PDA

View Full Version : Mystery tool teaser

mike48
8th March 2009, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I have thoroughly enjoyed posts on this site about mystery tools, so I thought that I would add one of my own for all to ponder and enjoy.
I bought this from a second hand dealer in Brisbane for $1, last year.

It is stamped as being made by Ahrem's Goodline Germany.

I know what this is, as I have another item of the same type from another manufacturer.

That bronze bit on the end of the handle is important, as is the length of the handles.
It has not been cut; the difference in leg length is original and normal .
This tool is in very good working order, and can be used in a modern situation.
I suspect that it hasnt been made for 50 years or so,

Enough clues.

Good luck to all, but as I think that there are one hell of a lot of very knowledgeable people watching this forum, that it shouldnt take too long to identify.

Mike

mic-d
8th March 2009, 06:15 PM
It looks like a swageing tool

Cheers
Michael

Ashore
8th March 2009, 06:22 PM
I'de go along with that , a cutter at the back and a swageing at the front
:2tsup:

AUSSIE
8th March 2009, 06:33 PM
A battery Lead Cutter And Terminal Crimper (installer) for cars/trucks
Down the back cuts the lead.Up the front is the crimper.
Only basically does the one size.Otherwise it would have 2 or 3 sizes of crimper on it.:2tsup:
I suspect the Bronze bit you mentioned is to measure the amount of insulation to cut of.Not needed arter the first cut.

mike48
8th March 2009, 06:58 PM
No one is correct as yet - please keep trying!

Mike

warrick
8th March 2009, 07:08 PM
Did it have something to do with an old wood stove ???

Warrick

blackhole
8th March 2009, 07:35 PM
Rivet holder.

ian
8th March 2009, 10:26 PM
Looks like a detonator crimper

One of the "jaws" is for cutting the safety fuse, the other for crimping the fuse into the detonator.

added: oh, and one leg is designed for poking a hole in the stick of "gelly" so you can insert the detonator

ian

Claw Hama
8th March 2009, 10:35 PM
Looks like an old version of an electrical wire cutters and crimp lug pliers, bit hard to tell from the pick or a lead bullet (projectile) trimer and crimper.

warrick
8th March 2009, 10:43 PM
Looks like a detonator crimper

One of the "jaws" is for cutting the safety fuse, the other for crimping the fuse into the detonator.

ian

I recon Ians right as I found the following drawing for a Double-crimper for blasting caps
here http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6748617.html

Warrick

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6748617-0-display.jpg

HazzaB
9th March 2009, 12:32 AM
Hey there,

I believe Ian and Warrick are right, they look like my pop's old Powder Monkey pliers, the bronze bit stops any accidents while making the hole for the Det.:oo:

HazzaB

mike48
9th March 2009, 11:26 AM
Ian was the first with a correct answer – it is a pair of Detonator Pliers.
(Called Blasting Cap Pliers in USA).
Well done! So quick! I thought it may take a bit longer.

It is meant to cut Safety Fuse cleanly with a scissor action to get a 90 degree face on the fuse end, and to crimp the aluminium (or copper in the very old days) detonator tubular casing onto the fuse cord.

The pliers also allow the user to easily make the correct size hole in a stick of gelignite type explosive, so that the fused detonator can be placed in the explosive.
Gelignite looks and feels like a cross between home-made white coconut ice and sugar slightly moistened with a small amount of light machine oil, then compressed and wrapped in greaseproof type tough paper.

Most small stick nitroglycerine based explosives in the old days were roll paper wrapped, and the Ahrems plier handle has a hollowed out bronze end to act as a combined hollow drill and reamer to make a neat hole in the stick.

Attached is another similar tool, an ICI Det Plier, which I purchased new in Brisbane in 1972 from Banks Hardware in South Brisbane.
This tool just has a tapered handle end to poke the det hole into a stick, but it worked well, making a “nice slice” fuse cut, and with a very well formed 360 degree crimp.
It looks “basic” but works.

In those days, I only had to have a Miner’s Right to purchase explosives and tools. Banks Hardware used to even store explosives in a mini magazine out the back of the store, almost in the middle of Brisbane!
They didn’t even bat an eyelid when a very young looking guy in jeans and T-shirt (me) asked for half a dozen sticks of ICI AN60, 30 dets, and a 50 foot roll of two feet a minute fuse.
A quarter stick of AN60 used to crack a two foot diameter rock quite nicely if the explosive was well placed. Very useful for clearing rocks for prospecting

Congratulations again to Ian, and to Warwick.

I might post a few other “mystery tools”, some even related to woodworking, as long as I don’t bore anyone.

Mike

Slow6
9th March 2009, 12:44 PM
as long as I don’t bore anyone.

keep em coming:2tsup:

malb
15th March 2009, 10:06 AM
Shucks, thought it was some sort of immasculator.

Malcolm Eaton
18th March 2009, 11:21 PM
I do not know about them being detonator crimpers but it looks awfully like the pliers my dentist uses to pull out teeth . :D
Mac