draws :2tsup: thanks

about the draws i was looking on the net and i saw on a Canadian forum a guy made his bench but in the draws were cross pieces with grooves so the chisels couldn't fall through and fell right into there place, i liked that idea but the length of my chisels and the amount of them (and the ones ill add to that) wont allow for it :( .........right now im not sure ill put the long draw on or a draw on at all! i don't do cabinet making and i don't have any of the tools for it so that will be a problem. as for the stand i was thinking of an A frame sort of thing but that didn't work as well as i thought it would. right now im thinking of how to simplify it oh and on casters ill post pic's latter.

has anyone done this before i mean got the bench mounted VL100 and made a stand of it? and to anyone with a mini is the expendable bed worth it?

hopefully i can get things rolling next Wednesday when i get paid :U and my work is really close to Hare & Forbes!!!!!!!!!! why haven't i gone in there yet!!!!!

thanks for the help

Patrick

issatree
7th March 2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Patrick,
In my opinion, the way to go is to put your Lathe on Rails. If you go for a bench, all the Shavings collect on the bench, and you are bound to loose something at some stage. I realise mine is a "Tough" Lathe, and I was lucky to find some
sq. 3 x 3 material. A single Upright of 8 x 3 " C " chanel, and 2 feet either side of the chanel, at the base. This was all Steel of course.
An Idea I found also was to use 4 / 6 peices of Sheet Lead between the Lathe and the Rails. Depends on how many Bolts you have to use.
Cut a hole ( Wad Punch ) in the Lead then, use Bandsaw to cut into the Hole, in so making it a Keyway. Using a Keyway is that you don't have to thread the Lead to the Bolt. The Lead will Deaden the Vibrations it may have.
If you are going to bolt the frame to the floor, also use the Lead again, between the Feet and the Floor, more Deadening and will make the Lathe quiter.
Believe me this does work, and not only on Lathes, but most Machinery.
REGARDS,
ISSATREE.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2009, 04:56 PM
has anyone done this before i mean got the bench mounted VL100 and made a stand of it? and to anyone with a mini is the expendable bed worth it?

I hope you mean extendable and not expendable? :D

If you're looking at turning walking sticks, standard lamps and the like, then yes it's more than worth it.

On the other hand, if you've no clear idea of what you'll be turning then don't buy one now... they're easily added on later. Of course, this means that you'd have to make allowances for later addition in your bench/stand design, but it never hurts to have a little extra bench space to lay down your tools, etc. during turning. (Trust me on this. Hehe)

ie. Build your bench long enough to take an extension bed later if and when it's needed. In the meantime, enjoy the luxury of the extra space. :wink:

new_guy90
7th March 2009, 07:12 PM
I hope you mean extendable and not expendable? :D

On the other hand, if you've no clear idea of what you'll be turning then don't buy one now... they're easily added on later. Of course, this means that you'd have to make allowances for later addition in your bench/stand design, but it never hurts to have a little extra bench space to lay down your tools, etc. during turning. (Trust me on this. Hehe)

ie. Build your bench long enough to take an extension bed later if and when it's needed. In the meantime, enjoy the luxury of the extra space. :wink:

thanks for advice and yeah i meant extendable bed :doh: (my dictionary said it was wrong!!!!!!!) yeah i wanted to know if i would/should get it so that i can add it to the design of the bench .......just space is a bit tight right at the moment :(( it will be gone in April till then ill have squeeze. i also have another larger poorly made lathe that sits on a really large table that i want to get rid of latter so anything large can be done on there for now but it takes up way to much space .........yeah ill think about the extra space would go really well with this option i thought of but you will see soon:U

Patrick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2009, 07:39 PM
Ah, yes... a space problem. I'm sure that most of us here know that problem well! :D

Most turners go from a mini-lathe to a larger one because they want to turn a larger diameter - bowls and the like - rather than because they want to turn longer items.

So, if you think you'll be doing a lot of turning for furniture, then an extension bed is worth it. But for your average home hobbyist it's not worth it, esp. if you don't have the room.

new_guy90
7th March 2009, 09:00 PM
yeah skew the bigger lathe is good but it has shown me i like the small stuff right now as i dont have big blanks and im a bit couscous about what i make but yeah i will have room in a month ...when i get the major stuff going so ill have a think about the extra room.... but if not theres alway the old lathe

ok now im so excited to show you guys this im really pleased with this design so here it is ........

ok this one is not what i was talking about i dont like it but ill show anyway. its just a different frame i thought would work better .....maybe not
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/benchidea4.jpg

now this is the one .........sorry dial up users but its worth it :U i got rid of the big draw with a shelf and a box can be put there for the small accessories, a smaller panel for the controls and now the motor will be left open so its really easy to change the speed
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/benchidea6full.jpg
and a view of the frame with out the bottom runner. made out of box section and angle iron the legs will be bolted/screwed onto the wooden top and shelf
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/benchidea6frame.jpg
and now finally the best idea of the day :U the chisel shelf, rack, sliding draw thing
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/benchidea6slidingchiseldraw.jpg
well i think its a great idea but a few problems ......the bench isn't wide enough for most chisels so they will stick out the back and the really long ones will have there handles pocking out the front so they may get knocked while turning and no one wants them falling on the floor :~

tell me what you guys think

Patrick

orificiam
7th March 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Patrick nice stand I think it will do the job OK. The legs will have to be braced though.
About the Chisels sticking out why not make the tool rack facing the other way
that way your chisels can be as long as they need to be and they will not get in your way.
Cheers Tony.:):)

new_guy90
8th March 2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Patrick nice stand I think it will do the job OK. The legs will have to be braced though.
About the Chisels sticking out why not make the tool rack facing the other way
that way your chisels can be as long as they need to be and they will not get in your way.
Cheers Tony.:):)

where should they be braced? the angle iron is welded to the A frame but do you think it needs another piece of box section between the legs?
as for the chisels going the other way well you wouldn't get many sitting well and i think it would be awkward
thanks for the thoughts
Patrick

orificiam
8th March 2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Patrick yes a box tube between the legs to stop the lathe moving sideway.
Cheers Tony.

Fredo
9th March 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Patrick, been there, done that, twice. I, like you, bought a bare VL100 to make a dedicated pen lathe. I built my own stand and fitted a one-horsepower variable speed motor and controller. The motor is mounted under the stand which makes it non-portable. See pics.

Second lathe is a VL 100 variable speed I built a stand for when I need to be mobile. The lathe and tool caddy can easily be removed to transport. See pics.

These are the only pics I have. If you need more pics or info, post and I'll see if I can help.

Fredo :U

Fredo
10th March 2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Patrick

I have posted some drawings (hand drawn, best I can manage) this should cover the information you need.
1. Side view of stand with dimensions.
2. Front view with dimensions.
3. Directions on how to weld the top frame together. Material is 50 x 50 x 5 angle.
4. How to make adjustable feet.
Here is a tip on how to make the legs. Find a piece of MDF or ply and draw up a full scale template of the side view of the legs. This will help to work out angles to cut the RHS also you can clamp the leg parts to the template to tack weld together.
This is how mine is built but you could change any dimensions to suit yourself.
Good luck with it. If you need more information just ask.

Fredo :U

new_guy90
10th March 2009, 08:22 PM
wow Fredo thanks for the neat drawings they are really helping :2tsup: i had the same sort of idea about how to make the leveling feet and using hockey pucks under the bolt heads for added support (got the idea from a guy using it for under his miller) good idea i thought. thanks for the tip to use the template to weld it up. thought about getting a small arc welder yeah that will come in really handy in the shed :D

thanks again fredo your the best :2tsup:

Patrick

Tim the Timber Turner
11th March 2009, 12:02 PM
Patrick

If you want it solid you need to cross brace the 2 sets of legs.

One way of doing this is bolt a back board to the 2 rear legs. This needs to be a minimum of 500mm deep.

Another thing to consider is on one end install 2 jacking screws. If you have a realy solid stand you need some way of getting it to sit solid on the floor. Of course you can shim the wobbly leg but jacking screws are more precise and make it easy should you need to move the lathe often.

Hope this helps

Cheers