PDA

View Full Version : What wood is this?

bellyup
6th March 2009, 02:58 PM
Hello guys,
I found this table when i was ferreting around at the green-waste/tip for timber to feed the lathe.
Could you tell me:
What the timbers are? see pics - the timber for the rails is very one dimensional, I have put some water on to try to bring it to life.
What would the original top have been made from? and what would be a suitable timber to replace the top ?:?
Many thanks,
Bruce.

artme
6th March 2009, 05:11 PM
To me that looks like an old Hoop Pine teacher's desk.
I have one myself, mostly because I'm an old teacher.:D:D:D
Spent time teaching at Bourke Ward in Broken Hill.

bellyup
6th March 2009, 05:59 PM
G'day Artme,
You'll be pleased to know that Burt Ward school is still a beautiful looking old school (though I doubt the kids think so), in fact it even has "snob appeal" with parents outside the precinct trying to get their kids in there using dodgy addresses!!
So tell me , what is your desk top made of?
Thanks,
Bruce.

bellyup
6th March 2009, 06:02 PM
Opps, that should be Bourke Ward school - everyone knows that Burt Ward was Robin in the Batman tv series.:B

astrid
6th March 2009, 07:45 PM
mountain ash

bellyup
6th March 2009, 09:27 PM
Mountain ash a.k.a. Tassie oak? really?
Do you think that the original top was Tasmanian Oak?

astrid
7th March 2009, 12:43 AM
dunno about tassie oak yes aka tasmanian mountain ash.
prolly local ash would be fine, try to get some old timber with a few old dings in it, will look better than new ash.

artme
7th March 2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Bruce, my top was, and is Hoop Pine. I stripped all the old varnish off the whole table and then rubbed Danish oil into it. Left all the blue and red ink stains deep scratches and sewing tracing wheel marks exactlt where they were - helps to remember the history.

I suggest you get some wide boards of Hoop for the top to keep character
with the the original.

bellyup
7th March 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Artme and Astrid.
One last question/s - how much larger is the table top than the frame and how was the edge finished.
Thanks guys,
Bruce.

astrid
7th March 2009, 09:55 AM
overhang varies, usually more at the end side
should be in proportion to the base.
think sides usually a simple ogee? small curve with small lip.
trot off to a low end antique shop and have a look, this style is pretty common.

artme
7th March 2009, 02:03 PM
Bruce, overhang on mine is 40mm on the sides and 35mm front and back.Corners of top are rounded and edges finished with simple ogee.

Back when these were made most tops, like mine came from a single board.

bellyup
7th March 2009, 02:59 PM
Righto, I'm organised.
Many thanks.
Bruce.:U