PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Working with Wood show...

ElizaLeahy
12th March 2009, 11:53 AM
It's probably too early - but are we going to have a get together there?

And - how much money should I take with me? (heehee)

hughie
12th March 2009, 12:14 PM
[

And - how much money should I take with me? (heehee)

:U well as much as you can afford, so you can spend more than should :2tsup:

bowl-basher
12th March 2009, 01:58 PM
[

:U well as much as you can afford, so you can spend more than should :2tsup:
Just like we all do:p:p:p we in Sydney just get longer to think up exchuses for
SWMBO:D:D:D

eisbaer
12th March 2009, 02:58 PM
i've already budgeted. Getting dust extractor, heap of pen kits from addictive and some timber. I'm trying to cut back on the timber buying cause i'm pretty much out of room for it. But i know that'll go out the window as soon as i get there :)

Wayne Blanch
12th March 2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Eliza,
I would be interested in meeting some more of the people from the forum so i would be happy to set a date and time to meet at the show.:2tsup:
With regards to how much money to take to the show, how long is a piece of string???:D
Last year I spent nearly $3000.00 :o:doh:
Had fun though!

Possibly we should arrange a turning weekend like the Mexicans in Melbourne do. We could talk about this at the show maybe.

Jack E
12th March 2009, 03:24 PM
What are the dates?
Their website is still showing the 08 dates.

eisbaer
12th March 2009, 04:26 PM
there's an updated site somewhere. New organisers. I don't have the link but i seem to remember it being in late may. Maleny woodshow is early may so it would make sense. They're normally a couple of weeks apart.

Ironwood
12th March 2009, 04:33 PM
What are the dates?

The ad in the latest Australian Woodworker says 22-24 May.

damian
12th March 2009, 04:57 PM
WWF members usually meet at several times each day in the eating area. As I recall from last year it was something like 11 and 2 on the far end table in the middle row or something. Just look for the WWF logo. Or Cliff if he comes down. For some reason he stands out, maybe because he's so normal looking ? :D

ElizaLeahy
12th March 2009, 05:58 PM
I'll be the one with all the sticks in her hair.

KevM
12th March 2009, 06:04 PM
What are the dates?

Try this one (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=brisbane)!

The shows were sold to another organiser last year.

The Timber & Working with Wood Shows (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135) sub forum has the correct link on top.

new_guy90
12th March 2009, 07:31 PM
Last year I spent nearly $3000.00 :o:doh:

Possibly we should arrange a turning weekend like the Mexicans in Melbourne do. We could talk about this at the show maybe.

thats a lot of money i hope NOT to spend that much money when i go ......i haven't been to the show before so ill be up for a meet. cant wait to see what timber i can get my hands on lol and the tools........:U

Patrick

munruben
13th March 2009, 10:41 AM
Apparently the show dates are 22nd May to 24th May 2009 inclusive.

damian
13th March 2009, 11:04 AM

ROFLOL....funny! :)

I'm still not sure if I can be bothered going this year. The prics of entry and parking pretty much wipes out any saving I make, and I'm not looking for any new equipment or timber right now. Besides you can get show specials at the stores during the show period. Dunno.

And the foods pretty ordinary...

bowl-basher
13th March 2009, 11:41 AM
Buy a fourum shirt and then we all stand out
Bowl-basher

Ed Reiss
13th March 2009, 12:26 PM

...wouldn't it be a hoot if a lot of guys showed up with hair-sticks also!!!:o:o:D

RETIRED
13th March 2009, 12:59 PM
...wouldn't it be a hoot if a lot of guys showed up with hair-sticks also!!!:o:o:Dthrough their noses?:wink::D

new_guy90
13th March 2009, 05:44 PM
through their noses?:wink::D

Nose-Hair-Sticks?

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
13th March 2009, 05:55 PM
Buy a fourum shirt and then we all stand out
Bowl-basher

I'll see - I don't know if they make them large enough!

Ed Reiss
13th March 2009, 11:26 PM
Nose-Hair-Sticks?

Patrick

...yea, for the one's that have a lot of nose hair:rolleyes:

RETIRED
13th March 2009, 11:29 PM
Welllllllll, some of us don't have that much hair.:wink::D

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 01:19 PM
Didn't I tell you the solution to that?

Dektarin. Not sure of the spelling, the stuff for atheletes foot.
I kid you not! The active ingredient is Miconazole Nitrate. Dektarin has the Australian right to it, so it's the only way you can buy it. It's got to be the oddest beauty tip around, but it works. Women with alapeacha (spelling!!!) have found that it causes regrowth, and if your hair isn't falling out but you want to grow your hair faster it doubles the rate. And it can't hurt you, I checked with my doctor first, although she thought it a bit weird.

So if you don't mind being a bit wierd, try it for a month! This is my third month and my hair has grown an inch a month instead of the usual 1/2 inch a month.

You may now make fun of me... (I wonder if anyone here will try this?)

RETIRED
14th March 2009, 02:30 PM
Daktarin.

Mulgabill
14th March 2009, 02:48 PM
Go for it !!:roll: At least you scalp wont get Athletes Foot:no:

RETIRED
14th March 2009, 03:31 PM
But will my feet get hairy?:D

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe that's how they found this out in the first place?

BernieP
14th March 2009, 06:40 PM
G'Day

Wasn't that a tune about baby elephants walking ?

Cheers
Bernie

new_guy90
14th March 2009, 06:54 PM
You may now make fun of me... (I wonder if anyone here will try this?)

what the :yeahright:

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 06:57 PM
G'Day

Wasn't that a tune about baby elephants walking ?

Cheers
Bernie

Is that our theme song for the show? We going to have a conga line?

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 06:59 PM
what ?????:yeahright:

Patrick

I wonder if anyone is going to try the Dektarin Patrick, not I wonder if anyone is going to make fun of me :)

You are welcome to do that any time! ;)

damian
17th March 2009, 11:03 AM
Would you really want your nose hair to grow twice as fast ? :D

I can see the show being a total riot this year...

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 11:15 AM
I don't think I'll be able to go more then once. So we should find a day that suits as many of us as possible and go then. Wandering around looking at things and meeting up for the meals sounds good. Might want to have "lunch" at an odd time, so we get a table!

Last time I went was over 20 years ago - I won the cross cut saw competition!!! I was a tad fitter then.

One thing I learnt - wear a tee shirt when doing cross cut sawing, not a button shirt. I had a wardrobe malfunction when one of my buttons flew off!!!

:oo:

bowl-basher
17th March 2009, 11:15 AM
:omg::omg::omg:

did this thread get hijacked or what !!!!!!!!!!:U

Ed Reiss
17th March 2009, 11:38 AM
...can't even remember what it was suppose to be about:o

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 12:42 PM
meeting up at the Brisbane Working with wood show

damian
17th March 2009, 12:48 PM
Can a thread be hijacked by the person who started it ?

Eliza: you won't get everyone there the same day. Some go first day to get first dibs on timber and specials that are limited supply, some go last day for last minute discounts.

So do you live in or near Brookfield ? otherwise why did you attend the neighbourhood watch meeting ?

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 12:57 PM
OK, so I have to save to go twice... drat it, this is going to be EXPENSIVE!

No, I don't, Brookfield is miles away. And it was raining, and it's a narrow, winding, country road if you don't know it. Zoe (my partner) looked at the mist on the road and said "is that CLOUD? How high are we?" We were practically sea level, but I let her think it was cloud, she got a buzz out of it.

We went because Zoe was giving a talk on how to recognise the symptoms of depression. I didn't know it was the neighbourhood watch. We drove 40 minutes in the rain to talk to 25 people about depression. lol

When the policeman gave his report he was talking about security for homes. Just then a late comer came in and Gem barked. Smooth as anything the policeman said "and a dog is a great deterent".

Zoe got a bottle of wine. I got cake. Gem got cake too.

Carl, you should join. They have cake.

damian
18th March 2009, 10:50 AM
Oh I know it. I've driven and ridden up that road many times. I must know abuot half the people in Upper Brookfield. I live on the other side of mermaid mountain.

Oh well, it was raining but there was cake. Sounds like a balanced evening to me :)

Ed Reiss
18th March 2009, 12:06 PM
meeting up at the Brisbane Working with wood show

...can't go, SWMBO won't let me....and she hid my passport to boot!!!:doh:

eisbaer
19th March 2009, 12:08 AM
man i must be so lucky. Not only am i going, but my wife is eager to go too. Why i hear you ask? To make sure i don't spend a cent? No...

She wants to pick some timber! and buy some for me! :) 5 months pregnant and all! must be making her go crazy :)

i don't know what i did to make her so happy but i'm tiptoeing around till the show i can tell ya! So far i've got the approval to buy dust extractor and she's keen to pick me up some timber. Any minute i'm gonna wake up... :)

Cliff Rogers
19th March 2009, 12:47 AM
WWF members usually meet at several times each day in the eating area. As I recall from last year it was something like 11 and 2 on the far end table in the middle row or something. Just look for the WWF logo. Or Cliff if he comes down. For some reason he stands out, maybe because he's so normal looking ? :D

Don't look for me, I won't be there this year.

