PDA

View Full Version : Containers for mixing small amouts of cement

barrysumpter
1st June 2004, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyonw know of a place I can bug those 5 liter bucket containers with a sealable lid.

I want to mix cement by hand for small jobs.

:cool:

Barry_White
1st June 2004, 11:33 AM
Hi Barry

If your looking for a plastic one how about in the kitchen ware dept and probaly pretty cheap in places like The Warehouse - Crazy prices etc.

scooter
1st June 2004, 12:03 PM
5 liter bucket containers with a sealable lid.
:cool:

Gday Barry, you could try Bunnings, they have white 10 & 20 litre lidded buckets (if I insist on using old fashioned lids am I a Liddite?? :o ) and may have a 5 litre jobbie.

Also, you could try bakeries or cake shops, my sister is a pastrycook & they get a lot of premix stuff like custard & icing in similar buckets.

Not quite what you're after but I have seen at Bunnings a "tradies" bucket which is fairly soft and is supposed to let you "flex" out any dried cement, mortar or whatever.

Good luck mate..........cheers..............Sean

journeyman Mick
1st June 2004, 04:24 PM
Barry,
mixing concrete or mortar doesn't work that well in a bucket as you tend to end up with unmixed pockets around the bottom circumference. You're probably better off mixing on a bit of ply or in a wheelbarrow and then transferring (if necessary) to a bucket. You usually make a mound with a hollowed top (like a volcano) with your mix and add the water to the hollow. You mix by tipping the surrounding mix into the crater with your trowel. Any water that runs over the edge will usually be soaked up before it gets away. Plasterers, tilers and bakeries are all good sources of 5 &10 litre buckets with lids.

Mick

bitingmidge
1st June 2004, 05:16 PM
There is a technique for mixing in buckets that works well enough for small quantities:

Use TWO buckets, and instead of stirring or kneading, pour from one to the other repeatedly. REPEATEDLY.

Mix dry first, then add as much water as you dare while still allowing the mix to fall of its own accord.

After half a dozen attempts you should get really good at it! ;)

Cheers,

P

Chesand
1st June 2004, 06:13 PM
Barry
I saw these for sale at Dairy Bell Ice Cream Shop in Doncaster so I would think their other shops would have them also. About $2-00 from memory

Tip hunter
2nd June 2004, 12:13 AM
Try a deli. Their buckets are air tight and they get their cheeses like fetta in them.

Taffy
2nd June 2004, 10:42 PM
Barry, if you know any painters you should be able to pick up plenty of used paint buckets, 10 and 20 ltr are quite common, also old pool chlorine buckets are strong and re-sealable.

Taffy