PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in buying an new Router

Dust Maker
1st June 2004, 01:03 PM
Hi every one,

I saw a 1550 w GMC router on ebay for $198 with bits Is it any good or should I get another one?? any help is highly appreciated.

By the way $200 is the budget

Thanks

Dust Maker

scooter
1st June 2004, 01:24 PM
Gday DM, not sure about the price, Bunnings have a few GMC routers so would probably be worth looking there to compare price.

Select a router brand & size depending on your anticipated needs. Important to be aware that GMC is a power tool brand at the economical end of the market so your expectations should be relative. Paying more for a tool usually gets better quality everywhere but may not be warranted for ocassional use.

I have a Hitachi M12V router for table and heavier duty handheld use, this is a bigger heavier router that will last and I'm quite happy with, but is out of your $200 bracket.

I also have a little GMC router, 600W I think with a 1/4" collet, it was under $100 and is OK for light handheld use such as roundovers etc but I have no great expectations of it. I have already replaced the brushes once after not a great deal of use, and it has a fair amount of end float in the arbor which isn't ideal in a router where depth precision is important.

I also have a GMC scrollsaw which is doing fine but once again my expectations reflect the price and target market of the tool.

Good luck mate........cheers..........Sean

TOMARTOM
1st June 2004, 02:23 PM
I think that in your budget the GMC is probably the best choice, I am not sure of the "package" offered but I would say that you must keep your docket. Again Keep your docket so that you can get a replacment if there are any problems. I went through 3 GMC routers in around a year (all switch related) problems.

Go for the 1/2 inch model as there is negligable price difference between 1/2 and 1/4 router bits and you can always use a reduction collet.

Get a set of ear muffs($25) and safety eye glasses ($2-5) and you are set.

regards tony

GregLee
2nd June 2004, 12:24 AM
You should be able to get that same Router with Bits from any Mitre 10 for the same price or less.

I have one and have been pretty happy with it. It's a Platinum version of the GMC 1250 Watt model. Seems to be much better build quality than normal GMC. The 50 bits are about a 50/50 split of 1/4" and 1/2" shank. Mostly straight bits of various sizes, pilot bits, a few dovetails, small Vs and Cove bits. No Ogee or Round overs. Bit quality is comparable with Ultra bits..

If you're interested in a Fixed base router Bunnies have a 1450W on sale for $39. Perfect for a Router table with 2 Years life.

Here is Piccie..