Is best if you meet at the coffee stand at about 10:30 & 2:30 &/or the Jim Carrol's or Ubeauts at 11 & 3 or something like.

Mrs Woodpecker
19th March 2009, 11:04 AM
Wearing the Forum T- shirt is a great idea. That is how I met those lovely gentlemen, Artme and Sam last year. I will have to go easy this year - bought my new lathe last year, and with a few other odds and ends, spent around $3000 as well. Trust me, it is very easy to do. Don't we bring some cakes or muffins or something for smoko? I would love to meet some more members. We should have made the move to Gympie by then, so it will be an easy trip. My husband said that we will do two days this time.
Will keep an eye on the forum to see what progress is made for meeting.
Regards,
Shirley

TTIT
19th March 2009, 11:30 AM
............should have made the move to Gympie by then.............Deserter! :o

ElizaLeahy
19th March 2009, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking that by the time the end of may rolls around, I might be looking for a new lathe!!!

:oo:

weisyboy
19th March 2009, 07:28 PM
you only got to the lower brookfield show gorund that road to ther isnt winding or narrow.

ill be there one day only i dont know witch day i dont really care either as i wont be buying anythig expencive. just a lot of cheep stuff that way i dont haev to worrie about how mutch i spent untill i get home and add it up:2tsup:

p.s. if you thaught my road was bad you should see the other side of mermaid mountain. they put a new track up it and we cant hardly get up in the 4wd fire truck. the trail bikes have toruble to:U.

ElizaLeahy
19th March 2009, 07:34 PM
I know lower Brookfield road is a great road, no problems at all. Unless you have never driven down it, it's raining, and there is 3 foot of mist above the road making it invisible. (I even go over Gap Creek Rd, although not in the rain and at night)

Zoe didn't get her drivers licence until she was over 40 (I think she was 45). That was her first time in that particular condition.

I don't mind narrow or winding roads - it's edges that gets me. We went to some caves near Sydney in a bus - the road was narrow, winding, with a cliff face on one side and NOTHING on the other! It was two way, but only as wide as one vehical. If something came the other way, one had to back up to a dug out bit on the cliff side of the road.

I was such a mess by the time we got there, totally terrified because I knew we had to go back again. I have no idea what the caves were called, or anything else about that day. That's why I always ask first. :)

weisyboy
19th March 2009, 07:37 PM
doint go to the malany wood show! the road in you can see 28km to the sea and beyond. altitude is about 1500 feet

wolften
19th March 2009, 07:44 PM
doint go to the malany wood show!

...why not:question:

Glenn

weisyboy
19th March 2009, 07:48 PM
shee dont like clifs.

there is plenty of clifs.

do u like timber more than you hate clifs that is the question.

ElizaLeahy
19th March 2009, 08:01 PM
Is the timber good at Maleny? :)

I use to live at Mooloolah - that's at the bottom of Maleny

weisyboy
19th March 2009, 08:18 PM
yep sure is.

especialy the stuff at my stand:2tsup:

but u batta like red cedar there was about 100 cube of it there last year.:U

ElizaLeahy
19th March 2009, 08:34 PM
I like Huon, that beautiful mango I got from you, blackheart sassy. I got a gift of a chunk of ebony today! A friend in Canada bought it from ebay and had it sent to me! I thought it was a mistake and I was going to have to give it back. I'm so glad that I don't have to.

I just have to work out what to do with it.

weisyboy
19th March 2009, 08:43 PM
ill see if i can find any more of that mango and put it aside.

anyhow back to the thread.

'Brisbane Working with Wood show...'

eisbaer
19th March 2009, 09:49 PM
you gonna have a stand at the bris show weisy boy? If not i'll catch you at maleny if you're there.

weisyboy
19th March 2009, 09:58 PM
na teh WWW show costs to mutch its rediculous. i think for a space 3m x 3m 3 years ago was about $1000.

i will be at teh malaney show thow. just look for the bloke with a lucas and wwf gear on.

eisbaer
19th March 2009, 11:14 PM
that's a lot for a stand. No wonder so many people seem to pull out every year. I'll see you at maleny then. I don't plan on getting much wood at brisbane this year. I know that there's someone possibly selling some african timber there this year so that'll probably be it for me. Maleny is great for local stuff though. Seems cheaper as well.

BoomerangInfo
20th March 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm still not sure if I can be bothered going this year. The prics of entry and parking pretty much wipes out any saving I make..

Yeah I think that's my problem too - plus if I go I'll likely spend more money than I actually have. It's nice to find offcuts of some good timbers though to use for the small work I usually do.

Russell.