PDA

View Full Version : What Camphor Laurel blank sizes?

BobL
10th March 2009, 09:24 PM
I have a bunch of short (1.5m) long x 450 mm diam logs of camphor laurel that I will be milling shortly. I was thinking of cutting up some up as blanks and offering them to a group of turners - what is a suitable size (or sizes) to cut these up into?

weisyboy
10th March 2009, 09:43 PM
cut slabs in varying sizes from 3" up to 6" they can cut tehm into whatever sizes they want then.:2tsup:

dai sensei
10th March 2009, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't even slab it, just cut it into 2 halves, then cut into blocks as long as it is wide. They can either turn it as one bowl, or cut it down further into multiple blanks.

BobL
11th March 2009, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't even slab it, just cut it into 2 halves, then cut into blocks as long as it is wide. They can either turn it as one bowl, or cut it down further into multiple blanks.

Thanks, I'll do that and also slab a few as well.

Rum Pig
11th March 2009, 08:20 AM
How ever they get it I'm sure they will appreciate your generous gift:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
11th March 2009, 09:56 AM
what is a suitable size (or sizes) to cut these up into?

Bob - my response is to cut the log into the largest sizes possible. The world is full of smaller pieces of wood, why add to them! Six x 450mm diameter bowl blanks sounds about right... :).

If your turner friends are not yet ready for a 450mm diam blank they can put it on the shelf as inspiration until they are ready.

Neil