PDA

View Full Version : Where are my mates?

artme
5th March 2009, 11:00 PM
OK wine drinkers, what's the problem? No good drops lately? Consumed by other passions?

See that some Pommy research has it that imbibing alcohol increases the risk of cancer!!!

Well bugger me!! If I'm going to get cancer I might as well enjoy it!:D:D:D

Wongdai
5th March 2009, 11:29 PM
At least we'll go down happy! :D

masoth
6th March 2009, 12:27 AM
I used to drink wine and enjoyed it too, but first I gave up whites and now I've quit reds. White imbibing ceased when I fully understood the commercial making practice, and reds because I can no longer behave after drinking two glasses - it knocks me about too much.:?
I still like the red but can't drink it safely.

soth

Carry Pine
7th March 2009, 06:56 PM
I've been drinking that one where you don't need to get to go up in the middle of the night:

Pinot more!

Graham

Tex B
7th March 2009, 07:01 PM
I'v been trying out a few different chardonnays (we are really spoiled for choice here in Oz), but keep coming back to the reds. I like 'em solid, earthy, unpretentious, a little shy, with a bit of kick. I also like red wine :wink:

Tex

Buzza
12th March 2009, 09:10 PM
Whites go to my head right away. So I just stick with reds. Mainly the 5 litre casks, as it is real value for money, and helps the tucker go down. :oo:

weisyboy
12th March 2009, 09:22 PM
Whites go to my head right away. So I just stick with reds. Mainly the 5 litre casks, as it is real value for money, and helps the tucker go down. :oo:

they can also be fitted to a iv drip quite easily:D

author: everyones finaly woken up to tehm selves and started drinking bundy:2tsup:

Buzza
12th March 2009, 09:43 PM
Pull the plug off, half fill with water, replace plug, lay flat in freezer. You will have the perfect floor type ice bag for your esky in a few hours.

Take the bag out of your next full cask, lay it on the iced bag and have a BBQ. with your cool wine on hand.

Small kids love a blown up cask, but rinse it out well first, as they may get a whiff of the wine.

Hang blown up casks in trees to scare away thieving birds.

Bundy is not wine, and it is expensive. Bundy is good though.

Bundy liquere (sic) is the best drink in the world, but you cannot be served pints of it, only a thimble full at a time. You also cannot buy it in South Australia. :((

artme
13th March 2009, 08:38 PM
Cask bags can also be inflated and hung in trees to help keep birds away from fruit.

Enough of the Chateau Cardboard!!

Found some great cleanskins at !st Choice lately. 2006 Merlot and a 2007 Shiraz. 2007 Cab stacks up very well at the price.

chippy 71
14th March 2009, 12:06 AM

Bundy liquere (sic) is the best drink in the world, but you cannot be served pints of it, only a thimble full at a time. You also cannot buy it in South Australia. :(([/quote]

Then make your own like I do, it is cheap and tastes good too.:2tsup:

Colin.

fenderbelly
16th March 2009, 04:50 PM
Pull the plug off, half fill with water, replace plug, lay flat in freezer. You will have the perfect floor type ice bag for your esky in a few hours.

Take the bag out of your next full cask, lay it on the iced bag and have a BBQ. with your cool wine on hand.

Small kids love a blown up cask, but rinse it out well first, as they may get a whiff of the wine.

Hang blown up casks in trees to scare away thieving birds.

Bundy liquere (sic) is the best drink in the world, but you cannot be served pints of it, only a thimble full at a time. You also cannot buy it in South Australia. :((
Was in Bundaberg last year did the tour of the plant, they said you can now only buy their liqueur there in their tasting room.

Cheers Fred

Buzza
16th March 2009, 10:10 PM
WOW!

That makes it a very rare drop then.

Yes, enough of the Chatoo Carboard, I must see what is on offer in my bottle cabinet for Friday night with the fish and chips. I do like a good bottled red of course, it's just this lousy budget I'm on. :-

Horsecroft88
20th March 2009, 12:58 PM
Chateau Cardboard, eeks I can proudly say none has passed my lips in years. I wouldn't even cook with it, since if it is not good enough to pass my lips it is not good enough to go into the cooking.

