PDA

View Full Version : ML-392 Performance?

Mike T
29th May 2004, 11:46 AM
There is quite a few posts/reviews on the PT-260 but has anyone got one or aware of any reviews on the ML-392? Apart from the listed machine specifications what would be the "actual" differences in performance and which is the better machine? Carbatec are suggesting that the ML-392 is the better but the only reason was mainly the time to change between modes. The fences on both machines are pretty suspect and addmitted by Carbatec.

ClintO
29th May 2004, 12:28 PM
I dont have one of these but I was speaking to a guy at Carbatec about the T260. He said a lot of the problems where the machine would not work, were caused by the user not being aware of the 2 or 3 microswitches that must engage when changing modes. If you dont pay attention to these then the machine just sits there and looks at you quietly.
This may be a cause of poor instructions

Clint

AlexS
29th May 2004, 07:36 PM
I haven't tried the T260, but I've had the ML-392 for about a year now and have no regrets. I bought floor stock, so didn't have to do any assembly. It has plenty of grunt - I've put through 200mm hardwood with no effort and good results. The tables were properly set up and co-planar, and the blades were correctly set. As everyone has mentioned, the fence is a bit flimsy, although it stayed square while I jointed some largish myrtle. As somewhne else said, the fence locking handles are flimsy, and I'll probably replace the fence assembly with a shop-made unit if something goes wrong, but it hasn't yet.

My take on the ML-392: good value for money if you want a combi machine for space reasons.