PDA

View Full Version : What ,Wood,Where?.

hotrod100
31st May 2004, 06:12 PM
Hi Guy's
As a newby to the woodturning community and therefore not previously having any need to identify different species of tree's and timber, I am finding it most difficult to find a suitable book on the subject.
Most book's I have come across have plenty of writen descripiton's plus scientific and common name's but no PICTURE'S for identification purpose's.(What's a book without piccie's?).
I therefore hope that I am not the only one to suffer this problem ,and that someone can recommend a book to fill in the gap in my education on this subject, also I would be equally grateful for any recommendation's on any good book's covering the subject of wood finishing etc.
Thank's Rod

ozwinner
31st May 2004, 06:33 PM
For finishing try here.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/book.html

There you go Neil, one more sale, http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/contrib/sarge/Blurp_anim.gif

Al

Dean
31st May 2004, 07:21 PM
Here's a lead for an aussie timber book:
http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/category120_1.htm

jhunt_2000
31st May 2004, 08:40 PM
Hotrod 101, A field guide to Australian Trees. By Ivan Holliday. Third Edition. Published by New Holland Publishers. I've found it to be reasonably comprehensive, affordable at $32.95 from Dymocks, and small enough to be carried around. Also the photos are excellent. Hope it is of some help to you. As usual, I have no association with any of the people or companies mentioned here; I'm just very happy.

jhunt_2000
31st May 2004, 08:42 PM
OOPS, I mean hi Hotrod 100. :o

hotrod100
2nd June 2004, 06:39 PM
Thank's Guy's
All the book's recommended look like excellent read's on there individual subject's.
Al the book put out by Neil is a definite for the shopping list, as on further investigation it seem's that every man and his dog are using that particular book on wood finishing.

Dean the book you recommended look's to do a very good job on identifying Australian hardwood's , (With piccie's as well ) excellent.

Jhunt I managed to get a copy of that book you recommend from the public library, so I get the chance to check it out for a month for free look's like it will do the job admirabley.So many thank's from me Hotrod100 (and thank's from him Hotrod101). :)

I am currently reading a book entitled
AUSTRALIAN WOODTURNING PROJECTS
I think it is put out by the Australian Wood Review mag, (found the book at the library) a really good read, some half a dozen top class woodturner's and thirty excellent project's,(I'm a newby so I might easily be impressed ) but if I can half as good as these guy's I would be happy as a "pig - in - poo".
Once again thank's
Rod

ozwinner
2nd June 2004, 06:45 PM
Al the book put out by Neil is a definite for the shopping list, as on further investigation it seem's that every man and his dog are using that particular book on wood finishing.Rod
Wonder why? :D ;) :p

Al

outback
2nd June 2004, 09:06 PM
yeh I agree with Oz, I mean if ya use the book, the pages will rip and smudge and stuff, and it won't last long at all.

Oh I get it Oz was being clever :o silly me :p