PDA

View Full Version : Screwing door frames to wall

Goldy
30th May 2004, 10:51 PM
I`m currently making a new dining room entrance door frame out of jarrah. Was wondering if anyone has any hints as to mounting the frame to brick and not leaving any visible screw holes in the frame itself. Also any ideas to mounting the skirting to the wall also with out any visible screw holes etc etc.

Thanks Goldy

journeyman Mick
30th May 2004, 11:10 PM
Goldy,
if you're using a jamb with a planted on stop (as opposed to a rebated jamb) then it's just a matter of working out where the stop will sit and going mad with your fixings in the area thus covered. With skirtings onto brickwork it's a bit harder. I've had success fixing mouldings on steel bulkheads on boats by using plenty of Sikaflex or similar polyurethane sealant/adhesive interspersed with blobs of hot melt glue. You need to work fairly quickly with the hot melt. You cut the skirting to suit, apply the Sika and then the hot melt and push the skirting into place. The hot melt sets almost instantly and holds the skirting until the sika goes off. If you're working with long lengths or it's particularly cold you may need an assistant to preheat the brickwork and the skirting with a hot air gun.

Mick

Goldy
1st June 2004, 12:09 PM
Great idea will glue them instead of nailing them. Might try liquid nails instead, has anyone had any trouble using liquid nails on skirtings to brick, plaster.

Thanks Goldy

journeyman Mick
1st June 2004, 04:16 PM
Goldy,
If you want it to stay stuck to the wall spend the $8-$15 a cartridge for a polurethane sealant/adhesive (bostik "seal and stick", sikaflex or similar products). If you're willing to take a chance and possibly have to refix some of your skirting further down the track then spend $3-$8 on liquid nails or similar. I've had a few problems with these and similar adhesives and I no longer use them where they will be the only form of fixing as a call back does nothing for my reputation or my hip pocket. I will still use these products if there are mechanical fixings as well but in a case like yours where you wish to rely on adhesive only I would spend the extra dollars for the polyurethane.

Mick

Goldy
1st June 2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advise will definaly spend the extra money, totaly agree always pays to go for better quality products. Like they say what you pay for is what you get.

regards Goldy