PDA

View Full Version : Tips for beginners.

RETIRED
15th March 2009, 04:47 PM
After a number of requests from woodturning club and forum members to write about my thoughts on woodturning and allied subjects I have finally started.

Hopefully it will help beginners in particular select tools and machinery and not make the same mistakes that most have, me included.

Please remember that these opinions are mine and like most people I have slight bias towards some things but I will try to keep that bias out of this as much as I can.

I will break it up into sections and post up each bit when I can.

The lathe and its bits.99255

First off: The Lathe. I am talking about the most common lathes that most will buy or use.

Technically it is a machine that spins wood around so that we can apply a bit of steel to the timber to put shapes into it.

There is a plethora of lathes on the market at the moment to suit all budgets and levels of competence but getting a good one with the right features for you is not hard.

I have found that a lot of people have trouble turning not so much because of their own lack of skill but the machine is not capable of doing what they want.

We will start with construction first and move through the components.

It really does not matter if it is constructed of wood, steel or cast iron as long as some simple criteria are met. I have seen and owned good and bad in all of them.

The bed of the lathe is probably the single most important part of the lathe. It must be straight, strong and stable because everything else hangs off it in most cases.

You may notice that I did not mention flat because I have seen some beds that have a raised "V" like metal turning lathes to locate the tail stock. They generally have a saddle like metal turning lathes as well. These are rare. In all other cases the ways should be flat.

It should have some webbing or strengthening at the lower portions to stop spread of the ways and resist torsional twisting.9925499257

Pressed steel (flimsy) components for the bed should be avoided as should hollow steel bars.

Single bars (Myford, not the Chinese clones) and double solid steel bars like the Record or older Teknatool are very strong but care is needed in fitting them to a stand to make sure you keep them co planar.

When bolting all lathes down you should be cautious that you are not bending them.

Long beds should have some anchor points midway for support. 99256

Wooden beds benefit from having angle or flat iron fitted to the top to stop wear from the banjo or tailstock when being moved.

Arguments rage as to whether or not cast iron is better than steel. To be honest I have not noticed much difference provided that the above is adhered to and good sized steel section is used.

The biggest thing going for cast iron is weight (more on that later) and ease of manufacture. It is far easier to cast all the components than fabricate them with the problems of pulling when welding.

The headstock.

The headstock consists of a casing that contains a shaft that rotates in bearings. It generally has pulleys at one end or in the centre.

It can be again wood, cast iron or steel.99252

The headstock takes the brunt of all the work. It has every force known applied to it to wrench it from its mountings.

Lets look at the forces applied. In spindle turning it has longitudinal force applied by the tailstock which tries to push it over. It also has a twisting force if the wood is out of balance. This also acts on the mounting point. Out of balance timber is also trying to rip it upwards or shove it downwards through the bed. 99253

Not a happy chappy our headstock.

The headstock therefore must be well fixed to the bed with a good bearing surface and strong enough to resist all that.

A swivel headstock is a matter of personal preference and depends on the work you do. I personally love mine on the Teknatool for doing small bowls and goblets as you don't have to lean across the bed for hollowing.

Not a neccessity but nice to have.

If you do get a swivel headstock make sure that it has positive detents and locks down flat on the mounting.

The same forces also apply to the shaft holding our timber.

Most shafts these days are 30mm or more in Diameter. This is strong enough for nearly all applications of the work that can be turned on size of the lathe. Bigger work needs a bigger shaft. Our big lathe has a 50mm solid steel shaft because of the weight and forces exerted on it.

It is preferable that the shaft be drilled right through with a No.2 Morse taper at the drive end. Most accessories that use a morse taper use this size.

Being drilled right through enables a knock out bar to be used to eject the drive. It also allows the use of draw bolts to lock some drives in.

The industry for a long time used about 6 different threads on the nose of the spindle which made fitting face plates or chucks to different lathes a nightmare.

Fortunately they seem to have settled on one at least in Australia, this being 30mm x 3.5mm.

The bearings that support the shaft also have an additional problem in that they have to rotate whilst coping with the other forces. Spacing of the bearings is important. They should be no closer than 150mm apart (not talking about mini lathes) to support the shaft. If too close the shaft can "wobble" using the bearings as a fulcrum. If too far apart the shaft can bend in the middle.

Some manufacturers use three bearings.

The bearings should have the ability to take axial as well as radial load. Whether they are tapered roller or ball bearings does not matter in my opinion as I have seen failures in both types.

The tapered roller bearings generally have a means of adjusting the free play and this can bring them unstuck if not adjusted correctly.

Most bearings these days are sealed so are lubricated for life.

A little tip for those in colder climates is to run the lathe for a few minutes with no load before you start work to warm the grease up to distribute it around the bearing. It doesn't hurt in warmer climates too.

Also fitted to the shaft is generally an indexing head of 12, 24 or 48 holes. It is handy if doing clocks to space the numbers but its main use is to lock the spindle at various degrees so that you can reed or flute a spindle. The same applies to applying decoration to a bowl or other face plate work.

It is also used as a spindle lock in most cases but be careful that you don't "strip" it. If it is not to be used as that most manufacturers warn you of it and have other means to lock the spindle for removing chucks etc.

Not a necessity as one can be added later.

The last thing that the shaft does is support the pulleys to allow you to change speeds.

In this day and age most pulleys are multivee. The advantages of these belts is they transfer power better without as much slippage and run quieter than the older "V" belts.

If a multivee is noisy a drop of brake fluid will generally quieten it.

I prefer my pulleys on the outside of the shaft so that if a belt breaks it is easily replaced.

Pulleys mounted between the bearings require the shaft to be taken out to replace the belt. If faced with this situation, replace the bearings as well.

Another tip: put another spare belt in the housing and tape it out of the way.

It is a rare occurence that belts break these days. If it does, investigate why and fix the problem before fitting a new one.

Pulleys should be easily accessible for changing speeds. More on that later.

To be continued.

aak
15th March 2009, 05:36 PM
:2tsup:Looking forward to the next section:2tsup:

Regards
Andy

ElizaLeahy
15th March 2009, 05:39 PM
WOW!

OK, - banjo? Really? You aren't pulling my leg?

Thank you for writing this! :)

Pat
15th March 2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks . :cool:

Sawdust Maker
15th March 2009, 08:10 PM
great work
would have liked to have read it two or three years ago :D

kevjed
15th March 2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks ,
I'm laping it up.
Kevin

orificiam
15th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks Very much appreciated.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Tony.

Calm
15th March 2009, 08:38 PM
too often talented people take their knowledge with them giving the impression they are either scared someone will know as much as them (losing their superioity) or take their job off them.

It is a delight to see someone as yourself who has the talent and interest in a subject to promote and share that with others. Having seen your demo's and been the recipient of your advice i congratulate you on this series you have just begun.

Now keep a copy of all this on the hard drive and turn it into a book when you have finished. This is what i have hinted at on other threads regarding the "how to do it" wood turning subject.

Keep up the great work. (hint:- dont get Dingo to rewrite the book that would make it an <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> encyclopedia.

Have a greenie - you can have them cant you??

Cheers

joe greiner
15th March 2009, 10:35 PM
WOW!

Tool rest support, Eliza. I have no idea why. Google [woodturning banjo] will need some deep digging.

Off to a great start, .:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Big Shed
15th March 2009, 10:38 PM
WOW!

Maybe start here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo_%28wood_lathe%29)?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2009, 11:48 PM
You can't believe everything they say in these wiki things. :no:

Everyone knows that the real reason they're called banjos is 'cos of the distinctly unmusical sound they make when you drop one onto a concrete floor...

Wayne Blanch
16th March 2009, 10:14 AM
It is nice to see this information available to all. I would have loved to have seen it when I first started. It will be a great resource for all the new members just starting out with turning. All we need to do is point them to these posts and many of their questions will be answered. (Both the questions that you are willing to ask on a public forum and the questions that you may hesitate to ask because you don't want to look an idiot.:doh:)
I have sent a greenie your way. IŽd buy you a beer but it would be warm by the time it got there.
Thanks again.

NeilS
16th March 2009, 10:42 AM
:2tsup:... all very clear and easy to read, .

Just one query....

Fortunately they seem to have settled on one at least in Australia, this being 30mm x 3mm.

Vicmarc and Woodfast both have a 3.5 threads. Are some makes using 3?

Neil

artme
16th March 2009, 11:06 AM
Nice one .:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Looking forward to following instalments.

