PDA

View Full Version : Sanding the teeth Grrrrr

lonesomebob
19th March 2009, 12:03 AM
Has anyone come up with a really neat way to sand the teeth and inside holes in wood clock gears? So far my dermel with a metal cutting burr works ok but hard to control. Bob:cool:

nine fingers
19th March 2009, 12:59 PM
Has anyone come up with a really neat way to sand the teeth and inside holes in wood clock gears? So far my dermel with a metal cutting burr works ok but hard to control. Bob:cool:

Bob, for sanding the teeth I made a stroke sanding adaption to fit the scroll saw. Sanding inside holes on wheels I use the Dremel with rotary sanding drums. cheers nine fingers

lonesomebob
20th March 2009, 03:18 AM
Thank you Mr Ninefingers. You are a savior, I took the Saw turned it upside down in the vise, Grabbed some small flat files , ground the tang so it would grip in the saw clamp, lined the file up 90 to the saw base and turned it on, retrieved the file and re shaped the tang, one more time and it works like a charm. A flat ,square ,round and safe file to use the edge for the bottoms .of the gullets. Please use glasses ,as the file still tends to jump out, and a mask for the dust. Now to make a real machine out of it with top stand and all. Files are cheap and can be ground to any shape. Have fun Bob:doh::2tsup: I posted here for anyone else that is wondering.B

starr
24th March 2009, 01:27 PM
I saw someone hook up a small file to a scroll saw (on Youtube). I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a good method.

Look up wooden clocks and you should be able to view several such videos.

lonesomebob
24th March 2009, 10:15 PM
Star ; It works just fine, only problem is making a holder for files, but got that whipped now too. thanks for your input. Bob