PDA

View Full Version : melting wax

ElizaLeahy
28th March 2009, 04:39 PM
The temperature here is nothing like what the guys had down south earlier in the year, but inside my shed, with the door open, the wax is melting off my pen blanks.

Other then making them stick together, is this a bad thing?

orraloon
28th March 2009, 05:10 PM
I dont think it will hurt them too much as long as the a wax seal remains over the wood. Your shed sounds a bit hot for seasoning wood however so do you have anyplace a bit cooler to store the wood.
Regards
John

RETIRED
28th March 2009, 05:23 PM
Somewhere in the shade with a cool zephyr caressing it.:D
Under the house is good.

Grumpy John
28th March 2009, 05:56 PM
Somewhere in the shade with a cool zephyr caressing it.:D

Something like this............:D

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=100658&stc=1&d=1238223324

ElizaLeahy
28th March 2009, 05:59 PM
only if I bring it in the house, and I think that would be frowned upon.

RETIRED
28th March 2009, 07:01 PM
Something like this............:D

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=100658&stc=1&d=1238223324The sad part is they were nearly modern cars when I did my apprenticeship.:-:D

mkypenturner
28th March 2009, 08:08 PM
eliza where in your shed are you storing them try putting them in cardboard box and put under a shelf that is if u have any room :U have mine in cupboard no probs and i live mackay nth qld :devilred:

Calm
28th March 2009, 08:16 PM
Now I think the best advice on this subject would come from overseas - I hear Brasil uses a lot of wax:D:D:D:2tsup::2tsup::q:doh:

robutacion
29th March 2009, 03:03 AM
The temperature here is nothing like what the guys had down south earlier in the year, but inside my shed, with the door open, the wax is melting off my pen blanks.

Other then making them stick together, is this a bad thing?

Hi Eliza,

If the blanks you are talking about are those that I sent you, don't worry, that wax I used is very thick and it will never run completely out. What is happening is the top layer of the wax becomes sticky when expose to reasonable high temperatures, I will not be surprised if that storage room outside the house and with the sun hitting it, if would get temps around the 50's+ , not difficult to achieve at all. At least is a place where you can put your green or wet timber to dry quick smart!:o:doh:

Maybe you need a shade sail to keep the sun out!

Any more use for the hammer, lately...?

Gees... you should be very busy!:;:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Gil Jones
29th March 2009, 02:50 PM
Eliiza,
If you want to keep the wax in contact with the blanks, just put them in a plastic, zip-lock bag. The wax can soften or melt, but cannot go anywhere. Even leave the bag open so they can let off moisture (if they are green wood).

munruben
29th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Wrap them in alluminium foil and try to store in a cool corner.