PDA

View Full Version : Getting a nice finish when applying silicon

harrisonness
4th June 2004, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if there were any 'tricks of the trade' when it comes to getting a nice finish when applying silicon along the edges between the benchtop and splashback - and around baths where they sit on the hob.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Scooterscum
4th June 2004, 03:54 PM
Gidday
Use a strong mix of dishwashing liquid (and water) in a spray bottle.
Apply a bead of silicon first (as neatly as you can!) then spray it with the mixture. Spray some on your finger as well. Then simply run your finger along the bead.
Hope this helps
Regards
Simon

rsser
4th June 2004, 05:12 PM
Use the minimum of the goo; push forward and down into the crack, and keep your movements smooth, using your body to move not just your arms. The fewer lumps and grooves you have the less foothold there'll be for fungus :)

Ern

bitingmidge
4th June 2004, 05:33 PM
The above is exactly the right advice, and if you have done about 3 kilometres you'll get it right every time.

If you are twice as good as I used to be it will be of little help though, 'cos your detergent dipped finger will soon have a big blob on it, and you'll be wiping it on your daks, then your missus............ :eek:

If you have only one job to do and a bit of patience, try it my girly way:
(Find somewhere to practice before you do it for real): It is a bit more work, but should save you from the ultra thin smear of silicon over each side of the joint

1) Mask each side of the join for the width of the joint.

2) Apply silicon and finger as outlined above.

3) Remove masking tape, pulling slightly across the join so that any dags fall back across the silicon.

4) Go back with your detergent dipped digit for one last light pass.

5) Use whatever solvent is necessary to remove all the silicone from fridge, furniture, handbasin and carpet, even rooms you haven't been into for a year, before it goes off!

This also works extremely well with epoxy fillets for those like me who are well lets face it: INEPT at handling gooey stuff!

Cheers,

P

rsser
4th June 2004, 05:47 PM
Good points P.
Reminded me that silicone will travel randomly in any direction from the point of application, esp. where fingers are involved ;)
Ern

Jacksin
5th June 2004, 02:35 PM
I watched a tiler do it effortlessly and have tried his method and it works.

Similar to what Simon said, but use one of those small wooden sticks (that come in the centre of icecreams) to smooth it off. The stick has a rounded end and its easy to see how much sealer you are collecting so you can stop and scrape off the excess. The soapy solution need not be any stronger than you would normally use to do the dishes.
Jack ;)

Bunyip
5th June 2004, 05:27 PM
... If you have only one job to do and a bit of patience, try it my girly way:
(Find somewhere to practice before you do it for real): It is a bit more work, but should save you from the ultra thin smear of silicon over each side of the joint ...

Gotta disagree with you on one point - there is nothing girly about this way!

We used this method to apply silicone to huge custom glass aquariums. It is a guaranteed way to get a really slick finish :)

Try telling the glaziers they were girls, they'd silicone the tank closed with you in it ... :eek:

fencepost
6th June 2004, 11:15 AM
I read somewhere that you can use an icecube. Use the heat of your hand to mold it to a rounded shape then run it along the bead. Never tried it but it sounds promising!

glenn k
6th June 2004, 07:25 PM
I watched a fella put our shower screen in. He used metho in a spay bottle and his finger. Works well put on what you need then spray and it will not stick to the area where the metho is. I suppose detergent would lower the waters surface tension to make it as useful.

ozwinner
6th June 2004, 07:34 PM
I read somewhere that you can use an icecube. Use the heat of your hand to mold it to a rounded shape then run it along the bead. Never tried it but it sounds promising!
Oooohhh babe, grrrr !! http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/xerx/MODhappyslk.gif

Allana :o

harrisonness
7th June 2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks to one and all for your replies. Loads of good advice here.

I wish I had discovered these forums before I did the bathroom - I got a good silicon job in the end but it took some faffing around...this time things should be a lot easier with all these tricks.

Thanks again.

Gary

seriph1
8th June 2004, 08:30 PM
did anyone mention wearing disposable gloves?

:D

silentC
8th June 2004, 10:48 PM
I used to install showerscreens for a living. Always just used my finger. When you're laying the bead, don't put too much on the job because you'll have heaps left over when you get to the end. Start the bead a bit thicker and then taper off as you get to the end, then what you drag along with your finger will fill the gaps.

Some people used to wet their finger. I never bothered - silicon doesn't taste too good.

Keep a metho-soaked rag handy. Wipe your finger on it to get rid of the surplus and you can use a clean corner of it to clean up the job.

You get the best result if you don't put too thick a bead on to begin with.