PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Earmuffs of DEATH!!

BoomerangInfo
8th March 2009, 05:39 PM
Well folks, I had a bit of a scare yesterday afternoon.

My earmuffs normally sit on a nail on the side of my workbench, and I use them when using power tools. They also get a workout when mowing or whipper snipping the yard.

Well, yesterday afternoon, we decided to redo the vege patch so I had to so whipper snip a lot of long grass (we're on 8 acres - it's a big vege patch). So I merrily went about for half an hour or so, whacking bits of grass, and having them throw back and whack me. I even heard something large hit my left earmuff while I was working - the joys of dangerous machinery.

Anyway, after I'd finished, I was wandering back to the shed to put the gear away, and was carrying the earmuffs by them, as it was rather hot & sweaty, and I just happened to glance down at them, and what did I see, but a huge Redback spider nestled very nicely inside one of the earmuff cups .:omg:

I've seen quite a few in my time, and this was, while not the largest, much bigger than the standard sized redback, with a very bright red spot. How the heck I had my ear shoved up inside that thing all the time, and didn't get bitten, I have no idea. When I gouged her out with a stick, her web inside was actually quite thick, so I'd say she'd been there for a while. Makes me wonder if I'd even been using them inside the shed with her inside already.

I spent the next hour or so doing a self-assessment to see if I was suffering any bite symptoms, but so far nothing, so I guess I was lucky this time. And to think, all this time I've been worried about snakes in the shed, and this little lady was only cm away from my brain!! I'm not sure what the outcome would have been if she did bite, that close to vital organs, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pleasant.

So, please, all of you, CHECK YOUR EARMUFFS! You never know what's hiding inside.

Russell.

KevM
8th March 2009, 06:52 PM
Well folks, I had a bit of a scare yesterday afternoon.

My earmuffs normally sit on a nail on the side of my workbench, and I use them when using power tools. They also get a workout when mowing or whipper snipping the yard.

Well, yesterday afternoon, we decided to redo the vege patch so I had to so whipper snip a lot of long grass (we're on 8 acres - it's a big vege patch). So I merrily went about for half an hour or so, whacking bits of grass, and having them throw back and whack me. I even heard something large hit my left earmuff while I was working - the joys of dangerous machinery.

Anyway, after I'd finished, I was wandering back to the shed to put the gear away, and was carrying the earmuffs by them, as it was rather hot & sweaty, and I just happened to glance down at them, and what did I see, but a huge Redback spider nestled very nicely inside one of the earmuff cups .:omg:

I've seen quite a few in my time, and this was, while not the largest, much bigger than the standard sized redback, with a very bright red spot. How the heck I had my ear shoved up inside that thing all the time, and didn't get bitten, I have no idea. When I gouged her out with a stick, her web inside was actually quite thick, so I'd say she'd been there for a while. Makes me wonder if I'd even been using them inside the shed with her inside already.

I spent the next hour or so doing a self-assessment to see if I was suffering any bite symptoms, but so far nothing, so I guess I was lucky this time. And to think, all this time I've been worried about snakes in the shed, and this little lady was only cm away from my brain!! I'm not sure what the outcome would have been if she did bite, that close to vital organs, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pleasant.

So, please, all of you, CHECK YOUR EARMUFFS! You never know what's hiding inside.

Russell.

Scarey stuff, but :worthless:.

No pictures, it didn't happen!

BoomerangInfo
8th March 2009, 06:59 PM
Scarey stuff, but :worthless:.

No pictures, it didn't happen!

Well I could show you a black smear on the ground, don't think it'd prove much though. Never even thought I should snapshot it :club:

Russell.

Wongdai
8th March 2009, 07:28 PM
:eek: I'm gonna have nightmares now!

DJ’s Timber
8th March 2009, 07:30 PM
This reminds me of the dead mouse in the earmuffs episode :U

Now who was it that happened to again :shrug:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2009, 07:46 PM
That was ol' Stink-ear, wasn't it? :D

jackliveshere
8th March 2009, 07:48 PM
I hear you Russell! Damn I've never found a redback in my ear muffs, but I've found some cob webs before and I thoroughly check my muffs before using them!! I'm really not that found of spiders :no: You're one lucky boy not to snag a bite from that redback! haha

Cheers,

WILL

China
8th March 2009, 08:41 PM
some years ago I pcked up my ear muffs and a good sized huntsman quiukly ran out, that was enough for me now I always check first, the idea of findind the redback after having been wearing them makes me shudder

Oddjob1
8th March 2009, 08:49 PM
Isn't it lucky for us that Redbacks aren't as aggressive as Mozzies hey! I always look out for the very tough webs of the Redback! Every time I put on my muffs or my boots, my eyes are there first. I had occasion to build a table out of Cypress pine slabs for a customer recently that they had in their shed for 18 years, we moved them onto my truck, I then moved them onto my docking bench, trimmed the first end, brought the slab along to the required 2100mm and felt a web, looked over to see a large female Redback defending her eggs not 5mm from my fingers! You have to be calm in these situations because micro surgery to re-attach an arm cut off by your docking saw is more expensive than a dose of anti venom, watch out for those webs!

weisyboy
8th March 2009, 08:58 PM
e dont get amny redbacks round here luckily or id surely have been bit by now. only ever seen one.

we get lots of green frogs thow and it ya dont look first ya get a nasty shock when you put ya boots on.

also i once had a huntsman in my overalls one day didnt notice till i was on my back under the dozer. i got out pretty quick but there was a big lump on my head that night.

always check........to bad i dont practice what i preach.:U

Batpig
8th March 2009, 10:00 PM
Bluddy McBluddy!...:oo:

Oi, Oi, Oi...:no: Better go buy yourself a Scratchie now!

Best Wishes,
Batpig.

ficfac
8th March 2009, 11:34 PM
woah:oo: it's bad enough in ya boots...

BoomerangInfo
9th March 2009, 07:26 AM
Bluddy McBluddy!...:oo:

Oi, Oi, Oi...:no: Better go buy yourself a Scratchie now!

Best Wishes,
Batpig.

Yes I think I should. I do consider myself very lucky. I always jump up & down on my gardening gloves before putting them on in case of hidden nasties, just need to expand the routine I guess. And I better have a stern talk to the chickens as well. If they're gonna spend the night accidentally locked in teh shed and poop all over the place, they could at least eat the redbacks while they are there...

Russell.

Malcolm Eaton
9th March 2009, 09:02 AM
The next time you scratch or pock your ear with your little finger I would watch out, that she spider may have layed eggs in a nice warm place. I hope you do not start hearing strange noices from that ear.
Mac