PDA

View Full Version : saws

plastic
17th March 2009, 06:31 PM
What is better for cutting gears for a wooden clock.Sroll saw or small band saw.Im new to this clock making

orraloon
18th March 2009, 10:49 AM
A scroll saw. It can do inside and outside cuts.
I am halfways through a kit clock at the moment. Finding it a bit tedious though. I just dont have the patience for that kind of work. One of these projectswhere I do a little bit now and then as the mood takes.

starr
24th March 2009, 01:29 PM
I think a bandsaw is better for the outside teeth. There is a video on Youtube which shows someone cutting them on a bandsaw - he makes a lot of the clocks designed by Clayton Boyer.

plastic
31st March 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for that info fellas.I only what to buy one saw.What are the Ryobe 100mm band saw ones like.

artme
10th April 2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for that info fellas.I only what to buy one saw.What are the Ryobe 100mm band saw ones like.

Good question. A mate has one and did a demo cut for me with it on a block of pine. Cut like a dream. The better the blade, the better the cut too.

binarycortex
14th April 2009, 05:41 AM
I think a bandsaw is better for the outside teeth. There is a video on Youtube which shows someone cutting them on a bandsaw - he makes a lot of the clocks designed by Clayton Boyer.

His name is Adrian Iredale http://www.youtube.com/user/adrianiredale.

Ian