PDA

View Full Version : Finally! S&P Shakers

efgee88
22nd March 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi All,
I finally finished the Salt & Pepper Shakers - they are destined for my bro who supplied the timber (a bit of mouldy walnut branch left in his garden for a considerable time and which suddenly became somewhat sentimental when the tree died!).
I used Crushgrind mechanisms and they do seem to require a bit of thought and patience to get them to fit well.
Also getting two pieces looking the same is a bit of a challenge.
Anyway, here they are.

Cheers,

FrankG

artme
22nd March 2009, 06:51 PM
Nice work mate!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Looks like Russell Hobbs had almost single handedly destroyed the art of making these items. After all, his are battery driven and have a light!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mrs Woodpecker
22nd March 2009, 06:53 PM
Very nice. I much prefer hand made to Russell Hobbs. :2tsup:
Regards,
Shirley

wolften
22nd March 2009, 06:57 PM
...they look great FrankG...would look great at my table

Sawdust Maker
22nd March 2009, 07:25 PM
Nice work
like the shape and the spalting sets them off

ElizaLeahy
22nd March 2009, 07:25 PM
Very lovely shape and the timber is to die for!

You did a good job on making them look alike - while the timber makes them look different enough so you won't mix up which is which!

Love the photography, with the hands modeling. :)

dai sensei
22nd March 2009, 07:42 PM
Nice work
like the shape and the spalting sets them off

:whs:

orraloon
22nd March 2009, 08:06 PM
I quite like them. Top job.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd March 2009, 08:13 PM
:wts:

For some reason I've always preferred the classic "pawn" shape for S&P shakers and these are just close enough to appease my taste while being different enough to be... well... different. :)

Good job!

RETIRED
22nd March 2009, 08:58 PM
Very lovely shape and the timber is to die for!

You did a good job on making them look alike - while the timber makes them look different enough so you won't mix up which is which!

Love the photography, with the hands modeling. :)The light and dark ring might make it easier.:D

WoodJunky
22nd March 2009, 09:39 PM
I agree with all the comments

:2tsup: You have done a great job :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
22nd March 2009, 09:48 PM
Nice job and the shape is a winner :2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
23rd March 2009, 08:30 AM
Great work, :2tsup: Your Bro should be pleased with them, I would be.

Rum Pig
23rd March 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi All,
I finally finished the Salt & Pepper Shakers - they are destined for my bro who supplied the timber (a bit of mouldy walnut branch left in his garden for a considerable time and which suddenly became somewhat sentimental when the tree died!).
I used Crushgrind mechanisms and they do seem to require a bit of thought and patience to get them to fit well.
Also getting two pieces looking the same is a bit of a challenge.
Anyway, here they are.

Cheers,

FrankG

Looks like you should be getting more timber:D:2tsup:

Nice looking shakers your bro should be proud:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
23rd March 2009, 11:46 AM
Nice work with the crushgrind mechanisms.

Maybe have a darker contrast with the timbers for the rings . Or maybe my eyes are not picking up the differance .

Is that shape similar to Brendan Stemps in this months Australian Woodworker just a shorter version.

Ed Reiss
23rd March 2009, 12:12 PM
....geez, couldn't you have gotten a female to do the modeling??:doh:

Nice turnings Frank...I think your brother will be pleased:2tsup:

efgee88
23rd March 2009, 02:23 PM
Nice work with the crushgrind mechanisms.

Maybe have a darker contrast with the timbers for the rings . Or maybe my eyes are not picking up the differance .

Is that shape similar to Brendan Stemps in this months Australian Woodworker just a shorter version.

Hi Jim,

If it is, it's pure coincidence as I have not sighted the mag you mention. I designed the shakers on my PC using CorelDraw, which is what I've done for my last few efforts. Especially for this project I made some dimensioned drawings since otherwise I would probably make half the holes the wrong size!

I must have a look at the magazine you mentioned - I'm intrigued now. Maybe a case of great minds think alike??

Cheers, FrankG.

efgee88
23rd March 2009, 02:31 PM

Nice turnings Frank...I think your brother will be pleased:2tsup:

Ed,

Get that paw out of your maw! Those are the delicate hands of my good lady wife. She's just spent some considerable time doing the gardening, though.

How am I going to explain this now - I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight (again!) .....thanks Ed!

Cheers,

FrankG

wolften
23rd March 2009, 02:38 PM
..again, they look superb. I wouldn't mind a set with a coffee grinder thrown in for a
manage de trois:D

Glenn

RETIRED
23rd March 2009, 02:55 PM

Nice turnings Frank...I think your brother will be pleased:2tsup:How long does it take to get both feet out Ed?:D

ElizaLeahy
23rd March 2009, 03:08 PM
heehee

:D:D:D

efgee88
23rd March 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks fo all your comments everyone (even Ed!).

Cheers,

FrankG

brendan stemp
23rd March 2009, 08:10 PM
http://brendanstemp.com.au/grinders.html

Gday Frank it must be a case of great minds (or one great mind and mine). Have a look at link to see how similar the designs are.

efgee88
23rd March 2009, 09:46 PM
http://brendanstemp.com.au/grinders.html

Gday Frank it must be a case of great minds (or one great mind and mine). Have a look at link to see how similar the designs are.

