PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 29 May 04

Ralph Jones
29th May 2004, 09:50 PM
Good Evening Friends,
I am not sure what building codes you are using in the land of OZ but here in the US we use the BOCA Universal Building Codes.

The codes state that a bedroom for one person must be a minimum of 70 square feet. How many additional square feet would be required for a second person?

Respectfully, :)

Bob Willson
29th May 2004, 10:46 PM
Is this like anything like Morse code and stuff? I know about like SOS and stuff like that. Is this the same?

journeyman Mick
29th May 2004, 11:02 PM
In Australia we use the BCA - Building Code of Australia. I just had a quick squiz at my copy (which is a few years old now) and although it gives strict rules for ventilation and lighting openings it only stipulates ceiling height requirements and not floor area requirements. So I guess that as long as you meet the requirements for floor area to ventilation and lighting ratios and you have the neccesary ceiling height you can call it a bedroom (as long as you can actually fit a bed in there). BTW, if you use "Universal" Building Codes that sort of implies that everyone everywhere is using them, did someone forget to mail me a copy? :rolleyes:

Mick

bitingmidge
30th May 2004, 09:15 AM
Ralph,

Last time I was on Mars, they too had rejected the "Universal" Building Code in favour of their own. I suspect that in the case the "Universe" has shrunk to about the size of the USA. :D :D :D

Unless, someone has snuck in a change under my nose, the concept of minimum sizes for bedrooms has long gone here in favour of defining basic minimum habitable standards. For once I'm going to disagree with Mick (a dangerous thought, particularly because I haven't checked first!), but I don't think one needs to be able to actually fit a bed in a room to call it a bedroom!

There are nonetheless regulations outside the Building Code that could lead to prosecution if a premises was deemed overcrowded, or even if used by multiple families under certain circumstances.

When it comes to regulations, we have two thirds of the countries population thinking them up, a quarter enforcing them, and the rest just hang around on this board wondering how to get round 'em.

Hope you are now clear and ready for your next project over here!

P

Ralph Jones
30th May 2004, 10:09 AM
Good morning Friends,
To be honest I don't know where they come up with this universal thing about the codes because they mostly deal with the USA.

The answer as to the codes is as follows; one person requires 70 square feet and for the additional person 50 square feet is used or a room 10' x 12'.

Note this is the minimum allowed.

Thank you for your support.

ozwinner
30th May 2004, 10:23 AM
but I don't think one needs to be able to actually fit a bed in a room to call it a bedroom! P
Next time you go to a display home have a look at the small bedrooms, the beds in them are especially made short so the room looks big.
Someone told me that they get the beds made 300mm shorter.

Al

journeyman Mick
30th May 2004, 07:03 PM
Next time you go to a display home have a look at the small bedrooms, the beds in them are especially made short so the room looks big.
Someone told me that they get the beds made 300mm shorter.

Al
Al,
the "Blithering Idiot" architect that I have referred to in a previous post (you may have read it :D ) drew up an entire boarding house complex for the school with all the furniture and fittings scaled down so that the rooms looked larger :eek: . She did this on purpose to "sell" the design to the school board. Consequently they can't use the kitchen as it doesn't meet the size requirements for a commercial kitchen. When I pointed this out (before building commenced and when changes might still have been made) she A) didn't realise that it would be classed as a commercial kitchen, B) didn't realise there were size and ventilation requirements for a commercial kitchen, and C) didn't believe that I as a mere tradesman needed to be listened to, so D) didn't bother to ring the health department to check. Result: boarding house complex at one end of school, tuckshop at other end of school 500M away :mad: , not all undercover. Sorry, sorry I'll try to stop all this ranting! :o

Mick

bitingmidge
30th May 2004, 09:55 PM
drew up an entire boarding house complex for the school with all the furniture and fittings scaled down so that the rooms looked larger

Hee He he.... I had a client when I was actually practising architecture who was a lovely Bloke from Hong Kong, and I was fitting out an office for him in an impossibly small space. He needed 10 staff (all of Chinese origin) to fit into what would barely fit 2 and he gave me a drawing (self administered) that was along the same lines.

I tried to explain that he was asking for the impossible. His response:

"Don't worry Midge old son, just do it .....We very small people!"

Cheers,

P

RETIRED
30th May 2004, 10:48 PM
Hmmm. Put balustrading in a house that had a 30'x3' long toilet. Cost a bedroom but that didn't matter.

A hospital that hada $10million dollar refit and then they couldn't get the gurneys through the door.

I love architects.

Shane Watson
30th May 2004, 11:10 PM
Heres one

new court house built (no not in Brisi, but in QLD) no female toilets....Obviously a male architect for that one ;)

Ralph Jones
31st May 2004, 01:58 AM
Hey ,
No doubt a well educated architect designed the hospital refurbish.

bitingmidge
31st May 2004, 08:15 AM
Put balustrading in a house that had a 30'x3' long toilet.

So (He said in his most quizzical manner, eyes looking towards the sky) :rolleyes: how long is you toilet?

Anyway if it only cost a bedroom she probably did the job too cheaply in the first place. I like to charge and arm AND a leg! :D :D

P