PDA

View Full Version : The right Glue

tergar37
10th March 2009, 07:20 PM
What would be the best Glue or Contact to fit a piece of say 42mm angle Aluminium into a V Groove on a piece of Timber.

Gary

bsrlee
11th March 2009, 09:55 PM
If you never want it to come out again, then 2 part epoxy ( Araldite and its copies, cheap is often rubbish) is about your only choice. You WILL have to clean the aluminium thoroughly, alcohol & a rough cloth for starters, then possibly a 'Scotchbrite' type abrasive pad (kitchen scrubber, just unused & no built in soap) or some fine wet-and-dry emery to give the ally a bit of 'tooth' for the epoxy to grab onto - you don't want it polished like a mirror on the glue surfaces.

A lot of ally in shops will have a lacquer of some type applied to stop the metal corroding, and ally will corrode very fast, so only clean it immediately before glueing into place.

tergar37
12th March 2009, 09:50 AM
Thank you BSRLEE for your help, my Idea is to be able to place a piece of 42mm square timber in the Alum. to use the sliding saw and bevel one of the edges to take a brace across it as for a table leg, or as in this case a leg for a toy box.

Gary

AUSSIE
12th March 2009, 10:02 AM
Thank you BSRLEE for your help, my Idea is to be able to place a piece of 42mm square timber in the Alum. to use the sliding saw and bevel one of the edges to take a brace across it as for a table leg, or as in this case a leg for a toy box.

Gary

Not sure what you are upto,but why can't you screw wood and aluminium together.
Drill holes in aluminium then screw into wood

ToolFanatic
12th March 2009, 12:52 PM
This is a Very Good Question

tergar37
12th March 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Guys, I always tend to go about things ???? about, the screws are the way to go.

Gary

orraloon
12th March 2009, 06:52 PM
Screws will be easier and more efficient than glue. If anything has to run in the ally channel then countersink the holes.