PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Tolga Woodworks, FNQ

Ian Runge
7th June 2004, 01:56 PM
Just got back (actually, a couple of weeks ago) from a trip to far north Qld during which I called in to Tolga Woodworks located just north of Atherton. When SWMBO and I are travelling we go from craft shop to craft shop (mostly her craft shops) and in some of these places you see some pretty terrible examples of woodcraftsmanship (cheap imports from China etc). NOT SO at Tolga Woodworks.

Trevor Allwood (what a great name for a woodie!) makes very high quality stuff, from low cost souvenir or gift pieces to fine furniture retailing for thousands of dollars, many pieces accompanied by descriptions of educational value, using the beautiful woods of FNQ. The retail shop is next to his workshop and he is happy for people to also walk around the workshop. He gave freely of his knowledge of FNQ timbers (whilst I drooled over his timber supply!).

We all know about the problems of wood movement, but how would you like to be making fine furniture in Atherton (Humidity ~ 100%) and shipping it to Mt. Isa (Humidity ~ 0%)? Woodworking in the remote parts of Australia has its own set of subtleties!

If you are travelling to FNQ, a side trip to Tolga Woodworks is highly recommended.

IanR