PDA

View Full Version : Help in finishing pine slab

mick0
23rd March 2009, 09:51 PM
I need some help in the final finish on my pine cofee table. I have constructed it from 6 foot long pine slab with the bark still intact down one side. I have spent probably 30hrs on it and im very happy with the results. My procedure so far has been, 2 coats of sanding sealer, jarrah stain, and i'm about to put on my 3rd coat of marine satin varnish (all done with spray gun). I need to remove any imperfections from the varnish (grit etc) i think a 1200grit paper will leave me with sanding marks so can someone please suggest a simple polish method, ive searched and the eee cut sounds good but should i use a polish after it as well?

ian
23rd March 2009, 10:05 PM
Welcome

I think you will find that 320 or 400 sterated paper will be fine enough for cutting back under the 3rd coat.
the 3rd coat of finish should flow into any scratches.

If you want a high polish on the final coat, leave it for a few days and then rub it down with wet and dry working through the grits from about 400 to 1200 or 1500 (use soapy water as a lubricant) and then use the polish
You can do the rubbing back dry if you have a small orbit (3mm or less) ROS with dust colelction

ian

mick0
24th March 2009, 08:28 PM
sounds easy enough. Any recommendations on brand/type of polish?, something i can get from bunnings. Will polishing by hand be enough to buff out the sanding marks and give me a good finish, i'd rather not buy another powertool the sheds full enough as it is.

orraloon
25th March 2009, 05:45 PM
There are polishing pads to fit electric drills that wont break the bank. But hand buffing is good for the soul.

mick0
25th March 2009, 09:03 PM
i will have a look at bunnings on friday, any recommendations on polish?

mick0
7th April 2009, 09:38 AM
Done, used a carnuaba wax

rotten_66
7th April 2009, 09:44 AM
Nice.

Can I have it??:roll:

No harm in asking.