PDA

View Full Version : removing burnish ring

Daddy3x
18th March 2009, 01:55 PM
Just finished a piece of mesquite my dad found, my first bowl with some voids in it. Sanded it through the best I could. I am very pleased with the wall eveness, probably my best yet. I removed it from the waste block and reversed it and got a slip even using a very sharp tool and lower speeds. I took it off and found a burnish ring.

So...can it be removed? I have considered re-gluing it down just to resand the interior lightly, looking for any options. Even if it is beyond fixing, I am kind of proud of this one. Yes...pics will follow. Much appreciated.
Scott

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Had you already applied a finish, or was it the raw timber that burnished?

Not much advice can be offered until we see pix... I assume it's bad enough that a light hand-sanding won't remove it?

RETIRED
18th March 2009, 06:59 PM
Is it burnished or burnt?

Ed Reiss
19th March 2009, 04:39 AM
Scott, not quite sure what you mean by a burnish ring (a gouge or scraper shouldn't do that).

An answer to your question will definitely be easier with the pics.

hughie
19th March 2009, 10:25 AM
. I removed it from the waste block and reversed it and got a slip even using a very sharp tool and lower speeds. I took it off and found a burnish ring.

Sounds like it slipped in the jaws, hand finishing would the be the go here I suspect...time and patience .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th March 2009, 06:26 PM
:yes:

Unless it has charred, (rather more than a "bit" of a slip :wink:) in which case remounting/returning would probably be the quicker solution.