PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Greg Hall
13th March 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi All,
I have been lurking here for a while, and have am amazed at the depth of knowledge within this forum.
By way of background, am a 50 yo Medical Sciencist, managing a biotech facility for early stage biotech companies in Adelaide.
SHMBO came up with classic line "you work too hard, you need a hobby", so having done some woodturning during my high school years (too long ago to remeber!) I thought that it was time to get back on the job.
Step one was a new workshop, so set to work over the Christmas break with this being the result:

Having progressed this far, and having turned a few practice pieces, I purchaed a piece of mahogany and a NG Rosewood, with this being the outcome:

I have booked myself in for a ten week (saturday mornings) turning course at a local wookturning supplier, so I look forward to expanding my skills and hopefully get to the level of you all here.
Cheers,
Greg.

rsser
13th March 2009, 06:59 AM
Welcome Greg.

You're still working too hard mate ... that workshop is far too clean ;-}

artme
13th March 2009, 07:32 AM
:whs: and a big welcome from me in particular.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Willy Nelson
13th March 2009, 07:38 AM
Welcome Greg
Yes, workshop is far too clean. :D
I get the impression you aren't a novice turner based upon the workshop and the two offerings. Can I suggest you source your timbers locally, as wood turning is going to get very expensive, very soon. I especially liked the large bowl.:2tsup:
Regards
Willy

Greg Hall
13th March 2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Willy,
I am glad you like the bowl. I can assure you that I have not touched a lathe prior to jan this year since I was 16. I regard to the cost of the wood, I agree, but as the budget for the contruction and initail equiping of the work shop blew out (ouch!) I am in the prosess of salting away some cash for a decent size band saw to cut my own blanks.
I am still not confident enough to go thru the turning a square to a circle process as yet, hence my entrollemt in the woodturning lessons.
The clean workshop comes from spenting too much time in laboratories, where cleanliness is paramount. Old habits die hard.
Greg.

Rum Pig
13th March 2009, 08:53 AM
The clean workshop comes from spenting too much time in laboratories, where cleanliness is paramount. Old habits die hard.
Greg.
Woodturning will fix that for you:U
The more time you spend cleaning the less time on the lathe:U

Welcome aboard look forward to seeing how you improve after some lessons.

Wayne Blanch
13th March 2009, 09:42 AM
Welcome Greg!

Regarding your workshops cleanliness, I justify the state of my workshop by remembering that the wood is only dirty on the outside - therefore the shavings are clean:D, and they wouldn't fall to the floor if they didn't want to be there.:rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
13th March 2009, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the club Greg:U:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
13th March 2009, 06:11 PM
Hellllloooooo!!!!! :)

I've only been turning since Jan too (other then a little some 20 years ago) so welcome to the band!

Take my advice - clean up every second day or so. That way you can work until you run out of light. No bacteria is going to grow - unless it's in spalted wood, and you WANT that!!! :)

That bowl and plate look LOVELY! Nice shine :)

Sawdust Maker
13th March 2009, 08:07 PM
Your SWMBO told you to get a hobby
wonderful woman - look after her :2tsup:

welcome to the forum
nice setup but as others have said too clean - this means not enough time at the lathe too much time at the broom
This is a hobby, supposed to make you relax so be cool and not worry too much about that dust. It's a byproduct of the enjoyment :rolleyes:

terry arnold
13th March 2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the nut house Greg. turning soon becomes an addiction and you won't have time for all that cleaning.

Cheers Mate
Terry:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
13th March 2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome Greg, you have a wonderful lady, telling you that you need a hobby.
My sweet don't told me that. But a workshop has to look a bit messy, else no one gets the idea that it is a workshop. Just like Eliza said, clean it up frequently.
Have fun.
Ad

orificiam
13th March 2009, 11:04 PM
And a big welcome from me as well.Nice turnings B.T.W.Looking forward to some more soon.
Cheers Tony..:):)

NeilS
14th March 2009, 01:43 PM
Welcome on board, Greg.

Goody, another member from Adelaide. At this rate we will be able to have our own local get-together, and have more than three people turn up...:)

Neil

Evan Pavlidis
14th March 2009, 03:27 PM
Welcome aboard Greg. Good to see a new creative addict on the forum. :D
You are very blessed to have a wife saying "you work too hard, you need a hobby".
Look forward to see more of your work :)

Cheers, Evan

coffenup
14th March 2009, 07:42 PM
Greg I too live in adelaide I know where the couse is so please let us know if its worth it caus ei was looking at doing the same course.
Regards Michael

bellyup
15th March 2009, 11:46 AM
Hello Greg,
Welcome!
You'll find alot of help and encouragement within this forum - you only have to ask and great advice from around the world arrives at your computer before you know it.
Jump in and have fun.
Bruce.

Greg Hall
19th March 2009, 07:02 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I will make sure that I post some pics once the workshop is in a suitable state of disrepair!
Greg.:)

Rum Pig
19th March 2009, 01:38 PM
See you are staring to change your habits already:2tsup:

robutacion
19th March 2009, 02:34 PM
Hi All,
I have been lurking here for a while, and have am amazed at the depth of knowledge within this forum.
By way of background, am a 50 yo Medical Sciencist, managing a biotech facility for early stage biotech companies in Adelaide.
SHMBO came up with classic line "you work too hard, you need a hobby", so having done some woodturning during my high school years (too long ago to remeber!) I thought that it was time to get back on the job.
Step one was a new workshop, so set to work over the Christmas break with this being the result:

Having progressed this far, and having turned a few practice pieces, I purchaed a piece of mahogany and a NG Rosewood, with this being the outcome:

I have booked myself in for a ten week (saturday mornings) turning course at a local wookturning supplier, so I look forward to expanding my skills and hopefully get to the level of you all here.
Cheers,
Greg.

Ah, ah...! I knew, this name was familiar...!:;
I do remember to read your introduction post, had a good look at the pics, and than lost track! I could at least have said hello, I didn't and I apologize, fortunately, there were a few forumates that gave you the welcoming reception!:doh:

I "stumble" across this thread again, making me to realize how come I mention to you, your name was familiar to me...!

You most certainly don't look to be a "beginner" with woodturning, but again, some people do seem to have a natural talent.

One should remember that woodturning appears to be one of the most "receptive" hobbies a bloke is allowed to have by their wifes, and is not that difficult to figure out why, they always get priority on anything you make, they know if you want to catch the fly, you're ain't going to give them vinegar, huh:o:D!

Hum...OK, another local turner is great and a little butterfly is telling me that your timber stock problems are nearly over, right? I say no more...! :whistling: :seald:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO