PDA

View Full Version : Better than "One of Those Days"

wheelinround
7th March 2009, 06:32 PM
Today was a great day not only did I get to grind a weld off a new tool post made last Wednesday at OTGA (Ok so the grinder switch died) :doh: one new switch required or new cheap grinder.

This afternoon I got to the lathe and tried the new small tool post out :U on a nice piece of Rosewood.

No photo's of either yet hey will come when job is completed.

If over the next few days is as nice as today it'll be great :2tsup:

Pat
7th March 2009, 06:34 PM
Lucky bugger, all I got to do was fix my dust control after two puppies remodeled it! Worked most of the day, the money's good but I'd rather be in the shed:(

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2009, 08:14 PM
Turning, turning - is that what the lathe's for :doh:
Gawd, mine's just gathering dust and going rusty :~
doing a couple of SWMBO's hint jobs. ie do these I might get turned on :U:D
who am I to argue :p

artme
7th March 2009, 08:20 PM
Onya Wheelin' Must have felt bloody terrific!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

orificiam
7th March 2009, 08:42 PM
Great Wheelin. I spent the day workin in the garage building a new desk for the computer,out of spoted gum boy this timber is HARD and Heavy.:oo::o
Cheers Tony.:):)

wheelinround
11th March 2009, 11:48 AM
Ok sorry its taken so long here are photo's of the tool post and the start of a Rosewood bowl.

I didn't do the welding

orificiam
11th March 2009, 09:24 PM
I would not own up to that welding:no::oo: HeHe
Cheers Tony.:)

Ed Reiss
12th March 2009, 12:28 PM
I would not own up to that welding:no::oo: HeHe
Cheers Tony.:)

now, now Tony...don't deride the man's welds, he couldn't help himself:q

wheelinround
12th March 2009, 12:34 PM
now, now Tony...don't deride the man's welds, he couldn't help himself:q

Yes this is true the poor fellow who did do it had a terrible time keeping it square & in the vice, being a trade trained welder fitter turner.

As for me I sat blissfully watching him struggle from outside the shed as the wheelchair can not get into it.:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2009, 01:25 PM
So long as it doesn't break the first t 9or second... or third... or...) time a chisel catches and slams into it, who really cares how it looks? At least he's turning, which is more than some of us can say. :p

And yes... it's much, much better than "one of those days." :D

BTW, you do realise 'twas a bad move telling us that that big lump of wood is gonna be a bowl? Now there's no excuses if you happen to present a Rosewood Eggcup...

orificiam
12th March 2009, 05:25 PM
:-:-:- Ed I was joking --like Skew says as long as it does the job and it doe not
break who cares.The weld is strong enough just a bit messy nothing a angle grinder can't fix.
Cheers Tony.:B:B

Grumpy John
12th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Wheelin, is that a standard Jet banjo? I like the way it is offset, you can get a lot more adjustment on the tool rest with that one than my "over the clamp bar" banjo.

RETIRED
12th March 2009, 06:34 PM
Wheelin, is that a standard Jet banjo? I like the way it is offset, you can get a lot more adjustment on the tool rest with that one than my "over the clamp bar" banjo.IMHO that is the correct shape for a tool rest.

wheelinround
12th March 2009, 09:05 PM
Wheelin, is that a standard Jet banjo? I like the way it is offset, you can get a lot more adjustment on the tool rest with that one than my "over the clamp bar" banjo.

Yes John the rest is 1in bar while the post is normal size
I have to cut of about 1in off the bottom of the post yet to allow better banjo movement. The post was ground back at an angle and then welded so it sat forward the shape of the Jet Banjo is ARPIA as it often with the standard rest hits what your trying to turn.

wheelinround
12th March 2009, 09:06 PM
IMHO that is the correct shape for a tool rest.

:? which shape

Sawdust Maker
12th March 2009, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't complain about those welds - they're better then mine :C

Wheelin'
how come your avatar says we're the same age when you look years younger? Did you put the wrong date in?

wheelinround
12th March 2009, 09:27 PM
Wheelin'
how come your avatar says we're the same age when you look years younger? Did you put the wrong date in?

Nope not wrong date :U its a family trait on the male side

Sawdust Maker
12th March 2009, 09:36 PM
gees
if you've any sisters they'll be a bit peeved :cool:

wheelinround
12th March 2009, 09:52 PM
gees
if you've any sisters they'll be a bit peeved :cool:

I have 1 sister and yes but who cares:D

RETIRED
12th March 2009, 10:08 PM
This shape.

The angle is about 30 degrees which allows good access and closeness to the work without the post getting in the way.

The top is nicely rounded so that the tool has no abrupt changes in angle as the work gets smaller when doing coves and beads.

It has a flat surface which can support your hand or finger as a guide when doing smoothing cuts without obstructions or sharp edges.

As I said: IMHO the best shape for a rest.

Sawdust Maker
12th March 2009, 10:14 PM
Small piccy :doh:

wheelinround
12th March 2009, 10:17 PM
This shape.

The angle is about 30 degrees which allows good access and closeness to the work without the post getting in the way.

The top is nicely rounded so that the tool has no abrupt changes in angle as the work gets smaller when doing coves and beads.

It has a flat surface which can support your hand or finger as a guide when doing smoothing cuts without obstructions or sharp edges.

I would agree having used one on another type of lathe but the Jet MINI has that boxed type banjo and as the photo shows it protrudes forward of the rest when doing any size bowl its ARPIA as you have to allow more room.:doh::roll:

I liked one I saw made by a forumite (from Perth does the slabbing :rolleyes:) its tops he had set it forward also giving that clearance for a closer working and allowing swing with out hitting it
but it was what I had at hand and free material.

The 300mm one is also slightly forward but not as much.

RETIRED
12th March 2009, 10:23 PM
Small piccy :doh:Yeah I know.

Ed Reiss
12th March 2009, 11:53 PM
:-:-:- Ed I was joking --like Skew says as long as it does the job and it doe not
break who cares.The weld is strong enough just a bit messy nothing a angle grinder can't fix.
Cheers Tony.:B:B

I know you were Tony, my response was just "tongue-in-cheek" :U

Grumpy John
13th March 2009, 11:26 AM
This shape.

It's a home made job, S/S and TIG weld. Thanks for the compliment , I know you don't give those out lightly.
I'll have to see about getting an offset banjo.

Small piccy :doh:

Some better pics for you SM