PDA

View Full Version : Australian RED CEDAR

Paul Willcocks
28th March 2009, 11:58 AM
Hi

My first posting. An old chap here in North Qld has a shed chock-a-block with red cedar, everything from posts to 12 inch wide boards. Hard to say how many cubes...but you would need more than a semi to pick it up!

He wants me to buy it and I would love to, but, way too much for this little apprentice. We agreed to sort out his stock into sizes and bundles of 1 cubic metre lots, straight after Easter. Then, the weather is good enough to work outside the shed without fear of rain. It's all 10 - 20 years old. It is stacked properly, dry and top shelf quality.
He doesn't want to deal with people stick by stick. Is anyone out there interested? How much is a fair price for this stuff?
Cheers
Paul

Greg Ward
28th March 2009, 12:47 PM
Boutique Timbers could be interested. The semi would take around 20 cube and Mal would take the lot.
Can you post photos?
Thanks Greg

Paul Willcocks
28th March 2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Greg,
no worries. I'll speak to Jeff to get a photo, probably be a week or so cause I live outa town and Jeff is not always at home... 20 cubes eh!! you may need more that one Semi!!!

I will get a few shots of the stack, then pull out a few lengths and get some close-ups.. maybe belt sand the end of a stick to see the stuff more clerarly!!

Paul Willcocks
28th March 2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks Greg for the info.. I think he is in for a shock re pricing.... your info helps heaps . This could take a while. Will keep in touch
Cheers
Paul

journeyman Mick
28th March 2009, 04:42 PM
Paul,
while timber may be pretty pricey on a retail level, there's a fair difference between what you would pay for it at the yard, what a business would expect to pay for pack lots and what a dealer would be willing to pay for a truck load (or more). To give you some idea, retail price for New Guinea Rosewood around here is about $3300 per M3 but I can buy it from a wholesaler (as a joinery) for about $2200, and if I get it in pack lots I pay even less. I'd guess that a dealer will be offering around the $1000 per M3 mark, depending on the quality. Best bet to maximise return with minimal outlay in time and effort would be to sort the timber into packs of the same cross sectional dimensions, and if there's enough of it, same/similar length packs and strap it all up. Record the sizes and quantities in some permanent manner on each pack and then send a flyer with all this info to all the local joineries etc.

Mick

Paul Willcocks
29th March 2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks Mick,

I agree and apprecaite the facts and numbers you presented, me being an amateur.

This is a case of someone "seeing an opportunity" back when Hawkie stopped native forest logging (1989) with a three(?) year period to finalise existing logging contracts. Mills up here ran 24/7 and stockpiled the results.... now no-one really wants to pay a premium for red despite the retirement packages planned by some with it. As far as some are concerned if you can get $5000 /cube at a stick rate, then the whole pile is worth exactly the same!!!

I will try to help him with it but I dunno how he will take the pricing news!!

Cheers
Paul

pjt
30th March 2009, 02:39 AM
Hi Paul, I'd be interested in a cube or two, just depends on final pricing.
Peter.

Paul Willcocks
30th March 2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks Peter,

Some lads have assisted me greatly is establishing a fair price... I guess it is now up to me to see if I can lever some stock out of him!!!

will keep you posted
Cheers

bobsreturn2003
30th March 2009, 10:41 AM
may be interested where are you ? cheers bob

Paul Willcocks
30th March 2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Bob,
Proserpine,
Cheers
Paul

Shane Watson
30th March 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Bob,
Proserpine,
Cheers
Paul

Mate I'd probably be interested, have facilities in MKY to transport down to me here as well.

Anyway, will wait to here further news from you.

Cheers!

Shane

pjt
31st March 2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks Paul,
Will keep an eye out
Peter

andrewpfeiffer
17th April 2009, 07:54 AM
Hi

My first posting. An old chap here in North Qld has a shed chock-a-block with red cedar, everything from posts to 12 inch wide boards. Hard to say how many cubes...but you would need more than a semi to pick it up!

He wants me to buy it and I would love to, but, way too much for this little apprentice. We agreed to sort out his stock into sizes and bundles of 1 cubic metre lots, straight after Easter. Then, the weather is good enough to work outside the shed without fear of rain. It's all 10 - 20 years old. It is stacked properly, dry and top shelf quality.
He doesn't want to deal with people stick by stick. Is anyone out there interested? How much is a fair price for this stuff?
Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul
I would be interested in a few cubs of Red Cedar let me know your price and if you could send some photos and sizes if available?

Regards

Andrew Pfeiffer

Rockhampton

Paul Willcocks
17th April 2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Andrew,

No worries. Will be speaking to him soon to see what he wants. I'll be getting some photos. Will keep you posted
Cheers
Paul

aston
21st April 2009, 09:38 PM
I would interested in the lot
as always depends on price condition and location
I am in melbourne
happy to come and look
could you send some preliminary photos
thanks

chowcini
13th May 2009, 11:19 PM
Mate , Extremely keen is it still for sale?? and how many cube do you think there is???Cheers Paul
:oo:

Paul Willcocks
14th May 2009, 09:57 AM
Hi again,
Not sure exactly how many cube, easily 25 - 30 from what I have seen so far. Are you able to offer him a price?
Cheers

pjt
16th May 2009, 12:24 AM
Hi paul,
The bloke that's got the red cedar for sale, looks like he doesn't know how much he wants for it, or is he trying to see how much he can get for it, does he want to sell it all to one buyer or will he part with one or 2 cubes to individuals that want some:?
Peter

Paul Willcocks
16th May 2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Peter,
The poor bloke had a bad horse accident recently (head injuries). He was going to do stuff with his cedar stock but that has now changed. He wants to deal with a little people as possible, because of his ongoing illness so a bulk buy is his preferred option. However he wants to get a maximum price for his efforts. I agreed to assist him and to get some stock out to measure photograph etc and make up a few 1 cube bundles. However I do not want to move till he settles on a price.... but I cannot push him!!