Just a point on cast iron: apart from it being relatively inexpensive to make it has the advantage of being a good vibration absorber due to its grain structure. This is another reason for the use of cast iron in heavy machinery.

RETIRED
16th March 2009, 12:38 PM
:2tsup:... all very clear and easy to read, .

Just one query....

Vicmarc and Woodfast both have a 3.5 threads. Are some makes using 3?

NeilMy boob, forgot the 1/2.:-Fixed.

RETIRED
16th March 2009, 12:44 PM
Nice one .:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Looking forward to following instalments.

Just a point on cast iron: apart from it being relatively inexpensive to make it has the advantage of being a good vibration absorber due to its grain structure. This is another reason for the use of cast iron in heavy machinery.Artme, I know that this is the case but I seen some people put off by all steel lathes by the ones that say "It's no good unless it is made of cast iron."

Cliff Rogers
16th March 2009, 12:57 PM
Geeze , that is the most typing I have seen you do in ages. :D

Calm
16th March 2009, 01:52 PM
Geeze , that is the most typing I have seen you do in ages. :D

The second instalement could be a while coming - his first finger on each hand are now in traction.:D:D:D:D

Also he needs to be careful the page doesnt "time out" while he finishes the post.:D:D:D

RETIRED
27th March 2009, 05:42 PM
The tailstock.

At the other end of the bed is the tailstock.

It is subject to all the same forces as the headstock. Unfortunately it does not have the same strength as the headstock because it has a smaller footprint and with the exception of movable head lathes is not an intregal part of the bed.

Some manufacturers seem to add a tailstock as an afterthought. I have seen some flimsy ones that have flexed with only a small amount of stuff in them.

They should be well braced against fore, aft and sideways movement. The quill (the bit that goes in and out) should be a good fit in the housing with a minimum of sideways or up and down movement and should move in and out easily and require no force.

Sometimes they get sticky or sluggish. This is generally caused by excessive oiling and sawdust. Sometimes it is rust because of turning green or wet timber. The only fix is to dismantle it, clean all parts and reassemble.

It is preferable to have the quill drilled right through to allow the use of long hole borers for making lamps. It should also have a morse taper (No2is the most common) as well so that centres, drill chucks and other accessories can be fitted.

It should be able to be screwed in and out at least 75mm to allow the drilling of holes to a reasonable depth whilst locked to the bed.

The locking mechanism should be positive and tight to lock it to the bed. Some creep a little bit no matter what you do. If this happens take the tail stock off and clean everything off including the bed that it locks onto. Assemble it dry and see if it slips.

This fixes most but I am hanged if I know why some do and some don't. Do not oil it again if it fixes the problem.

My big lathe has creep in the tailstock and the fix for that was to fit a locking plate behind it.

The hand wheel should be of sufficient size to enable a good grip to tighten it. A handle is a bonus here.

The housing of the quill should contain a spindle lock to lock the quill once it has engaged in the timber. Most manufactureres use this as a locating pin to stop the quill rotating when tightening the handle. A quarter of turn is generally enough between tight and loose.

The last thing with the tailstock is that it requires a little bit of machine oil every now and again where the hand wheel enters the housing to lubricate the wheel against the lock plate.

The tool rest and banjo is next.

hughie
27th March 2009, 06:46 PM
This fixes most but I am hanged if I know why some do and some don't. Do not oil it again if it fixes the problem.

What I have noticed is that tailstocks that dont move have more mating surface area than others. A good cam lock system fine enough in the movement to just give enough clearance to move the tailstock. A lot of tailstocks have a coarse cam lock on them and they work after a fashion and slip. :~
Quality machining so as the two faces are actually flat so as to give maximum clamping control. Along with good design features such as a good sized locking plate underneath the tailstock. This spreads the clamping over a wide area and would increase the friction required to move the tailstock.

What surprises me is that these sorts of problem are not always confined to the lower end of the market.

sori for the hijack :B

artme
28th March 2009, 10:35 AM
Good point Hughie.:2tsup::2tsup:

My Old Teknatool has a solidly made tail stock but not a camlock. One locked into place via a plate, nut and bolt it stays put

Fireguard
31st March 2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the lessons , Now I'm sitting here eagerly awaiting the next installment :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::brava
:thewave::thewave::thewave:

Cub
4th April 2009, 05:09 PM
Wow this has really helped me a lot, Thanks
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: