PDA

View Full Version : Re-centring work

Woodwould
14th March 2009, 08:52 AM
I'm sure you're all familiar with the scenario: You've parted the end off a spindle or handle and subsequently need to re-centre it at the tailstock end.

I made up a 60 degree cup live centre for my old lathe so I could easily re-centre the tail end of chair spindles etc. I would like a similar device for my new lathe, but I thought I'd enquire if anyone uses something else or if there is a modern equivalent?

I've got a centre square and a Veritas centre marker thingymajig, but a cup that automatically centres the end of a previously turned (and squarely parted) spindle is more convenient, simpler and infinitely quicker.

rsser
14th March 2009, 09:08 AM
If you've got the dough then the Nova Live Centre system has a cup to go into the tailstock.

If the finish is not critical, or could be improved by hand, you could always turn up a dead cup centre with a morse taper at the other end (dimensions have been posted here some time ago, by me IIRC), lube the friction point and have at it. Or use it static if before turning it up you've drilled a thin hole that you can insert a rod through to mark the workpiece centre.

oldiephred
14th March 2009, 09:19 AM
Most live centers have a removable center. I had a steel cup made, similar to what you describe, with a tenon that is the same size as the tenon on the center, then replace the center with the cup when needed. I thought of getting a spare live center and putting the cup in so I have one pointed and one cup center but am too cheap to do that for occasional use.

rsser
14th March 2009, 09:24 AM
Yep. The NLC system follows that principle.

Woodwould
14th March 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks men! :2tsup:

Can you recommend a retailer (or two) of the Nova set-up?

rsser
14th March 2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144839&product_id=1107452385

Woodwould
14th March 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks Ern! :2tsup:

RETIRED
14th March 2009, 11:58 AM
Have to ask. What size spindles as the cone centre on a Nova only takes up to about 40mm.

Of course if you want cone drives we have a few from 300 MM -10MM:wink:

Woodwould
14th March 2009, 12:03 PM
Just because you've got the contract for turning Victoria's power poles! :q

I'm only thinking of turning tool handles and chair parts, so 40mm diameter should do me alright.

NeilS
14th March 2009, 01:53 PM
Of course if you want cone drives we have a few from 300 MM -10MM:wink:

And I thought I had seen everything....:o

Neil