PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box with finial

dai sensei
15th March 2009, 08:23 PM
Spent most of yesturday on yard work, so today I decided to take the day off and do a bit of turning. I have plenty of pens to turn, but I couldn't get motivated to turn any, and I am supposed to take 2 turned pieces to the Turn-fest in a few weeks. I sat looking at my wood stash hoping something would speak to me, but no such luck. I then sat on the computer looking at my favourite turners' sites to get some inpiration. The Cindy Drozda (http://cindydrozda.com/) site caught my eye again and I thought I would try another finial box.

Back in the workshop, I wanted 2 contrasting timbers, so found some dry Swamp Mahogany and a Camilia branch (thanks Soundman). Wasn't sure how the Camilia was going to go for a finial, but it turned beautifully. The Swamp Mahogany is a very soft hardwood, but also turned easily. Unfortunately old butterfingers dropped the bottom at one stage :o:doh:, so I did have to return/sand out the dints.

Overall it is 130mm high and 70mm max diameter, side walls are around 3mm (a bit thicker at the bottom), finished with Shellewax/EEE/Glo.

It wasn't until I looked at the photos I noticed a tiny dint (break out) in the lid edge :~, but I am still pretty happy with it.

Cheers

Calm
15th March 2009, 08:28 PM
Absolutely beautiful work again neil,

You are becoming a master at finial's

The contrast in colours/timbers works well.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
15th March 2009, 08:32 PM
Nice one Neil :2tsup:

You've done a good job of keeping the grain flowing from the lid to the bottom.

weisyboy
15th March 2009, 08:33 PM
what yard?

that box looks great.:2tsup:

poulso
15th March 2009, 08:57 PM
Very nice Neil.Well done:2tsup:

powderpost
15th March 2009, 09:04 PM
Nice clean uncluttered lines. :2tsup:
Well done.
Jim

wheelinround
15th March 2009, 09:33 PM
:o Neil I like it great contrast nice timbers working the finial from both bits :2tsup:

joe greiner
15th March 2009, 10:53 PM
Only "pretty happy?" An understatement, I reckon. I had to force myself to see a very slight change in the finish around the equator of the bowl, but that's about all I found.

Very well done - Design, execution, and recovery too.

Cheers,
Joe

Ad de Crom
15th March 2009, 11:17 PM
Neil, absolutely a stunning piece, good use of two wood spieces, well excecuted, good looking finial, perfect shape.
Ad :2tsup:

ss_11000
16th March 2009, 12:15 AM
:2tsup:

Nice one neil

bowl-basher
16th March 2009, 08:43 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
WoW
Nice one
Bowl basher

Oeistein
16th March 2009, 08:44 AM
A very beautiful piece this one, Neil

Ed Reiss
16th March 2009, 12:45 PM
Nailed that one Neil...good work on the box:2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
16th March 2009, 03:16 PM
Nice you have done good:2tsup::D

artme
16th March 2009, 08:09 PM
Love it!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

orificiam
16th March 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm speechless :o:o
Great work Neil.:2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
16th March 2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the comments guys and gals :B

I still have a lot to learn, practice practice practice. I like it, but it is a long way short of a piece that commands the $000's the experts can get, and I did make some mistakes on the finial shape.

dr4g0nfly
17th March 2009, 08:21 AM
That is so pretty, love the finial but the effect of the pale base seems to make it look like the rest of it is floating above the table.

Very good turning.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 09:15 AM
That is very beautiful! Love the colours together, and the texture/no texture of the two woods.

The shape is lovely too.

How do you attatch the two different woods - and at what point?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th March 2009, 06:04 PM

I still have a lot to learn, practice practice practice. I like it, but it is a long way short of a piece that commands the $000's the experts can get, and I did make some mistakes on the finial shape.

I've seen some pretty average work coming from these self-same experts...

They're almost like that proverbial "girl with a little curl." When they are good, they're very, very good. When they're bad, they're just average.

It seems to be the name that adds those extra zeros to the end, not the quality.

Still, it's no mean accomplishment to become a "known name" in the first place.

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 06:15 PM

I've seen some pretty average work coming from these self-same experts...

They're almost like that proverbial "girl with a little curl." When they are good, they're very, very good. When they're bad, they're just average.

It seems to be the name that adds those extra zeros to the end, not the quality.

Still, it's no mean accomplishment to become a "known name" in the first place.

I can certainly back that up. Often artists are known by their name, not necessarily by what they can do. And even top master craftsman can produce an off piece.

BUT - what is an off piece to one person might really drag at the heart strings of another person! I've had stuff that I consider crap sell for good prices - just because I didn't like didn't mean it wasn't likeable.

We are our own worst critics.

(well, not me... I have no judgment what so ever anymore!)

dai sensei
17th March 2009, 08:11 PM
How do you attatch the two different woods - and at what point?

Probably a few ways of doing it, but this is the way I did it as I remember:
The darker timber was turned round (spindle turning) then parted off into two parts.
Hold the lid part in your scroll chuck jaws and finish turning the inside of the lid.
Hold the bottom part in the jaws and finish turn the inside, but do not sand/polish the joint, just size of opening to enable jam fit with lid.
Jam fit the 2 parts and roughly turn to shape with a small round tennon at either end.
Turn the lighter timber round and part in half, then turn small mortices at one end of each to match the tennons.
Glue on the lighter timber pieces to the darker timbers (still jam fitted together) on the lathe, one at a time to ensure they are placed true (use scroll chuck at one end, tailstock at other).
Turn and finish the outside shape of the main body and start of finial (bulge end) still with two halves together (scroll chuck holding one end, finial end supported by tailstock). The finial should be the bulge size all the way from the budge.
Separate the two parts now and finish the bottom half joint to be slip joint (no need to turn, sanding and polishing will do).
Finish the foot and part off excess
Turn scrap of soft timber with tennon for jam fit of bottom half, then finish foot.
Turn scrap of soft timber with recess for jam fit of lid and support finial with tailstock
Finish off finial bulge and taper, including sanding and ploishing, with size reminder to that of small knob, but still allowing support from tailstock.
Remove tailstock and finish off finial tip supporting with hand.
Hope all this makes sense.

efgee88
17th March 2009, 10:02 PM
What a beautiful body - love the shape - well done!

munruben
18th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Excellent:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: