PDA

View Full Version : Glued Mortice.....Does it work well?

44Ronin
24th March 2009, 02:04 PM
Has anyone here used one form or another of a laminated mortice?

If so, is there anything to be aware of when producing them and using them in framework?

Here is my idea of a version....

EDIT = Wrong section.....supposed to be general woodwork....on the other hand...I wonder if you could turn the piece and still have a functional mortice

rod1949
24th March 2009, 02:08 PM
Interesting concept:rolleyes:... be interested to know your reasonings.

Rookie
24th March 2009, 02:18 PM
My opinions it would all be down to the glue strength, and as we've disussed many times, long grain to long grain glue joints can be stronger than the joined timbers themselves.

So I guess it should be as strong as any glued M&T joint.

I guess "for framework" means it would be hidden, because it could look pretty ugly.

44Ronin
24th March 2009, 07:48 PM
Interesting concept:rolleyes:... be interested to know your reasonings.

A quicker and more accurate way to knock out mortices on light and dark laminated alternating timbers since you would only need to chisel out a single line rather than digging out the whole shebang.

Also I don't have a mortiser nor attachment

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 11:39 PM
EDIT = Wrong section.....supposed to be general woodwork....on the other hand...I wonder if you could turn the piece and still have a functional mortice

:D For turning, it works well. Many turned items need the blanks to be built up to thickness ($$$ otherwise) and if you also need a mortise, it's good practise to include it at the same time.

I've also used 'em in piecework furniture (ie. built up from a lot of laminations... like breadboards on legs. :rolleyes:) and haven't discovered any problems. Except with glue creep, but that's a problem with any glue up, neh?

Rookie has the right of it: it's only as good as your glue. bad glue = problems, good glue = better strength than the wood!

brendan stemp
25th March 2009, 01:38 PM
I did the frame for a board room table using this method. Fantastic way to go. Strong joints. Use pva glue. I wish I knew how to insert a photo so I could show you a pic of it.