PDA

View Full Version : Best Steel for Chisels.

Turnaround
25th March 2009, 10:27 AM
Hi All,
If seems like there's a lot of specialty chisels out there for wood turning that cost a fortune, would only be used a small percentage of the time and with a little care and a small amount of skill shouldn't be too hard to make. The only problem is getting the steel and choosing what type to use. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would be the best kind of steel (high speed (I think there's a bunch of different types of this..), high carbon, cast steel etc...) for making chisels for wood turning. I've been searching for some high speed steel in sydney, but haven't had any luck unfortunately...

Cheers!!

Alastair
25th March 2009, 11:29 AM
FWIW

I have done a bit of this over the years. For certain tools, it is completely feasible and relatively easy. eg Scrapers, parting tools, skew chisels, bedans.

However, for the gouges, where the profile of the tool and the flute can be critical, it becomes a lot more difficult and problematic.

Without going into the niceties of the varying types of HSS, the advantage is that due to the fact that it keeps its hardness at high temperatures, it will hold an edge longer when turning, and is also easier to sharpen at the grindstone, as it is not so susceptible to losing temper when overheated.
Disadvantages are that it will not yield AS sharp an edge as you can achieve with high carbon steel. Also, HC steel you can anneal and forge to shape, if you have the kit and skills, and than reharden and temper. HSS not.

Regarding sourcing, I have made a number of tools, using HSS blanks bought from McJing Tools in Yagoona. He does internet/mail order.

I used old CS tools for several years when I started, before gradually starting a collection of HSS ones.

regards

BobL
25th March 2009, 12:38 PM
Regarding sourcing, I have made a number of tools, using HSS blanks bought from McJing Tools in Yagoona. He does internet/mail order.

The McJing HHS is generally 300 mm or less in length so is suitable for smaller chisels like this
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=68877&d=1205062153

For larger/longer HSS pieces I buy from Carbatec.

rsser
25th March 2009, 01:13 PM
IIRC Gary Pye sells HSS 'blanks'; and common sizes will be available from any decent industrial supplies place.

FWIW I've had mixed results with McJing HSS.

For types of HSS check out the website of Crucible Steels.

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2009, 02:20 PM
Try Edcon they might sell HSS

Gil Jones
25th March 2009, 02:58 PM
Speaking of fluted gouges:
HSS (M2, M4, or the powdered metal kind like V10 and V15), if not heat treated when you get the billets, will require specialized methods, and a decent heat treat furnace to achieve a usable steel product after you are done grinding the gouges to the proper form.
If the HSS is already heat treated you may find it a bit troublesome to grind the geometry you want.
One reason the good tools are costly. Just my 2¢ worth.

Scrapers, parting, and bedan type forms are a different matter, and can be rather easily cut and ground to shape from already tempered HSSs, and even better, from used HSS material of the necessary dimensions.

rsser
25th March 2009, 03:01 PM
Yep, although the Thompson tools are pretty good value over your way Gil.

Still exxy getting them shipped over here but our $ is gaining as yours slides.

Gil Jones
25th March 2009, 03:21 PM
Hi Ern,
Doug Thompson does make excellent, unhandled, turning tools for a reasonable price. Freight costs to your region are not helpful.
I still do not own any of Doug's tools as I am still grinding my way through seven Crown PM gouges (they are long lasting). Should probably buy several of his bowl gouges though, and just put them away for the future.
Heck, I may have to go back to work before this mess is over.
Cheers,

Dennis R
25th March 2009, 05:09 PM
This might work for you

http://www.bigtreetools.com/articles/siegel%2018-4.pdf

....I was always told to respect my elders but its getting harder and harder
to find one.............

hughie
25th March 2009, 07:32 PM
If seems like there's a lot of specialty chisels out there for wood turning that cost a fortune, would only be used a small percentage of the time and with a little care and a small amount of skill shouldn't be too hard to make. The only problem is getting the steel and choosing what type to use. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would be the best kind of steel (high speed (I think there's a bunch of different types of this..), high carbon, cast steel etc...) for making chisels for wood turning. I've been searching for some high speed steel in sydney, but haven't had any luck unfortunately...

:U well you could try a Ezikut....... ................................shameless I know

But as to HSS Bohler Udderholm at Guidford are about the only source in Sydney
and it runs to over $350 per metre for round bar 27mm dia. :o :C :~

But have taken over most if not all the opposition and so they dominate....and we pay accordingly

Turnaround
25th March 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Was only planning to make a hooked scraper and maybe a straight bowl scraper and captive ring chisel (though not too sure if I'll bother with that one). By the looks of things though you can get cheap tools from about $25-30 which would be as good or better than anything I'd make, without the hassle. That all depends on the quality of the steel I could get though and at what price...

david D
25th March 2009, 11:08 PM
hey - great post/question & thanks for the info from replys - I'm gonna use them :)

Texian
26th March 2009, 01:09 PM
An alternative is the use of HSS tool bits made for metal turning (about $3 each) secured in tool holders made from inexpensive steel.

hughie
26th March 2009, 08:55 PM
[
Was only planning to make a hooked scraper and maybe a straight bowl scraper and captive ring chisel (though not too sure if I'll bother with that one). By the looks of things though you can get cheap tools from about $25-30 which would be as good or better than anything I'd make, without the hassle. That all depends on the quality of the steel I could get though and at what price...
[/QUOTE]

you could try at McJings off the Hume Hiighway in Auburn I think....? They sell alot of unhandled HSS tools at reasonable prices