PDA

View Full Version : First beads on a little bowl

jefferson
13th March 2009, 12:44 PM
After some hesitation, I decided to try my hand at putting some beads on.

I didn't do too well, with either the beads or the photos (I must stop the DTs).

Here it is:

The mistakes were many.

First, I thought I had almost developed some skill with the gouge. Not so. In the end, I put the Ci1 Easy Rougher to work.

Second, I cut the recess too deep, making the little bowl quite thick and not a great look. The bowl should be a lot deeper as a result.

Third, form is terrible.

Four, tearout! No amount of sanding could remove some of the pick out on the beads, so I must be more careful with the tools.

Redgum dust up the nose at the moment too! I must sort out my cyclone which is just sitting there waiting to be assembled.

Any and all comments, suggestions welcome.

Jeff

Tornatus
13th March 2009, 04:31 PM
Five: Learn how to focus my camera ......

Or, is my computer screen getting as far away as my lathe spindle, which has been looking a bit blurry lately ...:no:

ElizaLeahy
13th March 2009, 05:13 PM
Try taking the photo outside. Put something around it, like a white box, so that the background is all the one colour. Have it in the light, but not in direct sunlight. Make sure that the distance setting on your camera is correct - if you are taking a close photo or standing further away.

From what I can see of the bowl it looks ok, but if you say so! But - you learnt from your mistakes, right? So make another one!

:D

(I've made so many mistakes - I've learnt so much! heehee)

RETIRED
13th March 2009, 05:45 PM
Not bad for a first try Jeff.

Just knew I should have confiscated that Ci1.:wink::D

Ad de Crom
13th March 2009, 09:08 PM
Jeff, it's hard to see the beads. Just like Eliza, take outside the shop pictures, much better. My American girl penfriend use a Thompson 3/8'' detail gouge for beads
Ad :2tsup:

jefferson
13th March 2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks all.

I must go and get a decent digital camera so I can post some decent pics. I've also got to learn to use the gouge as the Ci1 is a dusty tool on redgum. The way I'm going at the moment, the tool seems to want to suck in and cut deeper and deeper.....

Back to the gring tomorrow. Maybe I'll learn some more.

Jeff

orificiam
13th March 2009, 10:43 PM
Hi Jeff AAAaaaaa Red Gum I know the feeling. I've seen turners do beads with parting
Tool on it's side. Never tried it myself but you never know it could work.
Happy turning.
Cheers Tony.:?:?

joe greiner
13th March 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi Jeff AAAaaaaa Red Gum I know the feeling. I've seen turners do beads with parting
Tool on it's side. Never tried it myself but you never know it could work.
Happy turning.
Cheers Tony.:?:?
Yes. Works like a tiny skew chisel, slicing instead of chopping.

And yes to outdoors, too, preferably on the unlit side of a building (North in the upover, South downunder). The brighter light should force the camera to use a smaller aperture, and enhance depth of focus. The camera manual may describe optional settings. And digital film is cheap enough to allow many experiments.

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
13th March 2009, 11:19 PM
Jeff, the bowls form looks pretty good....even with the focus situation!:2tsup:

...as far as that goes, use of a tripod goes a long way in getting a good snapshot:U

artme
14th March 2009, 08:04 AM
For all you self criticism Jeff you need to see that this has been a great learning exercise and that you have done a darned good job!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
17th March 2009, 03:50 PM
Jeff, It is usual that we are the most critical of our own work and you certainly seem to be doing that. If you can identify the areas that could be improved in your own work you have already improved!:2tsup:
Having said that it seems from that pictures that the attempt at the beads was a great first try, and after all the beads were the reason for the bowl. It is great to be critical of your own work but you still need to see the positives. It was a great effort :way2go:
Re the tear out, I find that if I am getting tear out I ensure that the tools are sharp and I take smaller/lighter cuts. IMHO it is easier to make more light cuts than to sand for longer. (I hate sanding:~)
All in all a great effort!
Regards
Wayne

tea lady
17th March 2009, 11:32 PM
Certainly not as ugly as you lead us to believe. Quite nice really. Always takes a few goes to get a new form working. So go and do another one Jeff. :cool: