PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Show

craigb
31st May 2004, 02:20 PM
The list of exhibitors and the floor plans for the Sydney Show are now up on the exhibition web site.

Go here: www.workingwithwood.com

Craig

MikeK
31st May 2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks Craig. I'm looking forward to attending.

John Saxton
31st May 2004, 08:50 PM
:) Can't wait to retire and do Oz on the endless roundabout with occasional stops for fishin' in between wood shows and a few months at home.

Hope you guy's enjoy yourselves at the show!

Cheers

craigb
4th June 2004, 03:43 PM
Just back from the Show, it was pretty much the same as last year.
Carbatec and Timbecon stands were the busiest again.

Had a look at the Ryobi industrial SCMS. Looks pretty good. They had them on sale for $935. That's a fair bit cheaper than the Makita or DeWalt I think. I'd like to see a review of one - any plans Dean ? :p

Said G'day to Neil and bought some hard shellac. The U-Beaut stand was very busy again, which was good to see.

GMC aren't selling the fixed base router at the show, so if you want one, head into Bunnings. I picked one up on the way to the show. Bunnings Artarmon had a pallet full of them. I also got an angle grinder for $24 because I didn't own one.

Got some Titebond glue from Carbatec and I couldn't resist a Colen Clenton 6" square in Rose Sheoak. It's truely a thing of beauty.

Picked up a 6000 grit waterstone from MIK for $45 and a couple of cheap 600 mm clamps from the guy in the tent outside and that was it.

So I think I was prety well behaved this year.

Hope the missus sees it the way. :D

Terry Gordon is there again demoing his planes and that was worth a visit.
I was tempted by his #6 but I managed to resist ;)

Cheers
Craig

AlexS
4th June 2004, 09:46 PM
A good boys' (and girls' - sorry Jackie & others) day out...restrained myself this year (bought a tablesaw last week). Good bargains at Ubeaut's of course - bought some odds & ends. Also, McJing has some good bargains on clamps - 12" throat @ $28, also 1m F clamps $20. Carbatec has the same discounts as at their sale last week. Some very nice work on display at some of the TAFE & school exhibits - the future is in good hands.

Zed
5th June 2004, 08:27 AM
Im heading out there today - thanks for the feedback guys.

Ill also be dropping by U-beauts stand and i've made some muffins for the ubeauters. Tell Neil that "zed sent me" and he may drop a muffin on ya! unless he's coffed them himself....

cheers

GregLee
5th June 2004, 05:42 PM
Hey Zed,

I was at the Ubeat stand today and was offered one of your muffins. Very tasty.... My wife wants the recipe..

Chocolate Muffins.. Yum Yum... ;)

Zed
5th June 2004, 06:35 PM
Mrs beaut said some cad had grabbed a muffin but not offered his moniker... was that you Greg ? very naughty... :D

the recipe is an old family secret - available only to those who submit extensive reputation points in homage... :eek:

Mrs Beaut, neil and stoppers umm ah... christopha are alright by me I feel much better with my own lack of manners after a little chat with Dstop esq. :)

hope you enjoyed the muffins

I got a nice jarrah burl I've almost finsihed making a table out of today i'll post it once its finished. the wws always makes me get in a dusty frenzy!

cheers

DarrylF
5th June 2004, 07:39 PM
I was a bit dubious at first Zed - but great muffins mate. Thanks :)

Got there around 10:30 this morning and before I knew it 4 came around. Good day. Got a bunch of small bits & pieces - sorely tempted to hit the card real hard today, but managed to resist. Definitely extended the wishlist though :)

GregLee
5th June 2004, 07:48 PM
Zed,

I have to admit it was me without the Moniker. I need to invent something a bit better than my real name. Then maybe I won't be so shy.

multinut
5th June 2004, 08:35 PM
yo Zed
nice muffins
i handed in my moniker
also got a good deal from neil
i cant seem to put the polishes handbook down
in fact i think i might go and make myself a swooge
cheers
multinut
http://www.ubeaut.biz/crowd.gif

oges
6th June 2004, 05:14 PM
good to meet you on the Saturday multinut, your carvings looked great in person

mkcl
7th June 2004, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately, I was a bit late to get any of those muffins, but it was nice to meet Neil and have a bit of a chat with him and Pauline. Bought some stuff off them, but felt too guilty to ask for the 10% discount! (Even so, Neil fixed me up with a great deal anyway.)

Wandered over to the Major Woodworking stand, since I've been ogling the SuperSaw for a while now. Ended up getting the SuperSaw, a jointer and a few other bits and pieces off them, and have to say that the service and pricing were excellent. Never bought off them before, but they seem happy to go the extra mile (the bit I like the most is the free delivery to my place, since I can only imagine what the shipping charges would have been otherwise). Can't wait to have a play with all my new Jet gear!

And I've gotta echo Brett ... the photos of multinut's carvings don't really do them justice. They look fantastic IRL.

Michael.

multinut
7th June 2004, 08:23 PM
:)
oges,mkcl
thanks for the raps
was good to meet you oges
i was amazed at how small those kangaroos were
also
it was good to meet some of the people from this BB
u
beaut
doorstop
wongo
and any others that did not pipe up
once again zed nice muffins
i was actually offered another on sunday but declined
i didnt spend that much this year on toys for myself
but i did by spend up at the u-beaut stand
i have also come to the conclusion that swooge is my newest favourite word
cheers all
multinut
;)

GregLee
8th June 2004, 01:46 AM
Hi MKCL,

How much did you end up paying for the supersaw, Jointer etc? My wife wants me to wait until after end of Tax Year. So I have about 3 weeks then I can get one.

mkcl
8th June 2004, 03:52 AM
Hi Greg,

I can't give you an exact breakdown on prices because I negotiated a total price for the stuff I was buying. Suffice it to say that I was happy with the deal I got. (The other reason I can't give a breakdown is: I gave Ryan from MWE my word I wouldn't post the prices I got ... he reads these forums from time to time, and had visions of everyone using posted prices as leverage!) Have a haggle and see what price you can do (you should definitely be able to knock a bit off), although I don't think they'll go as low as Gary Pye. I suspect they have higher overheads, plus Gary Pye may be doing some loss leading since he's a new Jet distributor.

I don't know if I would have waited for tax time if I was you. If you know you're going to get it for sure, you're unlikely to get a better price than at show time. Anyway, up to you.

Oh, one other thing. I was told that they are considering not carrying the Jet 6" jointer any more. When I visited their store, they didn't have stock; only the floor model (which was in good condition, so I bought it).

Michael.

DarrylF
8th June 2004, 07:30 AM
Michael, Can't say I blame them for that :)

Greg, I've always found Major Woodworking Machinery good guys to deal with and well open to negotiation, especially if you're doing a little bulk buying. I'd do a shop around - get prices from Gary Pye etc - then go see them. Show or not I'm sure they'll look after you. Remember sometimes you're going to pay a little more for decent local backup and them having stock.

I'm pretty sure they'll be at AWISA next month and at the Newcastle show in August anyway.

They mentioned to me they're considering not stocking the Jet jointer any more as well - too many at the low end going for the Carbatec I guess (which was $495 at the show). Personally I still have the Jet on my wishlist - just seems much better finished, even though it's a couple hundred more. Hope they do get some more in.

GregLee
8th June 2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks DarrylF, Mkcl for the feedback.

I would probably buy my Supersaw from MWE anyway even if it costs a little more as I have only had positive experiences talking with them personally and most feedback I've had from others has been good.

I've always found it's better to deal with someone local if possible. Shame about the Jointer though. I would rather buy a Jet than the carbatec anyday.

Delaying my purchase to next month is more about cash flow than tax time. Our washing machine died inconveniently a few days before the WW show. So $1400 later for a new Maytag Washer my Saw has now slipped a month or so.

Darryl what's AWISA next month?

DarrylF
8th June 2004, 09:16 PM
Australian Woodworking Industry Showcase or something similar - the major woodworking trade show. It's at Darling Harbour I believe. Mostly higher end commercial stuff I think, and I haven't been but would guess there's going to be some mid-level stuff as well. Major Woodworking Machinery will apparently have the Powermatic gear there along with their commercial saws & dust extractors etc.

I think you'll find an ad for the show in the latest magazines.