PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Bookshelf ideas

nrand
5th March 2009, 09:55 PM
I just purchased an old redwood bookshelf that came out of the old Australian Parliament building many years ago. I think these were a gift from the US Govt to OZ. It is fairly large, 7' x 5' . I am in Adelaide, although originally from California, so this is kind of a nostalgia trip as well, but no one here has ever worked with redwood, as it is not easily available. The raised edges on the front are fairly beat up, beyond repair, so I was thinking how best to bring this back to square edges and how to finish it. The rest of the shelves are in very good shape except for some evidence of borer on the bottom panel probably many years ago. The unit is probably at least 50 years older or more. Is a hand plane best? Advice from those with experience working with this material will be appreciated as I don't want to stuff it up!

astrid
5th March 2009, 10:22 PM
Dont square up anything:no:
The dings are patena, smooth out any splintery bits and leave it be, otherwise it will look like a brand new pine bookshelf.

nrand
6th March 2009, 07:13 AM
Dont square up anything:no:
The dings are patena, smooth out any splintery bits and leave it be, otherwise it will look like a brand new pine bookshelf.

Thanks for this input - what would you use for a finish?

The Bleeder
6th March 2009, 07:49 AM
Nrand,

It is Californian Redwood you are talking about. Lightweight and very soft.

astrid
6th March 2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for this input - what would you use for a finish?
Blonde shellac or danish oil

nrand
10th March 2009, 01:55 PM
Blonde shellac or danish oil

I read elsewhere that Danish oil is not good for high wear areas. This book shelf will get a fair bit of use so I am wondering about a two part finish. Is it advisable to shellac over the DO and if so how?
Thanks

astrid
10th March 2009, 05:44 PM
danish oil is a wipe on poly.hard enough for bookshelves.
you can apply a coat of shellac under DO, to reduce absorbtion rate.
You can prolly put it on top, but I cant think of a reason why you would want to.