PDA

View Full Version : Q- Turn 09

Simomatra
24th March 2009, 05:47 PM
Please find detail of Q-Turn 09 below, if interested PM or email Jim (Woolclasser)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=16243

dai sensei
24th March 2009, 10:25 PM
Hard to read details, but I have PM'd Jim for details.

schaf
25th March 2009, 09:19 PM
I PM 'd Jim asking if day trippers are welcome.

munruben
25th March 2009, 09:23 PM
Hard to read details, but I have PM'd Jim for details.Download the pic and then magnify it in photo program and it can be read easily.

gawdelpus
25th March 2009, 10:26 PM
yep my old eyes need all the help they can get hehe, I saved as and then printed fit to page , its all clear now hehe, PM sent :)

dai sensei
17th June 2009, 10:15 PM
Dam, doc's recommendation, best to stay within 1 hour of one of his hospitals (I am impressed with him, rare for me and a doctor, and do want to stick with one I trust). So I'm afraid I won't be going :C.

I was so looking forward to it. Oh well, there will be next year :-

gawdelpus
19th June 2009, 10:44 AM
Bugger ! guess I will do my best to have "twice" as good a time hehe! one for me and one for you :)
Get well soon :D ! cheers ~ John

dai sensei
23rd June 2009, 07:00 PM
Ok, so how did it go, where are the photos

woolclasser
23rd June 2009, 07:57 PM
Mate, forty four people, thirty six lathes all going full time, everybody solving the problems of the world and really enjoying themselves, shavings knee deep in places. Unfortunately no camera batteries and not much time to use it anyway.
Jim

gawdelpus
23rd June 2009, 11:41 PM
Bugger they were a keen lot lot of sawdust makers,supposed to be start at 1 pm frid ,lunch till 2 ,never happened they were up and running by 10 am some of them hehe, Fine weather frid and sat, but busy busy busy, a few logs went flying from time to time ,most managed to avoid the line of fire though,one chap mounted a 12 inch block of something in his lathe then proceeded to trim it roughly level across the face with a chainsaw ,did a pretty good job of it as well.:). I managed to do about 10 pens and one keyring .In between eating chatting watching some real wood artists at work,and finally got someone to show me the finer arts of the infamous "skew chisel" I even managed a brown malley burl w/shop pencil from start to finish with just the skew ,a major step for me after about 12 months of pen turning .Some of the guys were working away till 10 at night and others were in at 3 am ,might have been the guys in my bunkhouse driven out by my (gentle) snoring hehe.The food was good and plentiful all in all a very worthwhile weekend , I had to pick up some bits of wood at Gowrie mountain so got away by about 10 am sunday , stopped to get directions at gowrie to find the guy I was looking for ,and the lady bought 3 w/shop pencils off me ,that was a bonus lol.I then picked up a few more bits of wood at Murphys creek ,dunno what I will do with it but it has potential :) Sorry no photos either my dam camera would not work , all in all well worth the trip and any one thinking of doing it next year ,doit :) Cheers ~ John

dai sensei
24th June 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback, can't wait for next year now :2tsup:

What was the wood your scored John? Did you buy it or pick up freebies locally?

I was intending to bring the chainsaw to do some trimming whilst in the area. What is available up that way?

gawdelpus
24th June 2009, 10:48 PM
Neil :~
Wood was gifted hehe.one of my customers at the cleveland markets offered me some wood if I was up his way,seemed the perfect oppertunity as he was at Gowrie mountain,a rough list of the goodies
budgeroo,silky oak,weeping myall, coolibah,mountain white gum,iron bark,Malaluka,jackaranda,hairy oak ,paper bark, more but not checked yet :) also got some nice pen sized blanks and a few offcuts of WA jarrah today, have to call in with your saw lol, sure I have enough to share. Cheers~ John :)

dai sensei
24th June 2009, 10:54 PM
That sounds like one hell of a hall :2tsup:

Welcome to come around. Not sure how much help I will be, not allowed to lift anything heavy for a few months, but the mchines work well :wink:.