PDA

View Full Version : what can i do with this?

astrid
7th March 2009, 01:10 PM
Ok, mines not exactly the same but close enough, mines got more fancy carvedtimber and plaster mouldings
http://www.cyclerecycler.com/Organ%20Page.htm

It's too nice to throw in the tip, but usless as any furniture item, cant think of anyway of converting it.
Was thinking I could make a nice music cabinate or something and use the stop knobs and other bits and pieces like fretwork and mouldings in an inventive way.
This has some sentimantal value so I figure its betterer to give it a new life than just junk it.

The bellows are shot and it has no resale value

any ideas?
http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/styles/silverblue/misc/progress.gif

toolbagsPLUS
7th March 2009, 07:08 PM
I was asked several years ago to convert an old bellow Organ into a Cocktail Bar. Just takes some nutting out and they can be very effective.
Great piece to factor in some hidden panels and hiding places.

Good Luck

Cheers

Steve

astrid
7th March 2009, 10:23 PM
that might be ok, troule is they take up a lot of space for little storage value.

might put an electronic keyboard in, strip the dark polish off and get rid of the churchy feel, If I can lighten it up a bit It might look OK

Woodwould
7th March 2009, 11:20 PM
How about making it into a desk with pigeon holes and a pull-out leather-lined writing surface?

astrid
8th March 2009, 08:29 AM
Thats a possibility.
Like a davanport,:)

Woodwould
8th March 2009, 08:55 AM
Like a huge extra wide Davenport! :U If you installed drawers down the RH side of the piece and dummy drawers on the LH side, then you truly would have something like a Davenport.

astrid
8th March 2009, 03:33 PM
thats beyond my skills, I could't make a draw if the dovetails cut themselves.
Besides, it you try to make one antique into another antique it almost always looks like crap:)

I prefere to modify things into something thats not trying to be something else.
and only if, as in this case its of no use or value in its original form.

endgrain
8th March 2009, 05:33 PM
Hello Astrid,
Please take it from someone in the trade that these harmoniums are absolutely wonderful.
Have you heard a fully restored one in action?
Don't butcher it. (like strip, sand and refinish)
Don't even think about converting it.
It is a wonderful "conversation" peice going or not.
If you don't give a hoot about musical instrument history then please find someone who does.
No offense meant here but there are people who will pay reasonable money for them and are willing to restore them. Just gotta find 'em.
PM us if you need more info.
cheers

astrid
8th March 2009, 05:58 PM
You may think so but the auction house (young's, or the other big two) would'nt touch it.( sold a beatiful legonda piano for $200
The local OP shop had one for $100 and couldnt get rid of it.
Believe me I've tried:)
trouble is they often belanged to a generation who are all popping off this mortal coil at the same time.

Try to get a decent price for any victorian glass, china, etc at the Mo. the markets flooded and antiques are not in vogue:no:.

better to make it over that tip it

endgrain
8th March 2009, 06:21 PM
auction houses couldn't give a hoot unless they can make a killing from the vendor AND the buyer (we know/ have known quite a few of them)
local op shops generally sell overpriced rubbish these days e.g pianos that can't be tuned. (don't get me started)
sometimes you'll have some luck with dealers taking goods on consignment, all depends what you're asking price is (realistic is the keyword here)
saw one down in toorak before xmas, asking price $700 (with bevel mirrored mantle all in blackwood)
was another up here in paddo the other week, pretty poor con. silky oak, non goer $300
- ebay fetches between $ 0 and the ridiculous, depending what it is. maybe list with reasonable reserve if you need the dollars.
- try corporate sites WITH genuine pictures and a full appraisal by a technician (pianola restorers are usually the full quid)
- well heeled coffee shops in prahan and middle brighton
- a well worded article in the local paper sometimes works
etc etc
cheers

astrid
8th March 2009, 08:44 PM
Nah, as i said, this ones a non goer, cant be bothered with Ebay.
I'v seen 3 around between $100-$150, for this sort of money I'd rather keep it as something usefull with a vague sentement.
Dont get me wrong, I'm usually the first to jump up and down re saving old stuff, but not this time, I know the market well enough to know when somethings a dead loss.

Oddjob1
8th March 2009, 09:07 PM
Hi I'm new at this posting thing but I think I can help with this one, as your piece has some sentimental attachment I'm guessing you might like to have it around in perhaps a more functional way, with respect as it were! I have made a couple of these into roll top desks and given laptop computers don't take up much space these days, you will have a perfect home for all your woodwork forum activities hey! And you can lock it! Rollers are easy to make, a bit of glue, a bit of canvas and watch out for you fingers!

endgrain
8th March 2009, 09:52 PM
great to see someone knows "the market" well enough to destroy a piece of US / Aus. antiquity. (even a low res. photo would be helpful if not useful at this stage)
having been in music industry for over 35 years we are somewhat pained but leave you this image:
"beauty is all in the eye of the beholder"
to quote my antiquarian greatgrandmother.
good luck with it all

Oddjob1
8th March 2009, 10:28 PM
Hey end grain, you had better check for internal cracks, my mum and her Mum were piano teachers, my problem is I am dyslexic and left handed, but I still managed to play by ear very well on piano at the age of 6. When someone wants to move on they want to do the best with what they have, or burn it.

astrid
9th March 2009, 08:30 AM
great to see someone knows "the market" well enough to destroy a piece of US / Aus. antiquity. (even a low res. photo would be helpful if not useful at this stage)
having been in music industry for over 35 years we are somewhat pained but leave you this image:
"beauty is all in the eye of the beholder"
to quote my antiquarian greatgrandmother.
good luck with it all

I got over the "everything old is beautifull" thing some time ago.
The organ I have looks like it belongs in a church, it's dark and gloomy takes up more space than i have room for and nobody wants it.
So for $400 this piece of US/Australian antiquity is yours:D

On the otherhand, It is quite possible to make it an attractive piece by stripping that ugly dark polish off and making some minor adustments to give it a new life.
If you keep the main body intact and store the keyboard in the back, an enthusiast can aways put it back together again.

QC Inspector
9th March 2009, 03:33 PM
http://forums.taunton.com/fw-knots/messages?msg=43298.1

There was a thread in the Knots forum where a guy did a real nice conversion of a piano into a tool chest. If you have to butcher the thing then looking at it every time you are in your shed might be a fitting end for it.

astrid
9th March 2009, 05:50 PM
Whatever