Hope this helps...
will keep you posted.
Cheers
Paul

pjt
17th May 2009, 12:45 AM
No worries Paul, I can understand, I'd want what it's worth as well, the way I see it tho is that if he's not prepared to sell in small quatities a (stick or two) based on what others have said the bigger players r only going to offer the lower $ if they buy the lot, then us smaller blokes miss out, I am prepared to pay a fair thing for a cube or two but he prolly needs to decide on a price based on volume and us buyers can take it or leave it or maybe follow up with a bit more negotiation, me being a buyer wants it as cheap as I can get it but I don't want to offer a price that might be deemed as unreasonable either, If u get my drift.
In the meantime just have to wait till he works out a price/volume.
Peter.

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 08:31 AM
HI Peter,
Well I finally caught up with him. His price is $5,000 a cube. I tried to change his mind but the miller who cut his cedar was selling it (the same cedar) for that price back 10 - 15 years ago, when Jeff got his stock. So as far as he is concerned.. that will be his price. I didn't get any photos as it was in a dark shed and it was a dusty mass, no detail in the photo. But he has shyt-loads. So if you are still interested I can arrange for you to meet up. Other wise we sit and wait!!!!

Cheers
Paul

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 08:34 AM
HI Greg,
Well I finally caught up with him. His price is $5,000 a cube. I tried to change his mind but the miller who cut his cedar was selling it (the same cedar) for that price back 10 - 15 years ago, when Jeff got his stock. So as far as he is concerned.. that will be his price. I didn't get any photos as it was in a dark shed and it was a dusty mass, no detail in the photo. Will keep in touch

Cheers
Paul

Cheers
Paul

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 08:35 AM
HI Bob,
Well I finally caught up with him. His price is $5,000 a cube. I tried to change his mind but the miller who cut his cedar was selling it (the same cedar) for that price back 10 - 15 years ago, when Jeff got his stock. So as far as he is concerned.. that will be his price. I didn't get any photos as it was in a dark shed and it was a dusty mass, no detail in the photo. But he has shyt-loads. So if you are still interested I can arrange for you to meet up. Other wise we sit and wait!!!!

Cheers
Paul

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 08:36 AM
HI Shane,

Cheers
Paul

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 08:38 AM
HI Andrew,
Well I finally caught up with him. His price is $5,000 a cube. I tried to change his mind but the miller who cut his cedar was selling it (the same cedar) for that price back 10 - 15 years ago, when Jeff got his stock. So as far as he is concerned.. that will be his price. I didn't get any photos as it was in a dark shed and it was a dusty mass, no detail in the photo. So if you are still interested I can arrange for you to meet up. Other wise we sit and wait!!!!

Cheers
Paul

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 08:39 AM
HI Ashton,
Well I finally caught up with him. His price is $5,000 a cube. I tried to change his mind but the miller who cut his cedar was selling it (the same cedar) for that price back 10 - 15 years ago, when Jeff got his stock. So as far as he is concerned.. that will be his price. I didn't get any photos as it was in a dark shed and it was a dusty mass, no detail in the photo. So if you are still interested I can arrange for you to meet up. Other wise we sit and wait!!!!

Cheers
Paul

aston
26th May 2009, 09:36 AM
seems a little steeeep!
it may be worth that board by board delvered to some exotic location
done a ring around
can be had for 2500-3500 around town
wish him luck.
i am way way out at that price.:o

Wongo
26th May 2009, 10:42 AM
Paul, best of luck to your mate because he needs it.

For that price, I would pick them board by board, stick by stick. "No I don't want that one. this one is cracked, next...."

We all know where this thread is heading to, just like all other similar threads, but don't take it too personal. It is all about business.:2tsup:

Paul Willcocks
26th May 2009, 11:48 AM
Agree!!!

Shane Watson
26th May 2009, 10:01 PM
Agree with the others, i can get it delivered for far less $$

Paul Willcocks
27th May 2009, 01:10 PM
Yep.
but it is not the end of the road as that cedar is going nowhere at that price!!!

InterTD6
27th May 2009, 04:13 PM
That price seems to be honest enough, in comparison a stick of green rough sawn HWD from bunnings is $2200 a cube
regards inter

Greg Ward
7th June 2009, 05:53 PM
Inter, I'll arrange as many cubes of select grade red cedar as you want; delivered FOC Coffs for that price........
I agree the timber may be 'worth' that, but you can get New Guinea red cedar in bulk for 1/2 that cost and there are suppliers selling dry red cedar delivered from $3000-5000/cube, cheaper for hobby grade.