Hi Brendan,
That's amazing - it is similar.
My original design didn't have the flared collar on the base, but when I was removing the waste I ended up with a bit of a collar and I liked the look of it. It also felt right and very comfortable to hold so I incorporated it into the design. The other change I made to my original drawings was the top. It originally didn't have the small step in it, and was almost the same profile as your top design.
The collars you can see on my design actually extends about 10mm into the top (and is glued in) and extends 15mm into the base. I did that for 2 reasons - firstly, the spalted walnut was quite soft and I was concerned the lip on the top section might break off over time and secondly, since I have only just started woodturning I was not confident to undercut the inside to prevent the top part of the Crushgrind mechanism pulling out. I was brave enough on the base to undercut the inside with a little tool I made up out of a piece of jigsaw blade.
Here is a copy of the drawing.

I'm very impressed with your pieces and your website too. It shows I've got a looooong way to go. Perhaps I should come and visit the YouTurn event and learn a few things from the experts.

Cheers,

FrankG

Ed Reiss
24th March 2009, 12:53 PM
How long does it take to get both feet out Ed?:D

A hell of a lot longer than it took to insert them!!!!!:B:B:B:doh:

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 12:54 PM
:D I have the same problem sometimes.

Ed Reiss
24th March 2009, 12:59 PM
Ed,

Get that paw out of your maw! Those are the delicate hands of my good lady wife. She's just spent some considerable time doing the gardening, though.

How am I going to explain this now - I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight (again!) .....thanks Ed!

Cheers,

FrankG

We can fix this...see, it's the gardening that does a number...now just take her hands, get some nice scented lotion, and caress them for a couple of hours....break out the champagne, tell her just how lovely she is and offer to take her on a moonlight cruise......guaranteed you wont have to sleep on the couch:2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
24th March 2009, 01:21 PM
We can fix this...see, it's the gardening that does a number...now just take her hands, get some nice scented lotion, and caress them for a couple of hours....break out the champagne, tell her just how lovely she is and offer to take her on a moonlight cruise......guaranteed you wont have to sleep on the couch:2tsup:

Ed, As you say ¨We can fix this¨ it seems that it should be you doing the caressing of the hand cream etc, so that Frank doesn't have to sleep on the couch:D:D

By the way how far is it from New Jersey to Box Hill?:oo:

Boy its great that this time it wasn't me with the size 9 in my gob!:U usually is!!

Grumpy John
24th March 2009, 01:32 PM
Luverly S&P grinders Frank. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" that design. I only hope I can do justice to them.

efgee88
24th March 2009, 05:36 PM

Too late Ed,
I have a cricked neck and furrballs down my throat!

Also, I've lost my model for the next project - I'll just have to put a cup in the picture or something similar for size reference.

Oh well, we'll all live to turn another day!

Cheers,

FrankG.

efgee88
24th March 2009, 05:42 PM
Luverly S&P grinders Frank. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" that design. I only hope I can do justice to them.

No Problem, Grumpy - I'm sure you'll do a better job than me in a fraction of the time.

Cheers,

FrankG

efgee88
24th March 2009, 05:51 PM
Ed, As you say ¨We can fix this¨ it seems that it should be you doing the caressing of the hand cream etc, so that Frank doesn't have to sleep on the couch:D:D

Boy its great that this time it wasn't me with the size 9 in my gob!:U usually is!!

Steady on Wayne,
I'll be the one doing all the carressing of said wife, thank you very much!
BTW New Jersey to Box Hill = approx 16,700 km / 10,400 miles

Cheers,
FrankG

Ed Reiss
25th March 2009, 01:03 AM

What the hell Wayne....tryin' to get me killed or sumptin' !!!!!!!!:o:q:D

Too late Ed,
I have a cricked neck and furrballs down my throat!

Also, I've lost my model for the next project - I'll just have to put a cup in the picture or something similar for size reference.

Oh well, we'll all live to turn another day!

Cheers,

FrankG.

Oh man...sorry 'bout the cricked neck thing and my abject apologies to the lovely wife, the furrballs might be an easier thing to take care of....get rid of the cat.:U

Steady on Wayne,
I'll be the one doing all the carressing of said wife, thank you very much!
BTW New Jersey to Box Hill = approx 16,700 km / 10,400 miles

Cheers,
FrankG

...you tell him Frank, he's tryin' to get me killed or sumptin' !!!!!:russian:

The next time your in my vicinity stop in and the LOML and I will take you out to dinner to make up for my royal goof-up.:D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2009, 09:36 PM
Someone mentioned a coffee grinder to match
anyone know where to get the mechanism for one?

I'll stay right away from the modelling issue

wolften
7th June 2009, 04:47 PM
...still interested in an old style hand cranked coffee grinder and S&P grinders, if anyone is willing to undertake said project. More than willing to send greenies, bluey's, redy's hugs hand shakes:roll:
I don't have a lathe and can't see myself getting one in the near future, so I can't experiment otherwise I would.
Any takers???

Cheers

Glenn