PDA

View Full Version : help needed with fixing smal glitches

alwyn
16th March 2009, 02:30 PM
Hi Guys,
I need some advice on how to fix an inlay that I am doing on a coffee table.
The inlay is redgum and the table top is European Beech. The problem I am having is in fixing small flaws. See the photo’s for examples Any fix I make leaves a brown mark around the edge of the repair. I have tried mixing wood dust with glue but this doesn’t seem to help. The glue I am using is titebond II ( the yellow glue) but I have also tried Selleys PVA with similar results. How do you inlayers get such perfect joins??
Alwyn

toolbagsPLUS
16th March 2009, 06:34 PM
[/FONT]
Alwyn

Without sounding a smart ????, Practice and many mistakes.

By the look of it, it appears that you are not using a very sharp knife or you are cutting to deep to soon.

One trick of a clean cut is to stroke the blade over and over on the cut slicing through it instead of cutting and tearing in one go.

On a repair, cut the repair patch, then tape it over the area to be repaired and slice around the patch shape until you have cut to the depth of the piece to be replaced.

Over the years it has been my experience that using PVA's is hard work when it come to veneer work Hide glue is much easier to clean off and flip bits a veneer out of because it dries hard and sandable.

Sorry not much help, but some I hope.

Cheers

Love the table by the way.:2tsup:

Steve

alwyn
17th March 2009, 10:31 AM
this inlay is about 4mm deep. any veneer to fix holes as in the last picture has to be made from offcuts of solid timber. where do you get your hide glue from? I have been wondering if I should be using epoxy for this?

Alwyn

toolbagsPLUS
18th March 2009, 08:53 AM
Hide Glue I buy in in bulk but u-beaut sell it in small lots. Epoxy will work but once it's in it's in. Not sure how it would take a finish though? Possibly someone else could help you with that one. Regarding cutting the veneers the method described would take some time on 4mm timber. The veneer I use is only .7mm. Hey we're all still learning. :2tsup:

Cheers

Steve

alwyn
18th March 2009, 05:12 PM
So if I mix wood dust with hide glue will it come out the same colour as the wood or darker? I would like to dig out some of the dark glue lines and replace it with a lighter colour preferably the same as the wood.
thanks for your comments
Alwyn

toolbagsPLUS
20th March 2009, 10:37 AM
The hide glue is a caramel colour so on dark timbers it should not be so pronounced but will definitely show up on light colours.

Cheers

Steve

toolbagsPLUS
20th March 2009, 01:22 PM
The hide glue is a caramel colour so on dark timbers it should not be so pronounced but will definitely show up on light colours.

Cheers

Steve