PDA

View Full Version : Timber Sources - Perth

smidsy
31st May 2004, 02:59 AM
Hei Guys,
Anyone know of any factories in Perth where I can score off cuts suitable for turning - even if I have to laminate.

When I get half good I'll happily pay for quality timber, but I'm sorta loath to pay good money for wood I'll likely kill.

Cheers
Smidsy

gatiep
31st May 2004, 09:54 PM
Smidsy,
When practising any free wood is good wood! Pine is excellent to turn for practice. Go to where there are verge collections..........ppl throw out furniture and cut down trees. Grab both. The logs, although wet, make for excellent turning. Green timber is much easier to turn than dry timber. Then learn how to dry it in a microwave.
Cya mate
Joe

rodm
31st May 2004, 10:07 PM
You could also try your local firewood supplier for mill ends. They shouldn't mind you picking out a few offcuts.

John Saxton
31st May 2004, 10:17 PM
Smidsy,an often overlooked avenue is the building sites check with the builders/foreman on site they will often point you in the direction of a skip or pile of building rubbish.

Also check out the cabinet shops in your local industrial area ...they may also have off-cuts.
Check with your local council/shire about when they are going to have a kerbside pick-up day for tree trimmings etc which often times provide a bounty of good material though green will see you right for some differing woods to store for use down the track the only outlay is some end seal.

HTH
Cheers :)

RETIRED
1st June 2004, 12:16 AM
Another good source is Roof Truss plants.

bitingmidge
1st June 2004, 09:49 AM
......and palletts and packing crates...try tile suppliers, motorbike shops, and glass companies in particular.

Palletts have big lumps of timber in them for spacers often, just be careful in removing all the nails and staples!

Cheers,

P

rsser
1st June 2004, 01:14 PM
... fencers and restumpers for bits of redgum

cliff cook
1st June 2004, 10:36 PM
G`day smidsy
Go down to Henderson and check out the aluminium boat builders, they get some very good stuff from thier packink crates for ali and motors. They usually burn it so most are more than willing to give it to you.

cooky