As to decent drops well I can say as far as quaffers go, for a red out of South Australia, good old Koonunga Hill shiraz, or Cabernet shiraz or Cab merlot is pretty reasonable for $10-12, or if after a white, there are plenty of NZ Malbourough Sound Sauvignon Blancs on offer at the moment ie. Gunn Estate for around $10-11.

For my palatte I have a couple of price ranges, the drink now wines for between $10-15 and the ones to go to the cellar from $25 upwards. The '83 Grange is still sleeping, which is being kept good company by some '96 and '98 Bin 28, 128, 407 and 389, as well as a number of decent Premier Cru Bordeauxs etc.

Mind you I also managed recently to obtain 4 cases of some pretty nice clean skin Rieslings (Joe Cromy, Northern Tas) for $11 from the father of Cromy's wine maker, Luke Dineen. Its drinking really well now but will improve with some more cellaring. Dave

kbad
31st March 2009, 04:51 PM
Thought i would share a few from the Wild West, you should be able to find them online. Pinelli Wines excellent drop small winery in the Swan Valley, makes a beautiful Port one cheap the other Grand Tawny bit dear but is ambrosia, His whites and reds are made along the Italian line and are quite drinkable when young. Edgecombe brothers another small winery don't know if they are available online his Muscat is verrrrry good. Talijancich and Kosovich wines are top shelf don't matter which ones although the Tally verdelho is extremely highly regarded. Windy Creek is great as well all of these guys have won awards and all that stuff and are quite personable and approachable one thing they share is a passion for the region and the wines. I don't have allegiances to any of them just drink the stuff. Noticed a few comments about the processes in wine making from one of you guys can understand that some of the stuff used can react with some people have a look at Leda Swan Winery know the owners they are passionate about organic wine making and a lot of the stuff they make is free of most of the "nasties". He goes so far as to measure the air quality around his vines, engineer by trade. Anyway hope you get to try some of the West's offerings going up to the Valley on Thursday to do the rounds and stock up :D

artme
1st April 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks kbad. Am partial to wines from the west and have hade some beauties over the years.
Good tip on those Italian style wines. Time spent meandering through Tuscany and the Chianti Valley gave me a better appreciation of these styles.:2tsup::2tsup:

Bluegum
2nd April 2009, 08:32 PM
We've bought few cases of clean skins from Dan murphy's over the last year or so. Although cheap at $2 a bottle its good value and some of them actually aren't to bad.:2tsup:

kbad
2nd April 2009, 09:13 PM
Had a mate who was working as the marketing manager for a winery he always said "it is the taste that makes a good wine not the price". Just found out Leda Swan has changed there name to Harris Wines, in case anyone is trying to look them up some of the guys up there offer free shipping so long as your address is in Aus. Pinelli do for sure just come back from his place, if you want any recommendations post the type of wine you are looking for and i will try and find some that match and where you can get it from might be slow getting back to you as priorities come first like fishing trip, and wine tasting.:U

jerryc
7th April 2009, 04:50 PM
Makes me so sad to read about good wines . I am a social drinker, that is a moderate amount of a first class wine at a dinner party
At the moment I am suffering from Atrial flutter. I had left side heart failure and now the right side has failed. Problem is the pacemaker is not coping and I am not yet back in synous rythmn. So I'm loaded with drugs. Result I'm banned from drinking any alcohol. Try remaining sane when, as happened at a dinner party at my home, a bottle of Pommery champagne was opened. I begged and got half an inch in a flute glass. Worse was to come. We like good wines and a St Hubert appeared. Again I managed only enough to wet my lips and to tell what a beauty I was missing. It's enough to drive a man to drink.

Jerry

jerryc
10th April 2009, 12:58 PM
Put it down to low blood pressure not getting enough blood to the brain. St Hubert? Dunno where he came from, it was St Henri of course

Jerry

artme
26th April 2009, 08:58 PM
When in Venice SWMBO and I stumbled on a shop selling Italian wines for two Euros a litre. Take your own water bottle and have it filled!!

Good quaffing quality, and it helped with the other expenses in Venice.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
13th April 2010, 01:51 PM
I've been buying a few cases of Kemeny's Hidden Label wines lately. No duds; all good value but the Chardonnay/Pinot champers at $8 a bottle in a dozen lot is an absolute bargain.

