PDA

View Full Version : What wood is this???

bowl-basher
28th March 2009, 05:26 PM
Hi all:question::question:
I was given this lump of wood as a "half log" the bark looked like camphor laurel and in fact that was what I thought it was until I cut the halflog into a bowl blank.(no distintive scent) it turned well and finished well it has a sent not unlike Jackaranda or Liquid Amber but has a much more defined grain than either of these. I think it came from the Sydney region
The finished bowl is 190 in dia and 120 high finished to 400 n/c sealer and 3 coats of Glow
would love to know what you think
Bowl Basher

artme
28th March 2009, 06:21 PM
Beautiful grain, beautiful bowl!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Can't help with identification,sorry.

eisbaer
28th March 2009, 06:37 PM
looks slightly like scribbly gum. Also from around sydney. It'd be unusual to have a piece that's not cracked though.

Toymaker Len
28th March 2009, 10:53 PM
Lovely bowl basher. Looks to be white cedar. Light and strong, grain exactly like aust. red cedar even to the faint black line in the growth ring but that light honey colour.

ficfac
29th March 2009, 01:26 AM
really nice wood :D

OGYT
29th March 2009, 05:04 AM
Whatever it is, it's gorgeous wood; Well done. I like that foot, too. :D

artme
29th March 2009, 09:05 AM
I had thought of White Cedar too, Len but the bark description really doesn't fit.

orraloon
29th March 2009, 02:02 PM
Does not matter what it is. It looks great.

Gil Jones
29th March 2009, 02:41 PM
Hello Basher,
I like your work:thyel:, but I do not know what the wood is.
The color does have a look a bit like mature Camphor, but you would know by smell if it was that.
Cheers,

ElizaLeahy
29th March 2009, 03:06 PM
It's extree

And it's very VERY pretty!

bowl-basher
29th March 2009, 03:20 PM
Lovely bowl basher. Looks to be white cedar. Light and strong, grain exactly like aust. red cedar even to the faint black line in the growth ring but that light honey colour.
:doh::doh:
Len I think you are correct......I had a bit of a problem in the center of the bowl and the underside of the foot with a bit of tearout and now that you mention it white cedar is a real B@*# on end grain I had a small bit here from a lamp that I re made for my sister and the grain is almost exactly the same At least that is what I am going to put on the bottom Thanks
Bowl Basher

Toymaker Len
29th March 2009, 08:47 PM
Yes it really looks like white cedar and the bark can be very tricky to identify especially when you have trees where the bark changes from juvenile to adult.

weisyboy
29th March 2009, 08:56 PM
its beenatree:2tsup: