PDA

View Full Version : Making A Bangle Bracelet - Pt 1

Ed Reiss
27th March 2009, 03:24 AM
<o></o>Making A Bangle Bracelet

<o></o>

We all accumulate small cutoff pieces from the flatwork we do, and they are tailor made for turning bangle bracelets.
The thickness of the bracelet will, of course, be determined by the thickness of the piece were using. I've made bracelets as thin as 3/8ths of an inch to 1 1/2 inches thick.

The inside average diameters are as follows:
Small = 2 1/2 inches
Medium = 2 5/8 inches
Large = 2 7/8 inches

If the person has an exceptionally small or large wrist, the way to calculate the inside diameter is to measure the distance across the knucles of the fingers.

Let's get started. Using a compass draw a 3 1/4" circle on the blank - this will be the rough outside diameter (pic 1).

Use an awl or ice pick to mark the center point. Rough cut the circle with a jigsaw or on the bandsaw (pic 2)

Using the center point that you marked with the awl or ice pick, place the blank on the tailstock live center and tighted up against the chuck jaws (pic 3).

True up the blank using a bowl gouge or scraper (pic 4).

Using 100mm jaws to hold the trued up blank, mark the inside diameter using a compass. I prefer using an OLFA beam circle cutter to mark the circle because it uses a thin sharp blade to inscribe the line (pics 5 & 6)

Now to cut out the center portion. A regular parting tool will work, but a modified grind (pic 7) makes the job much easier. Using the marked inner diameter line, cut into the blank half way (pic 8). DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH

Stop the lathe and turn the blank around. Mark the inner diameter as you did before, then cut the core out<o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o><o></o> the rest of the way (pic 9)

Using a 1/2' round nose scraper in shear/scrape mode, take light cuts to clean up the inside. Round over the inside edge (pic 10).

Stop the lathe, turn the blank around and clean up the other half of the inside the same way.

Using the same method as you did for cleaning up and shaping the inside, sand down to 400 grit, then EEE and a coat of Shellawax.

(tutorial continued in Making A Bangle Bracelet - Pt 2)

Ed Reiss
27th March 2009, 03:40 AM
Now for the outside of the blank - this time we are using the jaws in expansion mode to hold the blank, so don't over tighten...if you do there's a chance that the blank will break.

Mount the 75mm jaws on the chuck and place a wide (1/2 inch) rubber band around them - this will protect the inside of the (finished) blank from jaw damage. (pic 11).

Once again we are working on just 1/2 the width of the blank at a time (turn it around as many times as necessary).

Using a bowl gouge or a round nose scraper shape the outside contour (pic 12).

Sand the outside to 400 grit. EEE and Shellawax (pic 13)

Finished Maple bangle bracelet (pic 14)

Sir Stinkalot
27th March 2009, 06:57 AM
Great little tutorial :2tsup: Thanks

hughie
27th March 2009, 09:39 AM
Ed,

Very good tutorial, clear and concise. :2tsup: opens up some possibilites

pitbull
27th March 2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do the
tutorial Ed.:2tsup:

new_guy90
27th March 2009, 06:51 PM
wow that looks like a fun job :2tsup:another project for the books thanks for the tutorial Ed.

Patrick

dr4g0nfly
28th March 2009, 07:16 AM
I take a 5" x 1 1/2" blank, pop a hole for a tea-light in on side and cut a ring just like you show off the other I've dozens of the things laying around in the workshop, too nice a bit of wood to throw, now I know what to do with them.

Many thanks

Ad de Crom
28th March 2009, 07:54 AM
Ed, nice tutorial, but for a faceplate turner like me I have to improvise to get this done.
Ad

hughie
28th March 2009, 08:07 AM
nice tutorial, but for a faceplate turner like me I have to improvise to get this done.

Piece of cake for you Ad, I reckon. :U

Ed Reiss
28th March 2009, 12:03 PM
...well, glad the tut has helped. So c'mon guys...lets see pics of the ones your gonna' make:U

Ad de Crom
28th March 2009, 08:48 PM
...well, glad the tut has helped. So c'mon guys...lets see pics of the ones your gonna' make:U

Hope to surprise you one day Ed :2tsup:
Cheers. Ad

orificiam
28th March 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Ed for the tutorial,:2tsup::2tsup: now off to the shed to find all
those bits of wood.
Cheers Tony.:):)

Tiger
28th March 2009, 09:32 PM
Nice tutorial Ed. Appreciate the picture of the modified parting tool.

Sawdust Maker
29th March 2009, 07:54 PM
nice tute :2tsup:
thanks