The missus and I have pretty diff tastes but we share a liking for fizz. I poured her a glass of this and asked what she'd be prepared to pay for a bottle. Mid 20s she reckoned.

chippy 71
13th April 2010, 03:56 PM
I've been buying a few cases of Kemeny's Hidden Label wines lately. No duds; all good value but the Chardonnay/Pinot champers at $8 a bottle in a dozen lot is an absolute bargain.

The missus and I have pretty diff tastes but we share a liking for fizz. I poured her a glass of this and asked what she'd be prepared to pay for a bottle. Mid 20s she reckoned.

Who did you buy them from Ern?

Colin.

rsser
13th April 2010, 05:25 PM
Er, Kemeny's ?

Kemeny's (http://www.kemenys.com.au/pages/khl_main.html)

artme
13th April 2010, 07:06 PM
Brought back some nice reds from Chile. They are now no more and it's a monster fare to pay for just a few bottles.:oo:

Tried a bit of the Sav. Blanc coming out of NZ lately. It's reasonable but I've had better. Still enjoy reds more anyway.

wheelinround
13th April 2010, 07:20 PM
Brought back some nice reds from Chile. They are now no more and it's a monster fare to pay for just a few bottles.:oo:

Tried a bit of the Sav. Blanc coming out of NZ lately. It's reasonable but I've had better. Still enjoy reds more anyway.

Something else you'll have to give up Arthur not good for your condition:no::roll:

chippy 71
13th April 2010, 07:46 PM
Er, Kemeny's ?

Sorry Ern, as they are a Sydney company (I believe) I didn't know they had a bottle shop in Melbourne. Thought you may have bought them from Dan Murphy's or somewhere like that, leastways that was what I was hoping so I could buy some up here in Brisbane.

Thanks,
Colin.

chippy 71
13th April 2010, 07:55 PM
Er, Kemeny's ?

Thanks for the link Ern, didn't realise it was there till after I had replied.

Colin.

artme
14th April 2010, 08:40 PM
Something else you'll have to give up Arthur not good for your condition:no::roll:

Reds are good for the circulation and the heart. The neurologist tells me I"m better off to look after my heart than worry about my feet too much. I'll drink to that.:D:D:cheers2::drink2:

Foo
24th April 2010, 11:21 AM
Here is a couple of nice whites.
Bird in Hand Sparkling Pinot Noir ( Adelaide Hills )
The Paddock Brut Cuvee
Crystal Brooke 2009 from McLaren Vale

Port
Moonshine Madness from Heritage Estate Stanthorpe
Samuals Tawny
Hanwood Twany
The King by Peter Lehmann 1997 vintage ($120 ) have not tried it yet.

rsser
24th April 2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I've drunk some of the King 1996 vintage from Dan Murphy. V. good value for around $20.

That said, the best port value out there is the Reynella Vintage if you buy a case and stick it under the house for 10-12 years. When these mature they have outstanding licorice and chocolate flavours. You occasionally come across aged stock in serious bottle shops and auctions; don't touch the '79 if you do. Lightweight; completely atypical of the line due to a change in ownership.

Foo
24th April 2010, 02:51 PM
The longest, that I have saved a port for was 28yrs, and that was a liqueur port the Love Day vineyard SA. It was 1976 vintage and I just caught it before it went off.:U

rsser
24th April 2010, 03:09 PM
Good catch Foo ;-}

I once had a bottle of the '49 Para, which is a single year Tawny. Oh Lordy, I can still taste it.

Value for money off the shelf though, I'm a fan of Portuguese late-bottled vintages.

K_S
24th April 2010, 06:38 PM
Wine does NOT make you fat,

it makes you LEAN...

....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

rsser
24th April 2010, 06:47 PM
:roflmao:

Foo
24th April 2010, 08:33 PM
Stop it my sides hurt.:drunk22:

artme
26th April 2010, 07:05 PM
:rofl:.

My experience for certain!!:B

artme
26th April 2010, 07:09 PM
Don't mind the Hanwood myself. If I still lived down there I would be even more loyal!!

Grandfather Port is another OK drop.

SWMBO is a Chardonay sipper. At present we we are drinking Yalumba unwooded Chardonay. Reasonable drop. Not as florid as some.

rsser
26th April 2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah; florid's not good on the nose