PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah and Marble Hall Table

Lumber Bunker
12th March 2009, 01:25 PM
Here you go guys,
This one we started in march, (last year) and lay about in bits for ages!
Finished yesterday.

It is for sale as it was done on spec. It is now in the Lumber Bunker show room untill Mrs Lumber Bunker visits and takes it home!!!

Enjoy.

Steve Thomas

Lumber Bunker
12th March 2009, 01:41 PM
Oh better tell you a little bit about it.

Jarrah - 50x50 legs then ended up about 42x42 ish
Marble top, is about 30mm thick and is way to heavy for this type of table. it's quote top heavy so i'm thinking about taking it off and getting something a little thinner
The draw is very shallow and is just for show, my keys don't fit in it, but my wallet does! (wish it didn't though). The sides are celery to pine and the base is QLD Karri Pine (lovely antique small to Karri)
Dovetails are ofcourse by hand, as they are tiny! not quite chris vesper tiny but still small.
Draw pulls are a spur of the moment thing and i quite like them, i'll be useing them again on other items later on, but they where done on a scroll saw and the rasps and files.

The turnings where done by Jason, our woodturner (as we all know my turning is elementry at best)
Mortice and tenon joinery through out and wedge through tenon is the lower long rails.

Sliding dovetail for the front rails where tricky to fit... But happy.

Cheers

BobR
12th March 2009, 02:32 PM
Looks good Steven. Can see what you mean about the top being a bit thick for the frame.

Rhys Cooper
12th March 2009, 09:50 PM
:2tsup:

44Ronin
12th March 2009, 10:40 PM
Looks fantastic.......... I once had a thick marble slab dining table that went on the top floor of a highset house..............never again!

I would get a thinner top put on, without hesitation.

Harry72
12th March 2009, 11:21 PM
Looks good Steve, agree with the top.

Waldo
13th March 2009, 12:02 AM
Really like the drawer pulls and sliding dovetail on the rails. :2tsup:

jackliveshere
13th March 2009, 04:21 PM
Man that top is serious!! I agree as well, might be a little big for the rest of the table. I love the table though, especially the drawer :2tsup:

Cheers,

WILL

artme
13th March 2009, 07:18 PM
A very nice piece LB!!:2tsup::2tsup: