PDA

View Full Version : Sunday in the shed

thefixer
29th March 2009, 08:45 PM
A couple of prezzies for some friends of friends who kindly allowed me to take a trailer load of wood after they had some trees felled. They wouldn't allow me to pay for the wood so these hopefully will come as a pleasant surprise them.

The one on the left is blackwood and the other is walnut. Both sanded to 1200 and finished with "wipe on poly". I will apply a few more coats of poly during the week.

Cheers
Shorty

Calm
29th March 2009, 09:08 PM
The old adage of give something back - never hurts and keeps things on a good footing for when they get another lot of "good" wood.

Goodonya have a greenie for your morals:2tsup::2tsup:

BTW great looking job there

Cheers

watson
29th March 2009, 09:12 PM
Didja give 'em a good bottle to test them with??

thefixer
29th March 2009, 09:31 PM
Didja give 'em a good bottle to test them with??

Had one here somewhere:rolleyes: Hmmmm, must have evaporated:oo:

watson
29th March 2009, 09:37 PM
Bugger!..they have a habit of doing that around here too.
Good turnings though....and I hope the gift is appreciated.

thefixer
29th March 2009, 09:49 PM
The old adage of give something back - never hurts and keeps things on a good footing for when they get another lot of "good" wood.

Goodonya have a greenie for your morals:2tsup::2tsup:

BTW great looking job there

Cheers

Thanks Dave and I hope all goes well with the bowl/platter charity run.

Cheers
Shorty

Gil Jones
30th March 2009, 03:41 AM
Very nice goblets:2tsup:
Thoughtful gifts too.

ElizaLeahy
30th March 2009, 08:51 AM
Lovely shape - I'm sure that they will love them - nice big fluid holding area! :D

TTIT
30th March 2009, 09:11 AM
........... They wouldn't allow me to pay for the wood so these hopefully will come as a pleasant surprise them..............
Nice work Shorty - they look good :2tsup: My Dad passed on the family tradition of returning something made from wood we were given - except if it came from another woodie in which case they can bloody well make their own (as he would have said) :U:;

Ed Reiss
30th March 2009, 12:11 PM
Luverly gifts for those friends of friends, Shorty...your a good man to do that:U

old pete
30th March 2009, 03:17 PM
Nice job on the goblets fixer. I hardly ever make goblets now due to lack of demand.

I used to put in a little message with the new product.

" OK for dish washer but essential you get in with me to hold me steady during washing process"

Old Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Nice job, Shorty! :2tsup:

I hardly ever make goblets now due to lack of demand.

There's your mistake: making 'em based on demand. Goblets should be made for the sheer love of making 'em. :wink: If other turners only turned bowls/pens/whatever on demand, the woodturning forums would be a sad, lonely place.

At least with goblets, in a pinch you can always trim off the stem, make the foot into a lid and sell 'em as lidded trinket boxes. :innocent:

thefixer
30th March 2009, 08:46 PM
Nice job, Shorty! :2tsup:

There's your mistake: making 'em based on demand. Goblets should be made for the sheer love of making 'em. :wink: If other turners only turned bowls/pens/whatever on demand, the woodturning forums would be a sad, lonely place.

At least with goblets, in a pinch you can always trim off the stem, make the foot into a lid and sell 'em as lidded trinket. :innocent:

Aaaah, so that's what I can do with that bucket full of sticks that have a disc at one end:D

munruben
30th March 2009, 08:52 PM
Nice work and a really nice gift. Anyone would be pleased with those.

joe greiner
30th March 2009, 09:25 PM
Beautiful goblets, Shorty. And a beautiful gesture, too.

Cheers,
Joe

TTIT
30th March 2009, 09:55 PM
.......... If other turners only turned bowls/pens/whatever on demand, the woodturning forums would be a sad, lonely place. :innocent:......................... and my spare room would be empty :B:B:B:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2009, 12:54 AM
Aaaah, so that's what I can do with that bucket full of sticks that have a disc at one end:D

And I wasn't joking. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=31668) :U

Time to get cracking!