PDA

View Full Version : Rust in my Rolla

burraboy
17th March 2009, 08:11 PM
I've got a '77 KE30 and it's starting to show a bit of rust around the rear wheel arches and in the spare tyre tray. I can't afford to have it repaired by having the metal cut out and replaced, so are there any suggestions on products for rust conversion and bog?

blackhole
17th March 2009, 09:24 PM
Paint the rust converter on the rusty areas at least it will slow things down and buy you some more time. A tin of bog and a roll of coloured race tape cost about the same amount. One method requires sanding and painting. Cardboard or masonite to stop things falling out the boot. Total cost around $25. If you do go the bog route, then chicken wire rolled up to fill the holes guards and build your bog onto that. When sanding bog start with a file.

Horsecroft88
20th March 2009, 12:45 PM
As a car enthusiast, and especially all things Italian, I have an intimate knowledge of the dreaded tin worm :((. Hence, while not having a clue what a '77 KE30 is, I am assuming some sort of ute.

I have a complete aversion for filling in rusted areas with Bog, bondo, or whatever else you wish to call it. Rust repairs even for novices are really not that difficult if you have access to a mig. Adult ed run courses for novices in welding and thereafter even if you dont have access to such equipment most plant hire shops rent migs and spray painting equipment out.

A proper fix is always going to be far better than some 1/2 done quick tempory fix. Besides if you don't cut out all rusty metal, treat any minor pitting with rust converter and then paint the surfaces with POR15 before replacing with new metal rather than bog, chicken wire, newspaper etc, you will never cure the problem and it will simply re-surface but in an expanded area. Your choice obviously but a real repair is the best option. Dave

Tankstand
20th March 2009, 03:29 PM
Hence, while not having a clue what a '77 KE30 is, I am assuming some sort of ute.
:D Mate! its a Toyota Corolla!

I had a '76 KE30 that looked after my family for 19 fault free years, great little car.

Ours had a fair bit of cancer in the same places, we had it cut out and bogged before a respray.

Horsecroft88
20th March 2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Tankstand, not having ever owned anything but Fiats and Alfa Romeos, and only being interested in european cars, I know nothing about Toyotas :D.

I am in the middle of a major restoration of what once was an extremely rusty '69 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super (sedan), and the only way to fix this car, given its collectability was to do it the correct way. To have bogged it would have been pointless and a waste of my money. Its a keeper for sure but will have consumed vast sums of $$ and hard work once finished. Most definitely though not a money making venture.

burraboy
21st March 2009, 06:45 AM
thanks fellers,
no mig, little cash, looks like it's phosphoric acid, bronze flywire and plastibond.

Horsecroft88
21st March 2009, 10:07 PM
Burraboy, if you can't afford to hire a mig nor have a mat who can either do the welding for you or at least lend you one, which is fair enough in these tough times, do yourself a huge favour and at least get some POR15, if you paint this on after using the rust converter it should at least stop the rust comming back for some considerable time. Believe me it is the ducks guts and should be both readily available nor too expensive. Dave