PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone completed

Darrell
1st June 2004, 10:59 PM
I have just completed building a mini cyclone dust extractor.I would to thank Wayne Davies and others for their tips on this project
I now have a mini cyclone that operates at 100% and all this for $30.One of the best and cheapest tools in my workshop

WELL DONE LADS

Wayne Davy
1st June 2004, 11:19 PM
Darrell,

Well Done!! Post up a pic of the beast and you can get your GRUD certificate :D

Darrell
1st June 2004, 11:26 PM
That should read Wayne Davy and others. Sorry Wayne

Darrell
1st June 2004, 11:39 PM
Wayne

Sorry unlike the men who built the Six Million Dollar Man I do not have the technology

GregLee
2nd June 2004, 12:56 AM
I need to build me one of them mini cyclones. Who has a good set of plans for the $30 version.

Wayne Davy
2nd June 2004, 07:45 AM
Greg,

Try my website at http://members.optusnet.com.au/waynedavy/

Cheers,

Wayne Davy
2nd June 2004, 09:36 PM
Sorry unlike the men who built the Six Million Dollar Man I do not have the technology
Darrell,

Mate, just post up a bit about how you built it (materials, rough sizes, etc.) and I think a GRUD membership will pop your way :D

Cheers,

Darrell
3rd June 2004, 12:05 AM
GregLee
I did not have a real plan on paper I just tired a few different things as I went along and bingo it worked
My cyclone was made from a 25lt pvc bucket and a 60lt streel drum which were free from work a 220mm funnel $3 from Super Cheap,5 pvc flangers [40mm id] $12,400x400x25mm ply $10 which was turned on the lathe to make a 355mmx220mm flange to suit the bucket and funnel,nuts and bolts $5 and a broom stick.

himzol
3rd June 2004, 10:39 AM
Darrell

and a broom stick.

I can understand where everything else fits into the plan but the broomstick. :confused:

Himzo.

outback
3rd June 2004, 11:35 AM
A big greenie for Darrell, well done, and may the dust not be with you :D :D

ozwinner
3rd June 2004, 05:50 PM
Darrell

I can understand where everything else fits into the plan but the broomstick. :confused:

Himzo.
Its so he can brush the workshop handsfree as he works.

Al

Bunyip
3rd June 2004, 06:48 PM
Its so he can brush the workshop handsfree as he works.

Al

Don't be silly Al - it's so he can make the dust fly away :D

Wayne Davy
4th June 2004, 04:32 PM
Darrell,

Here is your GRUD (Get Rid Ugly Dust) Club Certificate - welcome to the club!!

(A large version will be available for download tonight.)

Cheers,

ozwinner
4th June 2004, 04:39 PM
Hey Wayne, you havent got a HTS certificate have you, I just wondered seeing as how you wondered if Im limp wristed, which I am today, hard day at the salt mine.

Al :D

Wayne Davy
4th June 2004, 04:50 PM
NOPE!!!! :p

ozwinner
4th June 2004, 04:58 PM
I love this site.............

http://mindscraps.com/s/contrib/geno/rofl.gif

Al

Wayne Davy
4th June 2004, 05:13 PM
Me too!!
http://www.gamers-forums.com/vb/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Wayne Davy
5th June 2004, 01:00 AM
Darrell,

You can download your full size GRUD certificate from here
http://members.optusnet.com.au/waynedavy/FunPics/GRUDMembershipCerificate-Darrell.jpg

Darrell
6th June 2004, 08:11 AM
Wayne

Thanks for the certifate Wayne.I will print and frame it and hang next to my picture of John Howard in my wooodshop.

Regards Darrrell

troutface
11th June 2004, 08:53 PM
Hey! I think I made a cyclonic vacuum by accident! I tried a conventional vacuum cleaner (I hear you laugh.....) which (wait for it) kept clogging up the small bag. In frustration I went out and bought a large plastic feedlot drum app 200lt for $20 from a pet shop, some 40mm pvc pipe and fittings, a set of circle cutters and some flexible 20mm water pipe. A bit of trial and error then got it right.
The drum was placed outside the shed. It has a large plastic lid which sits on top of the rim on the drum. I eventually cut a hole in the centre of the lid to connect to an old vacuum a mate gave me. The vacuum sucked the lid onto the drum and formed a very good seal.
Another hole was cut on the edge of the lid to accommodate the (inlet) pipe from the machines/workshop. I put an elbow on that pipe to direct the flow of dust at an angle against the inside of the drum. Centrifugal force and gravity drove dust to the bottom and kept all but the finest dust away from the centred (outlet) pipe leading to the vacuum.
In the workshop, I ran 40mm pvc pipe from the drum through the centre of the shed on the ceiling and fitted a couple of 20mm outlets to take the flex. I now just connect the flex for each machine (triton work centre and a router bench) and plug the unused one. I also found use for the vacuum wand by attaching it to more flex which I can plug straight into an outlet and vacuum all over my 5m X 5m shed!
After two months of heavy work, I checked the bag and got a minute amount of very fine dust. The drum has about 30-40 lt of sawdust/fine shavings in the bottom (plus the odd carelessly placed drill bit!)
20mm flex is a bit small and can clog when trying to vacuum plane shavings, so I would like to find some at about 30mm. Best to keep it under the 40mm pvc because trying to unclog the solid pvc could be a hassle. I just bang the flex to loosen. I actually enjoy cleaning up because it so easy.
Do I get a GRUD, huh? huh?

Wayne Davy
11th June 2004, 09:19 PM
Hmmmm... Can you do a pic?? Sounds alright for a Jnr. GRUD though :D

Wayne Davy
11th June 2004, 09:21 PM
I will print and frame it and hang next to my picture of John Howard in my wooodshop.
Darrell,

Does that mean it will get hit by the Darts that miss Johnny??? ;)