PDA

View Full Version : Parting tool used as coring tool

Tiger
23rd March 2009, 10:13 PM
Looking at using a parting tool to core out the centre of a wooden bracelet. Can't find out much on the net on the technique of using the parting tool in this manner. For those that have done this, is the parting tool ground differently or is it just jammed in as is and the tool cuts like a scraper?

eisbaer
23rd March 2009, 10:24 PM
i think there was an article about this in woodturners magazine a few issues back. From memory you go in about half way, then reverse the piece, using the groove you've cut as something for the jaws of the chuck to grip. Use expansion for this so that when you cut in from the other side the thing doesn't go flying off. When the cut meets in the middle it may be a bit off but you could carefully even out any ridge between the 2 cuts using a scraper very gently. Hope this makes sense. :)

Tiger
24th March 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Eisbaer,

Thanks for that. Do you just aim the tip of the parting tool at the workpiece at cut with that or does it need to go in at an angle. Tried going in with the point directly but didn't cut much.

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 12:09 PM
You can do it with a parting tool but it not the best tool for doing it. The shape is wrong.

Because of its width it tries to move in towards the centre and generally burns the timber or worse still cracks the bracelet.

A better tool has to be custom made and I will try to describe it as I don't have pics.

I use a 10mm square parting tool, Cut it square on the end and round one quarter about 25mm back.

This gives the cut clearance and allows the tool to follow the curve.

Next you have to cut the other side to leave about a 3mm wide projection about the same length as the curve.

Grind the underneath so that it angles back from the top edge (like a scraper) to form the cutting edge.

Have the tool rest reasonably close and use like a scraper. Handle high.

Hope this makes sense.

Tiger
24th March 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks, . I have an image of your description of the tool but not 100% sure. Anyone have a photo/image of how the parting tool should be ground?

Ed Reiss
24th March 2009, 12:42 PM
Tiger, I'm working on a bracelet WIP currently...it should be ready for posting by the end of the week.

Like said, the parting tool needs to be modified.

thefixer
24th March 2009, 08:51 PM
G'day Tiger

I Get lots of orders for bracelets. I Bore the meat out of the middle with a forstner bit going beyond the width of the bracelet then I take the rest out with a hook tool and clean up with a scraper, sand and finish the inside. Turn the outside to the desired shape and part it off. Then I turn a tenon on the piece left in the chuck so the bracelet is a snug fit and sand and finish the outside. I usually use CA for the finish, same method as pen turners use, it seems more durable and doesn't soak up the body oils.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Shorty

Tiger
25th March 2009, 10:44 PM
Actually found that when I tried to use the parting tool as a corer that it struggled badly to start the cut but when it got a couple of mm in it worked well, did have to reverse the workpiece to get to the other side but overall wasn't too bad.