PDA

View Full Version : egg trial

oldiephred
30th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Saw a very large root ball of a wind blown spruce along the shore while fishing on a lake last summer. It had obviously been exposed for a long time and had originally grown in an area where there was a lot of peat (which makes the soil quite acedic and generally causes the buried wood to be brown/red). Decided to bring some of the root branches home and think about what to do with them.
Friday I decided to try my first egg. simple enough project but I think it turned out OK. Will now consider some goblets or whatever. Don't want to rush into these things.:no:

bluegum30
30th March 2009, 09:40 AM
That looks nice though it does make you think what sort of design would bring out the most attractive thing to have made out of such a find. Please don't think i don't like the egg design i do, just putting another view.:U Lloyd.

Ed Reiss
30th March 2009, 12:07 PM
Nice looking wood....nice looking turning :2tsup:

artme
30th March 2009, 02:40 PM
Nice egg!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: and a good find with the rootball.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2009, 05:42 PM
Mmmm. Yum! :2tsup:

The only problem with bits like that is discovering what shapes are hidden inside. Goblets? Not in the pictured piece... but an egg-cup or two perhaps?

new_guy90
30th March 2009, 06:57 PM
wow thats nice i love it looks really hard must have been fun to turn lol thanks for showing looks good for an egg :2tsup:

Patrick

Ad de Crom
30th March 2009, 09:16 PM
So close to Eastern....)))
Nice turning, I guess you need some more eggs!!
Ad :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
31st March 2009, 11:19 AM
How can you tell, from drift wood, what the timber is!!??

I wouldn't have thought of even picking up drift wood - now I want to go to the beach!

Lovely round egg - yum!

robutacion
31st March 2009, 02:08 PM
Saw a very large root ball of a wind blown spruce along the shore while fishing on a lake last summer. It had obviously been exposed for a long time and had originally grown in an area where there was a lot of peat (which makes the soil quite acedic and generally causes the buried wood to be brown/red). Decided to bring some of the root branches home and think about what to do with them.
Friday I decided to try my first egg. simple enough project but I think it turned out OK. Will now consider some goblets or whatever. Don't want to rush into these things.:no:

Hi oldiephred,

You know, until recently, with my pen blanks making, the only use I had for small pieces of timber, was making wooden eggs. I did found that I could use lots of good pieces and timbers that either don't grow to big tree size or branches that are too small in diameter to do much else. I also found that egg making is fun and easy with the help of a simple home made jig, they are also excellent to make as timber samples, giving a very good idea of the timber qualities, colours, workability, texture and finish, before you do anything else major (bigger) with that timber(s).

Very decorative and pleasant to the eye, making a good item to collect.

I have just recently finished 150 wooden eggs made out of only 2 species, Malaleuca and Knotty Pine (Easter Time, people requirements). One of them, made of something that I've picked-up from somewhere (the different one), is going to my personal collection as a one off type thing.

I'm sorry to disagree with you bluegum30, but I find that the simple shape/form of an egg, is a very good option for making use of a small piece of timber, but many other options are equally acceptable, obviously...!:;

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Mrs Woodpecker
31st March 2009, 03:35 PM
Well done !! Thanks to TTIT I love making eggs. :):)
Regards,
Shirley

Gil Jones
31st March 2009, 03:44 PM
Very good looking eggs all around.
Do y'all feed your chooks sawdust?:)