PDA

View Full Version : Rout-A-Circle

Groggy
14th March 2009, 02:23 PM
There are many ways to rout circles, most of us have used various jigs and offcuts to achieve our goals. The Triton router base even includes a nifty circle cutting jig! (see pics 14 & 15).

I recently came across an Australian owned and manufactured circle jig that cost under $30, and, like all the best jigs, was very simple and strong. Called the Rout-A-Circle it is designed and manufactured in Williamstown in Melbourne by Get Woodworking's proprietor Roy Green.

The jig is a simple metal bar (3mm x 25mm x 1185mm) with small holes drilled at regular 50mm intervals. It has been professionally powder coated yellow so is easily seen and it has different attachment points at either end to give greater flexibility for different routers.

Pics 1 & 2 show the package as purchased.
Pics 3-6 shows the installation to a Makita 3600BR router. Fine adjustments are made by moving the router's fence in or out.
Pics 7-9 demonstrates the jig in action, a nice smooth circle results,
Pics 10-12 shows installation to a Triton MOF001 1400w router.
Pic 13 demonstrates the jig in action with the Triton.
Pics 14 & 15 demonstrate the built-in circle jig in the Triton. Once again, fine adjustments can be made by the butterfly nut attachment to the guide plate.

This jig does not require a detailed step-by-step review. Suffice to say it is simple, strong enough not to flex laterally and works well. It is easily adaptable to most popular routers. It takes up less space than most wooden jigs and can be hung out of the way when not in use.

(Note: The review jig was provided to the reviewer free of charge.)

Get Woodworking (03) 9399 1963

Wooden Mechanic
14th March 2009, 10:28 PM
Seems like a lot of money for a piece of flat steel?

Good review though. :2tsup:

Harlan

Wood Borer
14th March 2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the review Groggy.:2tsup:

Ben from Vic.
15th March 2009, 08:35 AM
Looks like a helpful little product Groggy. What would you do if you couldn't drill a hole in the middle of your work?

Rattrap
15th March 2009, 09:24 AM
Looks like a helpful little product Groggy. What would you do if you couldn't drill a hole in the middle of your work?
Thats a very good question, sometimes you want a routed circle without any holes or blemishes in the new circle piece.

The Big O
15th March 2009, 10:38 AM
I agree $30 seems a lot for a jig that still takes time to mount. I use a piece of 2x1 pine with a hole drilled near one end to drop the standard Makita template guide in, and nail holes at required intervals to set the radius.
But then again, I paid $80 for a set of tyre deflaters for my 4wd, when a matchstick does the same job.
The cost of boy's toys is therefore irrelevant.

Woodwould
15th March 2009, 10:51 AM
To route a circle with no centre hole you could first route a circle (the radius of your router's base and less the radius of the bit you're using) in a piece of scrap and then use the interior of that circle to route the circle in the work piece.

Groggy
15th March 2009, 11:30 AM
To rout a circle with no center hole:

Get a piece of scrap and attach it with double sided tape to the center of the work.
attach the jig to the scrap, continue as normal.

Note: don't forget the unit is always attached to the reverse of the face side, so for most work it won't matter..

Cost
Why by a thicknesser if you own hand planes? Why spend a fortune on a tablesaw if you have a handsaw or circular saw? :shrug:

Like everything else, cost can be debated and is for each individual to decide. Personally, I like the fact the steel unit takes up minimal space, a key issue in my small workspace.

Groggy
15th March 2009, 11:41 AM
Seems like a lot of money for a piece of flat steel

to continue the sentence....

"that is cut, accurately drilled, bent, cleaned, powder coated, packaged and provided with instructions." :wink:

These things are not yet mass produced in China you know :U

Wooden Mechanic
15th March 2009, 06:48 PM

"that is cut, accurately drilled, bent, cleaned, powder coated, packaged and provided with instructions." :wink:

Ahhh, tooshay my friend!

Harlan

Rookie
16th March 2009, 04:12 PM

These things are not yet mass produced in China you know

Agree. If you want to make one, go ahead. We buy lots of things we could probably make ourselves, but we don't. We buy them because it's convenient, and someone else has gone to all the trouble.

Nice jig. Presumably Groggy we call thenumber supplied for orders? Meanwhile I'll search for a web site.

Groggy
16th March 2009, 04:29 PM
Yes, the number given is for the store, he doesn't have a website.

chrapladm
19th September 2010, 09:24 PM
I know this thread is old but it would be a great help if this will solve my circle jig wants.

What is the minimum size circle you can cut diameter wise?

And who do I call to order one?

And lastly do you think it will fit a Ryobi 1200 watts Bunnings special?