PDA

View Full Version : Porous grain Help it will not polish up!!

Paul Willcocks
28th March 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi

I have just complete 2 coffee tables made from 2 slabs of Kadagi joined together. It looks terrific but for a couple of patches around some knots. The grain turns up towards the surface and the oil just keeps soaking in.
How do i fill the porous grain so that the oil with take a polish/mirror finish. Is there a simple product to use? Some locals around here say pour some turps onto an old foam esky and use the resultant liquid as a filler (apparently this works).. But I don't want to risk this on the coffee tables tops without a test trial?

Any ideas anyone??

cheers
Paul

ficfac
28th March 2009, 05:11 PM
There are various commercial sanding sealers available. Also, some types of hard wax are suitable. Whatever you go with be sure to do a patch test on some scrap of the same species. Good luck!

endgrain
28th March 2009, 09:21 PM
can appreciate the dilemma & without a decent pic of whats happening, sounds like the slab is still wet?
we have the same problems with burr walnut veneer occasionally after stripping.
if totally dry, try mixing y'r Kadagi sawdust (if you've kept some) with some hide glue or shellac. apply liberally to the affected grain. should seal it up. sand. build up your desired finish.
note: nothing will work if the timber hasn't been cured/ dried properly except time.

Paul Willcocks
29th March 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks mate

Cheers
Paul

Paul Willcocks
29th March 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks endgrain,

The slabs were dried (2 years) shellac sounds like a good idea with a bit a kadagi dust

Cheers

KorDes
2nd April 2009, 02:49 PM
What sort of oil are you using and how many coats have you applied so far?

I've made some end grain chopping boards and coated them with haarlem oil ( type of danish oil). First coat soaks it up like a sponge, let that dry over night. Apply second coat with 0000 steel wool and wipe any excess off.
First coat seals it and second coat finishes it.

Try giving it another coat of oil after its dried.

Paul Willcocks
2nd April 2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Kordes,
I am using Danish oil. Have applied 10 coats so far. Thanks for the Haarlem oil suggestion
cheers