PDA

View Full Version : todays turnings - first segment, first burl

ElizaLeahy
8th March 2009, 06:13 PM
5 pens, 5 keyrings a pendent and a hairstick that use to be a drumstick! (with thanks to Ronin for passing on his old drumsticks to me!) The drumstick is rock maple.

In the keyrings you might see my very first segmenting and my first burl. Or you might not, because the photos suck :)

The segmenting is a joke, I know it! It's just bits of penblanks I had left over from cutting up to size.

new_guy90
8th March 2009, 07:12 PM
its all learning and your doing really well :2tsup:

nice work

Patrick

Sawdust Maker
8th March 2009, 08:33 PM
Eliza
Will you cut it out!
nice work :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
8th March 2009, 08:56 PM
I can't cut it out any quicker then I am! Not without a bandsaw!

;)

44Ronin
8th March 2009, 09:10 PM
My favourite is keyring is the second from the top, so lovely!

Look at the feature streak on the pen at the bottom, from the clip to the centreband, that is just beautiful :)

It's nice that the drumstick gets a new lease on life, it's a much more beautiful and dignified existence than getting beaten for 45 minutes each day :D

Well done. :2tsup:

artme
8th March 2009, 09:29 PM
Great work and brave experimenting!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Robomanic
9th March 2009, 12:58 AM
I would never have though of drumsticks, very nice pick up there. I think some are Hickory too, but all should be perfect for hair sticks, very strong.

The great thing about experimenting with the key rings is that you never know what might strike a chord with someone :D

robutacion
9th March 2009, 01:09 AM
I can't cut it out any quicker then I am! Not without a bandsaw!

;)

I Eliza,

What do you exactly use to cut your small timbers with? I know that you don't have a band-saw (yet), do you have a drop-saw (electric or manual)?

I've seen on the last Adelaide wood show, from one of the major business (can't remember which one), on they large display of Japanese type saws, they had one on a simple but very efficient jig to cut things like pen planks lengths or small pieces for segmenting, for what I believe was a reasonable price (about $60 if I recall). These Japanese saws are very sharp and make a very clean and smooth cut. The jig could cut from 0 to 90 degrees, half to left, half to the right (like normal electric drop-saw).

They may not be as fast as the electric ones, but if you are cutting or adjusting the timber surface to straight or a small angle, and you only have a short piece of timber, unless you have a proper timber vise/clamp (some drop-saws come with one), or you make a jig, holding anything under at least 3 inches long, can be extremely dangerous, believe me I know, and many other forumates can confirm its risks and possible lost of fingers, quicker that what you can say, outch! Band-saws and short bits of timber are as dangerous, but again, are ways to get around, and much safer.

You are definitely going to need something, very shortly, just don't underestimate the risks, and/or take short cuts, the price is to hight...!:C

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
9th March 2009, 08:13 AM
I have a very old jig saw, and the blade I was using was over 15 years old... However it broke (how surprising) and I got a new blade, and BOY does it power through the wood!

I made a jig - sort of - for pen halves and keyrings. I'm sure you will be horrified. :)

I nailed a piece of wood to the table (use to be our dinning table) and I drew on the wood where the length was I needed to cut. Then I hold the blank to that and cut it, the extra bit falls to the ground. It's quick, I'll give it that!!!

:D

Rum Pig
9th March 2009, 08:51 AM
Eliza they look great well done :2tsup::2tsup:

I thought you were not going to make pens because you had thousands:no: well now you will be addicted so get ready for another thousand or so:U

On a critical note:C Your segmented piece could with some work on the joints. you need to have near perfect joints. This is the reason I have stayed away from segmented stuff. If your not set up (I'm not) to get the nice and flat joining surface it can make a good job look bad:doh: Having said all that GOOD ON YOU for having a go:2tsup::2tsup: